Freaking out after colonoscopy today 4/18/18

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Linns31

Freaking out after colonoscopy today 4/18/18

Postby Linns31 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:26 pm

So I had my first colonoscopy today and am finally coherent enough to look over the release papers. I am really freaking out right now because the paper says they did a polypectomy 25cm? That has to be a mistake right? I can't figure out how to post the pic of the release paper but it states" COLONOSCOPY with polypectomy 25cm (N/A)". They did say they sent it off to be biopsied and I will get the results in 7-10 days. I will be calling tomorrow to see if that might be a mistake and actually be MM not CM. But even if it is MM isn't that still a large one?

weisssoccermom

Re: Freaking out after colonoscopy today 4/18/18

Postby weisssoccermom » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:06 pm

Before you get all freaked out, make sure they are not referring to the location of the polyp. It's not uncommon to say, for example, that a polyp was located at 23 cm or 6 cm from the anal verge, etc.
It may be something as simple as the procedure was done at that particular location....25 cm from the anus. Check the exact words. I would have thought that the doctor would have been very specific if he/she had found a polyp of that size.
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

Linns31

Postby Linns31 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:13 pm

Thank you that does make me feel a little better. I do plan to call tomorrow as soon as they open to find out more. The doctor did not come in and talk to me after the procedure so all I have to go on is the information on the release paper.

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:44 pm

I realize that we oftentimes aren't very aware when the doc comes to tell us about the results of the scope (anesthesia and all), but I have been there when my friend has come out of the procedure as well as when my husband did as well. Each time (been with friend now twice) the doctor has told me and the patient what he/she found....if there was a polyp, then he either said it was small, large, etc. but IF this polyp was 25 cm....that's a honking 9+ inch polyp and I can't believe ANY doctor would just gloss over that! Even a 25 mm polyp is fairly substantial....just shy of an inch. In addition, 'usually' with a polyp that size (25mm)....I think a doctor would refer to it as 2.5 cm...just my opinion. When the doctor told my friend she had a polyp, he wasn't vague about it.....told her it was small....likely not cancerous (turned out to be precancerous). The doctor told me very clearly after my scope what the size was of my polyp that was found. Even if a doctor didn't do that, I would be shocked that a doctor didn't say something like 'well, we found a HUGE polyp that is about 9 inches long. We're sending it out to the lab and will have to wait for the results but....."

Was anyone there with you who would have heard what the doctor said?
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

Linns31

Postby Linns31 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:48 am

Yes my neighbor went with me. I asked her just before posting, she said the doctor did not come back to the room at all. They didn't tell her how big or where it was. Just the discharge nurse, which I was awake for and all she said was they did find a polyp and it was removed. So liquid diet and soft foods for 3 days and if I notice any bleeding more than tablespoon to come back in immediately. They don't open for 3 more hours but I will be calling to find out.

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:21 am

I'm really doubtful that you had a 25cm polyp. That would be to large to remove in a normal colonoscopy, and substantial enough that the dr would have told you. I think Jaynee is right, it refers to a location, or they neglected to place the decimal point. 2.5 seems more likely. Can you get ahold of someone at the colonoscopy center and ask?

Best Wishes,
peanut

Did some checking, and found this article https://www.abingtonhealth.org/healthy- ... tiYdi-ZO9Y. Apparently there is a procedure to remove large polyps during a colonoscopy, butt it takes much longer. I'm guessing that you would have noticed that OP.
female, diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

Linns31

Postby Linns31 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:21 pm

So I found out it was A 2 cm pedunculated polyp located at 25 cm. Sorry it took so long to post. Been a busy day today. Won't know more until the biopsy results come back.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”