5 weeks post-op Liver Resection surgery

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Joecool1983
Facebook Username: Joseph Piazzola

5 weeks post-op Liver Resection surgery

Postby Joecool1983 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:16 am

So, I am 5 weeks post-op from Liver Resection surgery. I had the right lobe of my Liver and my gallbladder removed. The surgeon also cut out a tumor that was on my diaphragm and a removed a malignant lymph node that was just right outside the Liver. He also cut out part of my Adrenal gland, which he said had some microscopic cellular activity. There's 4mm margin on the Adrenal gland where there could be more microscopic cellular activity. He said we'll continue to get scans and keep a close eye on the area. He said because of my history with an agresssive/advanced stage of cancer- stage IV cancer patient with metasteses on the Liver- there's a strong probability of reoccurrence in the future. He said if the adrenal gland or pre-sacral area, which could also continue to be a trouble spot, show any further tumor activity, in 6 months he'd bring me in for another open surgery, clean out my abdomen and pelvis and do a hot wash chemo solution.

For now though, they believe they got all visible signs of cancer out of my body. I am making pretty good recovery. 2 weeks after surgery, I went to the mall with my nurse/caretaker. Got 2 new pairs of shoes and had lunch at the Cheesecake Factory, where I had my 1st post-op alcoholic beverage. 3 weeks after surgery, I was behind the wheel of the car, driving for the 1st time in 5 months. 5 weeks removed and sexual function is starting to get back to normal. But, this week I stated having severe back and abdominal pain. It's upper back, right under the shoulders to midback, right under the ribs. Heat has been helping. Anyone else get back pain after surgery?
Diagnosed 12/17/15- 32 years old- Tumor 3"x1.5" at the Rectosigmoid Colon
Stage IIIA T3N1M0
Radiation and chemotherapy(Xeloda pill form) January 2016- February 2016
4/11/16- Surgery to remove the tumor/colon resection. Robotic LAR/Dissection of Lymph Node. 1/19 showed any involvement
5/16-10/16- Follow up chemotherapy- FOLFOX, 8 Treatments
1/17- Routine CT scan found 3 Metastases on my Liver
4/17-8/17- 5 Treatments Avastin/Irinotecan

WriterGirl1969

Re: 5 weeks post-op Liver Resection surgery

Postby WriterGirl1969 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:42 pm

I can't offer you any info on this type of surgery, but I did want to congratulate you on what I hope turns out to be all clear margins and a good recuperation. Sounds like you had a fun day out. Cheesecake factory is awesome. ;-)

Best,
Tracy
DX 3/4/2016 Colon Cancer; age 46 Mom of then 4-yr-old
Stage IIIB: T3N1M0
3/31/16 Surgery
4 to 10/2016: Xeloda Monotherapy
CEA: 10/16 0.56, 1/17 0.54
CT CLEAR: 3/6/17; 4/17/18; 4/16/19
NED 3 years
“If I can help somebody as I walk along, then my living shall not be in vain.”

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”