Researching for my dad

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
suziblaque
Facebook Username: Susan smith

Researching for my dad

Postby suziblaque » Thu May 03, 2018 1:12 pm

My dad was diagnosed with colon cancer in November of last yr. He had the surgery where they removed about 6 to 8 inches of his colon then reattached it together. Now he has to go get that spot stretched bc the opening is too small and he can't go to the bathroom. He's so backed up now that it goes all the way around to the other side. So basically he's truely full of s@#t. This will be his 3rd time having to do this. I guess my question is is there anything else that can n done besides this? He can't keep going through this. He's 76 yrs old.

Tia Susan smith

Lee

Re: Researching for my dad

Postby Lee » Thu May 03, 2018 8:32 pm

Sorry to hear this is happening to your dad. Can they possibly put a stint in the are that needs to be reinlarged. Maybe leave it in that area for a few months.

I'm not a medical person, butt just my 1st thought.

Good luck,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

suziblaque
Facebook Username: Susan smith

Postby suziblaque » Thu May 03, 2018 8:52 pm

I asked the Dr that same thing and there's no stint they can put in there. I'm stumped myself.

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Sun May 06, 2018 2:45 pm

I'm sorry your Dad has to have the area where his colon is reattached stretched for a third time!*hugs* I hope his stretching procedure goes well!*hugs* I had the stretching done with a saline filled balloon once following my surgery. My surgery was on the left. I would talk to your Dad's doctor to find out if there's something that would help keep the area open.*hugs*
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

MissMolly

Postby MissMolly » Sun May 06, 2018 3:27 pm

For someone with stenosis of the colon regular/daily use of Miralax would be one area to discuss with his physician.

Miralax (or similar osmotic laxative/agent; magnesium citrate powder; Milk of Magnesia) is often used by individuals with colon narrowing in order to keep fecal matter moving through narrowed passages. Miralax would be titrated in a daily dosage to achieve a fecal consistency of mushy oatmeal. It works by bringing more water into the colon and providing a kinetic effect on that smooth muscle, facilitating the movement of fecal matter through the intestinal tract.
Karen
Dear friend to Bella Piazza, former Colon Club member (NWGirl).
I have a permanent ileostomy and offer advice on living with an ostomy - in loving remembrance of Bella
I am on Palliative Care for broad endocrine failure + Addison's disease + osteonecrosis of both hips/jaw + immunosuppression. I live a simple life due to frail health.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”