Last Folfox (#12) on Friday!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
AppleTree

Last Folfox (#12) on Friday!

Postby AppleTree » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:40 pm

My last Folfox treatment is scheduled for Friday, provided my platlets are good. We switched from every 2 weeks to 3 weeks because my counts have been too low at the 2 week mark.

I met with my oncologist today. She said for me to keep my port for about a year. Baseline CT scan 8 weeks after last chemo and then every 3 months for 2 years, then switch to every 6 months.

Oncologist is going to continue my Sandostatin shots for diarrhea once a month, and flush port at the same appointment. That shot is so helpful and gives me very normal bowel movement/life for 3 weeks. On the 4th week I have to add Lomotol.

I am feeling pretty good tonight. I want that last chemo, but on the other hand...dreading the being sick...it really knocks me off my feet for a few days. But, at least this time I do not have to have the Neulasta shot. I have been surrounded by flu, pneumonia and bronchial infections all winter and did not get sick 1x myself. So yay for Neulasta, but oh the side effects.

So, I am crossing 1 finish line. Bittersweet. My sister is nearing her finish line too, but her finish line is with Hospice.

Still, around treatment 5 I thought this date was very far away, and now it is just in a few days. Hang in there everybody!
Diag Feb 5, 2016 Age 45
3 cm tumor 5 cm from verge
Radiation + Xeloda pills - 3000mg 5x week
3/14 - 4/16 - 25 sessions
Shrank just over 50% L nodes 0/13
Remove rectum with temp Ileo 6/17
Reversal 7/20 due to infection
Acute hepatitis August. Chemo cancelled
June to September 2016 - 58 days in hospital

6/16, MRI shadow in lung
Pet - 6.6mm Met in Upper R lobe
7/30 VAT surgery Mass General/Boston
8/24 port
8/30 - 4/28 Folfox. 12 rounds
June CT shows new lung Mets.
July/Oct PETs...CLEAR!

Soccermom2boys

Re: Last Folfox (#12) on Friday!

Postby Soccermom2boys » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:08 pm

Yay Appletree, so happy for you! 12 rounds of FOLFOX, that is a feat—way to go! It is so hard to see there being an end to the treatments for the bulk of the time you are going through them, but once you get down to the last few you can look back and realize you are capable of more than you think. Relatively speaking sounds like your treatments were uneventful especially with this wicked flu season we just experienced—glad the Neulasta was helpful. I too did Neulasta (I think I had to do it after five of my treatments) and not easy on the joints, but worth it if you can make it to the other side of the treatments with no major setbacks.

Sorry to hear about your sister’s separate finish line—I hope you two have been able to get in quality time with each other. Sending you good vibes for Friday and a speedy turnaround with side effects next week. Congrats! :D
8/3/15 Went in with a hemorrhoid, came out with a tumor
8/12/15 Biopsy from colonoscopy confirms RC (45 yrs old--zero family history!)
9/21 - 10/29/15 chemorad 28 tx (with Xeloda)
12/17/15 APR with perm colostomy
Pathology report stages me as IIIA (T2N1M0)--1/15 LN detects cancer
2/3/16 chemo port inserted
2/8-6/2/16 8 rounds of Folfox

ANDRETEXAS

Re: Last Folfox (#12) on Friday!

Postby ANDRETEXAS » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:51 pm

Congratulations. I managed 12 rounds of FOLFOX. It wasn't easy, but I learned to take one treatment at a time and to try to keep the side effects to a minimum as much as I could. I generally tried to put myself in a state of mind that didn't allow me to think about it. I kept working for the most part and exercised when I was not tired. I know you will be relieved when the last drop is dispensed. I think my follow-up plan is similar to what was prescribed by your oncologist. I'm sure everything will go well for you. Just keep that positive attitude. My best wishes and again, good job! Andre
2/10/14 - Colon resect
2/13 - DX- Stage IIIb
6 of 18 lymph nodes cancerous
3/7 - Port placed
3/11 - FOLFOX (12 rds w/full oxi)
8/14 - Chemo finish
8/25 - CT- Inc
9/5 - clean PET
12/10- clean CT

3/2/15 - Clean colonoscopy & port removed
3/4 - clean CT
9/21- clean CT

3/23/16 - clean CT

2/22/17- clean CT

3/21/18 - clean CT
4/1 - clean colonoscopy

3/11/19 - clean CT
9/23 - Five-year release - Annual visits now !

4/13/23 - clean colonoscopy

ONE DAY AT A TIME !

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”