New life after 25 years - Easy Enema

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
NCG
Facebook Username: Jim Fish

New life after 25 years - Easy Enema

Postby NCG » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:26 pm

So I've be at this now for 25+ years and have learned just a few things. There have been very significant changes over the years since. When I had my surgery, the procedure was to remove everything associated with the blood supply where the tumor was. So I lost not only my rectum, but a few feet of colon along with it. Now I realize that everyone's digestive system can work differently from the next person. One of my first attempts at trying to provide some stability or regularity was to analyze the food that I ate and the results that it produced. After about two years I found that it was a waste of time. There were too many variables involved. There was the combinations of food that was eaten previous days, the physical activities of the body, the rest that the body had, and the attitude of the body. So there were a few things that I found that would help to some degree such as eating plenty of fruit which would help expel stuff, and eating meat to provide some body to the waste which would help reduce the runny stuff. I took Metamucil at first for a time but found out that it was really only giving me gas. So I lived with the situation as best as I could, grateful to be alive.

But things got to a point where I realized I needed to do something different. During the Spring and Summer months, my wife and I spend a lot of time cooking at our church campgrounds. And of course whenever we went to work there, any sort of routine that I had gained would be totally interrupted. There would be days when I would make 25 or more trips to the bathroom. My bowels would get into an oozing mode where things would ooze out. Yet going to the john and try as I might, I could make nothing move. Needless to say, after that many trips and wipes of the rear end, your wiping blood now. I had to do something different. I saw in the internet where one person had great success doing an enema daily. I had tried that once or twice, but the only thing I was aware of using was the Fleet bottles with the long sharp point. That didn't' work with me well because although I could get it through the anus fairly decently, I couldn't get it through the area where I got re-connected without considerable pain. Where I got reconnected is just behind the anus and there is a half twist to it. So I searched the internet for something I could use that would be portable and that I would not have to get into some weird position or lay on the floor. I found on Amazon.com an item which was at the time called "Vaginal/Colon cleansing kit" which sold for just under $17. It is a plastic bottle that can hold 300ml of solution, a pump that fits on the top, about 18 inches of plastic tubing, and an attachment at the end that is about the size of a finger with a round end to it. I bought one immediately and since have bought two more. It allows me to sit on the john, easily insert the end into my system, and pump the warm water into me taking a few minutes to do so to allow the water to disperse inside. I then hold it as long as I can which isn't very long and then let things go.

I have been doing this for almost a year and have been given a new life. I found that when I do it shortly after dinner, that I have a comfortable nights rest and probably 95 percent or more of the time a comfortable normal day. I jokingly tell people that know about my situation that I've had to learn how to pee standing up again. Now I know this might not work for everyone, but it sure worked for me. I also want everyone who does decide to do enemas that this rather cheap easy device is available. Stay positive.....there are others in worse situations.

sadysue

Re: New life after 25 years - Easy Enema

Postby sadysue » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:04 pm

That is amazing and I am so happy for you. I tried a "vaginal/colon" cleansing kit from Amazon about 4 months ago. Unfortunately it didn't work well for me. The one I purchased had a tube that needed to be installed onto the bathroom sink. I had to change out the spigot head and filter in my sink and install the pieces that came with the kit. Then I attached the "insertion piece" to the toilet seat - you were supposed to be able to sit down comfortably on this insertion piece which definitely did not work for me and was very messy. The cost was about $50. I had high hopes for the product but, oh well, it's only been about six years of bathroom nightmares for me versus your 25 years, so I won't complain. :roll: I am going to check into the Amazon product you have had success with and keep my fingers crossed. Do you know the name of the manufacturer? Thanks for the great tip and best wishes to you!
Rectal dx 4/2011 (Stage 3B - T3N1M0)
5FU/Rad - daily/6 wks ending 6/2011
Surgery 8/19/2011
Finished 8 rounds Folfox 2/2012
Ileo reverse and port out 3/2012
NED

susie0915
Facebook Username: Susan DeGrazia Hostetter

Postby susie0915 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:51 pm

There is the peristeen system sold by coloplast. It is pricey ($200) and I think you need a prescription. But it is basically a bag that sits on the floor that holds the water, a tube attached with disposable tips. It is designed to use while sitting on the toilet. I figure down the road when I can't lay on my yoga mat and give myself an enema from my 2 qt bag this will be an option. If you go on the coloplast website there is a video description of the product.
58 yrs old Dx @ 55
5/15 DX T3N0MO
6/15 5 wks chemo/rad
7/15 sigmoidoscopy/only scar tissue left
8/15 PET scan NED
9/15 LAR
0/24 nodes
10/15 blockage. surgery,early ileo rev, c-diff inf :(
12/15 6 rds of xelox
5/16 CT lung scarring/inflammation
9/16 clear colonoscopy
4/17 C 4mm lung nod
10/17 pel/abd CT NED
11/17 CEA<.5
1/18 CT/Lung no change in 4mm nodule
5/18 CEA<.5, CT pel/abd/lung NED
11/18 CEA .6
5/19 CT NED, CEA <.5
10/19 Clear colonscopy
11/19 CEA <.5

NCG
Facebook Username: Jim Fish

Postby NCG » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:19 pm

Sadysue
I'm sorry but I don't want know the manufacturer. The box has Japanese or Korean writing all over the box. It's Amazon.com for just under $17. Has a bottle with a pump I the top and now comes with three heads. Can't miss it.

sadysue

Postby sadysue » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:09 pm

Thank you ~ found it!
Rectal dx 4/2011 (Stage 3B - T3N1M0)
5FU/Rad - daily/6 wks ending 6/2011
Surgery 8/19/2011
Finished 8 rounds Folfox 2/2012
Ileo reverse and port out 3/2012
NED

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”