path report post surgery

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
lds1111

path report post surgery

Postby lds1111 » Sat May 05, 2018 12:18 am

I am 11 days postop laparoscopic extended ileocolic resection with a diagnosis of colon cancer. The first colonoscopy path report said the malignancy was in the distal transverse colon at 80 cm but the surgeon's op report diagnosis says proximal transverse colon cancer. The pathology report from the colon resection says no residual malignancy identified but the first path report says the tumor has invaded the submucosa.

I have been told the hospital where I had my surgery makes a lot of mistakes for which I have proof when I had my second colonoscopy, I was handed the pictures and discharge instructions for a totally different patient who was a male at that. My friend told me that she went in for a needle biopsy and they started prepping her for major surgery.

My question is can I really take the path report as good news and when they did the first colonoscopy, they actually clipped the whole tumor at that time and that is why there is no residual malignancy? Or, do I need to get a second opinion on the path report and verify with my surgeon that the correct specimens were sent to the path lab and the correct part of the colon was resected and removed?

I have not gotten a call from him about the results so I guess that means good news. I

StDrogo

Re: path report post surgery

Postby StDrogo » Sat May 05, 2018 6:06 am

It doesn't sound like any real errors have been made. Colon cancer from the cecum all the way to the splenic flexure is considered proximal colon cancer; the path report is merely saying that the lesion was in the distal portion of the transverse colon (your surgeon's diagnosis is stating that you have proximal colon cancer in the transverse colon, as opposed to proximal colon cancer in the ascending colon). The absence of residual disease is referring to the absence of cancer cells at the distal surgical resection margins; the observation that your tumor invaded the submucosa (i.e., T1) is recording the depth of bowel wall invasion—in your case, there are many layers to go until you hit the circumferential resection margin (which will include the attached pericolic fat as I presume your resection was performed en bloc).
Wife Age 33
02/17 dx Ovarian mass, ascites, pleural effusions
03/17 Resection of 16 x 20 cm ovarian mass; CEA = 10, CA125 = 180, CA19-9 = 36
04/17 Emergency surgery, diastatic perforation, purulent peritonitis, extended right hemicolectomy, well-differentiated adenocarcinoma in splenic flexure, 1/16 lymph
11/17 CT = NED, CEA < 1
12/17 CRS (peritoneal nodules of foreign body giant cell reaction, no evidence of malignancy; liver resection—1 cm FBGCR and .5 cm focal nodular hyperplasia), HIPEC

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”