31 year old male, 1.5 cm tubular adenoma

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
JGU1986

31 year old male, 1.5 cm tubular adenoma

Postby JGU1986 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:15 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have been lurking on this site since June of 2017 when my body presented worrying symptoms, mainly blood in stool. At the time I was a father to a wonderful 2 year old boy with another baby (gender unknown at the time) on the way. I figured rather than take the risk I would make an appointment to get myself checked for the sake of my children. I am from a small town in Eastern Canada and went to a local doctor that I have seen before, he told me it was most likely nothing to be concerned with BUT he does not take risks when there is blood in the stool so he schedule an appointment with a well respected GI. I had to wait some time to meet with the GI, during that time our second child was born, a healthy baby boy. During my first meeting with the GI, he did not show immediate concern given my age but he also stated the only way we will know for sure is to start with a sigmoid scope given the characteristics of the blood in/on my stool. Things got real on the day of my scope but other than the awful prep (enema) the procedure was nothing to worry about. Now the reason I decided to post today, when I awoke from the procedure the doctor was waiting to talk to me, he had found and removed a "large" polyp that needed to be sent for pathology, at that moment my life crashed (I apologize to those who have had to deal with a full CRC diagnosis) but my mind when straight to my very young children and the thought of me not being there for them.....the procedure took place right before Christmas holiday so I had to wait extra long for the pathology report (5 weeks) and as I am sure many of you have experienced, it is tough to keep a smiling face while you deal with personal issues. My pathology report came back and I have since had a full colonoscopy to clear the remainder of my colon. I wanted to present my report and introduce myself to the forum as I intend on sticking around and updating the group on my progress over the years while hopefully getting some insight and support from all the wonderful people here. If you have the time and are willing to review my below pathology report I would love feedback on whether or not there are any "watch outs" or cause for concern that I am not aware of. Another topic I am interested in, alcohol consumption after having a polyp removed, is it dangerous/selfish to continue drinking given the polyp was not malignant. Again I apologize if this type of post seems selfish, knowing that my situation is not nearly as severe as many of those out there, I am just looking to discuss my situation and learn of others in an attempt to receive and give support.

Pathology Report Summary:

Clinical Information
Part A - sigmoid polyp (1.5 cm)
Part B - base of sigmoid polyp
Part c - rectal biopsy

Microscopic Exam
A: Sections show polypoid colonic mucosa with features of pendunculated tubular adenoma. No high grade dysplasia, and no malignancy seen. Visualized cautery margins are negative for adenomatous changes.
B: Sections show benign mucosal fragments. No dysplasia seen. No malignancy seen.
C: Sections show colonic mucosal fragments without any significant histopathological abnormality.

Final Diagnosis
A: Colon, Sigmoid, Polypectomy: tubular adenoma
B: Base of sigmoid poly, negative for dysplasia
C: Rectal biopsy: no significant histopathological abnormality

Follow up colonoscopy every 3 years

Take care all! Best wishes from a man that was recently awoken to the harsh reality of life and how important it is to realize how lucky we are to be alive.
Early 2017 - Symptoms present
Late 2017 - 1.5 cm tubular adenoma removed during sigmoid scope
Early 2018 - Follow up colonoscopy showed no other polyps

Ron50

Re: 31 year old male, 1.5 cm tubular adenoma

Postby Ron50 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:06 pm

Hi JGU1986,
I'm glad you were aware of your problems and sought help early. You were fortunate in one respect that you had a tubular adenoma as the general view from GI's is that they are the least likely of the polyps to turn cancerous BUT given enough time they will. I am 20 years past stage 3 colon cancer into 6 nodes. I had my last scope twelve months ago and it produced 4 tubular adenomas between 4 and 12 mm. There was some mild displaysia but no cancer. My Gi has rescheduled me for 2 yearly scopes instead of three. My advice is to err on the side of safety. If you have any problems that are worrying you get them checked immediately and have all of the recommended tests. Best wishes to you and your family, Ron.
dx 1/98
st 3 c 6 nodes
48 sessions 5Fu/levamisole
no recurrence cea <.5
numerous l/t side effects of chemo

Pemba

Postby Pemba » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:38 pm

I’m 26 and had the exact same experience with symptoms and location as you beside my polyp having Villous features as well. I’m also at the 3 yers scope but I’ll request one after 2 years maybe sooner. I first had a sigmoidoscopy where they removed my polyp then a colonoscopy 1 ish month after to check the rest of my colon and check that the polyp was completely gone, the rest of my colon was clear.
2017: 15mm Tubulovillous adenoma- Low grade dysplasi.
Next scopy: original 2020 probably 2018-19

rockhound

Postby rockhound » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:52 pm

JGU1986 wrote:Hi Everyone,

I have been lurking on this site since June of 2017 when my body presented worrying symptoms, mainly blood in stool. At the time I was a father to a wonderful 2 year old boy with another baby (gender unknown at the time) on the way. I figured rather than take the risk I would make an appointment to get myself checked for the sake of my children. I am from a small town in Eastern Canada and went to a local doctor that I have seen before, he told me it was most likely nothing to be concerned with BUT he does not take risks when there is blood in the stool so he schedule an appointment with a well respected GI. I had to wait some time to meet with the GI, during that time our second child was born, a healthy baby boy. During my first meeting with the GI, he did not show immediate concern given my age but he also stated the only way we will know for sure is to start with a sigmoid scope given the characteristics of the blood in/on my stool. Things got real on the day of my scope but other than the awful prep (enema) the procedure was nothing to worry about. Now the reason I decided to post today, when I awoke from the procedure the doctor was waiting to talk to me, he had found and removed a "large" polyp that needed to be sent for pathology, at that moment my life crashed (I apologize to those who have had to deal with a full CRC diagnosis) but my mind when straight to my very young children and the thought of me not being there for them.....the procedure took place right before Christmas holiday so I had to wait extra long for the pathology report (5 weeks) and as I am sure many of you have experienced, it is tough to keep a smiling face while you deal with personal issues. My pathology report came back and I have since had a full colonoscopy to clear the remainder of my colon. I wanted to present my report and introduce myself to the forum as I intend on sticking around and updating the group on my progress over the years while hopefully getting some insight and support from all the wonderful people here. If you have the time and are willing to review my below pathology report I would love feedback on whether or not there are any "watch outs" or cause for concern that I am not aware of. Another topic I am interested in, alcohol consumption after having a polyp removed, is it dangerous/selfish to continue drinking given the polyp was not malignant. Again I apologize if this type of post seems selfish, knowing that my situation is not nearly as severe as many of those out there, I am just looking to discuss my situation and learn of others in an attempt to receive and give support.

Pathology Report Summary:

Clinical Information
Part A - sigmoid polyp (1.5 cm)
Part B - base of sigmoid polyp
Part c - rectal biopsy

Microscopic Exam
A: Sections show polypoid colonic mucosa with features of pendunculated tubular adenoma. No high grade dysplasia, and no malignancy seen. Visualized cautery margins are negative for adenomatous changes.
B: Sections show benign mucosal fragments. No dysplasia seen. No malignancy seen.
C: Sections show colonic mucosal fragments without any significant histopathological abnormality.

Final Diagnosis
A: Colon, Sigmoid, Polypectomy: tubular adenoma
B: Base of sigmoid poly, negative for dysplasia
C: Rectal biopsy: no significant histopathological abnormality

Follow up colonoscopy every 3 years

Take care all! Best wishes from a man that was recently awoken to the harsh reality of life and how important it is to realize how lucky we are to be alive.

Great that you got this taken care of when you did. Had I done something similar, I likely would have dealt with what you have, rather than stage 2a rectal cancer...oops. Anyway, given your age and also polyp type, you might consider getting tested for Lynch Syndrome (blood testing can confirm and also testing of the tumor and I'd guess, polyp?). Lynch is a hereditary syndrome associated with a higher chance of various cancers, primarily increased colorectal cancer risk. I have it and it likely explains why my polyp formed at age 40/41; polyps in folks with Lynch grow faster into tumors. For example it might take ten years for a "normal" tubular adenoma polyp to become a cancerous tumor, where it could take 1-2 yrs for someone with Lynch. I don't mean to scare/frighten, it is just that given your age, it is possible that this could be an issue and knowing what I know now, I'd get tested at 31... The general protocol with folks that have Lynch is to have annual colonoscopies, as well as upper GI scopes every 2-3 years - basically be proactive. I actually had my first post-surgery/treatment colonoscopy a few months ago and already (so ~ one year from my first one that caught the cancer) a new polyp had grown and was snipped out.

Also, just because you have Lynch does not mean anything will happen- my father got tested after I was diagnosed with cancer and he carries the Lynch mutation, but no issues.. I just won the lottery. Anyway, good luck with all this!
45 yr old male
Diagnosed December 2016, age 41
Stage 1/IIA rectal cancer - T2/3N0M0 via MRI (MRI indicates stage 1; onc/surgeon = stage 2a)
Lynch syndrome, MSH6 mutation, MSI
2 to 3/2017 Xeloda + Radiation
5/10/17 - Robotic LAR with temp. loop illeostomy, 0/20 lymph nodes
6 to 7/2017 - Six cycles Folfox @ full strength
9/20/17 - Ileostomy takedown
10/17 - CT, NED
5/18 - CT, NED
11/18 - CT, NED
5/19 - CT, NED..moving to yearly CT scans
5/20 - CT, NED
5/21 - CT, NED (4 yr. scan)

JGU1986

Postby JGU1986 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:38 am

Ron50 wrote:Hi JGU1986,
I'm glad you were aware of your problems and sought help early. You were fortunate in one respect that you had a tubular adenoma as the general view from GI's is that they are the least likely of the polyps to turn cancerous BUT given enough time they will. I am 20 years past stage 3 colon cancer into 6 nodes. I had my last scope twelve months ago and it produced 4 tubular adenomas between 4 and 12 mm. There was some mild displaysia but no cancer. My Gi has rescheduled me for 2 yearly scopes instead of three. My advice is to err on the side of safety. If you have any problems that are worrying you get them checked immediately and have all of the recommended tests. Best wishes to you and your family, Ron.

Thank you for the Kind words Ron! I hope all continues to go well for you, stories like yours give many people hope!

JGU1986

Postby JGU1986 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:43 am

Pemba wrote:I’m 26 and had the exact same experience with symptoms and location as you beside my polyp having Villous features as well. I’m also at the 3 yers scope but I’ll request one after 2 years maybe sooner. I first had a sigmoidoscopy where they removed my polyp then a colonoscopy 1 ish month after to check the rest of my colon and check that the polyp was completely gone, the rest of my colon was clear.

Thank you for the response Pemba, seems we had a very similar experience. It is scary when these things happen well below the usual age of concern but I am glad we both caught it early, now we will be monitored and hopefully no further issues, it is comforting to know that we are being monitored rather than just leaving it to chance.

Take Care!

JGU1986

Postby JGU1986 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:45 am

Thank you rockhound, I have seen lynch mentioned many times, your response gave me the push I needed to call and inquire about testing.

Take care!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”