Tubular Adenoma Polyp found during colonoscopy - 27 years old

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
sunnylikesunshine90

Tubular Adenoma Polyp found during colonoscopy - 27 years old

Postby sunnylikesunshine90 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:20 pm

I'm sure y'all must see a million posts like these from those who are not diagnosed with CC, so I apologize in advance if you're sick of dealing with these :wink: It's a bit wordy/rambly.

I'm a 27 year old female with a lifelong history of constipation issues. I am no stranger to mild stomach pain/cramping and mild (think streaks) of blood on the toiler paper - but when it got worse back in October/November 2017, I sat up and took notice. It was even more alarming as I began having a large quantity of blood when I had a BM. I went to my GP who ran some tests, saw markers for inflammation, and treated it with a course of Flagyl. The bleeding stopped after about three weeks, but he kicked me over to a gastro/surgeon. The gastro/surgeon did a basic exam, said that he didn't feel any hemorrhoids or anything, but that if the bleeding started again or if the cramping continued to give him a call as the next step would be a colonoscopy (My parents both had colonoscopies due to age, but my father had an addition colonoscopy in which they found polyps; He eventually passed away of esophageal cancer, so I can't confirm any medical history with him any longer) Things ended up getting pushed back due to us moving an hour away, but when I visited the gastro/surgeon at the beginning of March, he was able to schedule my colonoscopy for just over a week and a half later.

The prep wasn't bad (Miralax/dulcolax combo), the procedure wasn't bad, and apart from some minor cramping, the recovery went really well. I was told by my Mom who had accompanied me to the procedure that he had found a small polyp, but that he didn't think it was anything serious, though he did send it off to be biopsied/tested.

When I hadn't received the results a week and a half later, I was mildly concerned and gave the office a call. The doctor reviewed my file the next day and I had the nurse fax it to me after she confirmed that the doctor wasn't concerned, but that he wanted me to follow up in five years.

Here's exactly what the report said:

"Final Diagnosis: Colon Polyp transverse colon at 65 cm: biopsy, Tubular Adenoma" and under another section, said "Adenomatous polyps are uncommon in this age group and the possibility of a polyposis syndrome should be considered"

Now, the nurse said my doctor wasn't concerned but from what I've found online (I know, I know - playing Dr. Google rarely ends well), Adenomas - especially tubular ones - are pretty serious. I might send him a message, asking about the possibility of a polyposis syndrome, but I don't want to seem like "that" patient that worries over nothing and is constantly bugging their doctor about something.

I might be worried over nothing, but I'd really appreciate if anyone who has experience with Tubular Adenomas/Adenomatous polyps could share their experiences with me.

2017 - Became symptomatic
2018 - colonoscopy showed 3mm Tubular Adenoma in transverse colon, no cancer at this time, Recheck in 5 years

O Stoma Mia

Polyp type and probability of malignancy

Postby O Stoma Mia » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:41 am

I have no experience with tubular adenomas, but here is a reference that I found:

...It is well known that colorectal cancers arise from adenomatous polyps, which have three histologic variants: tubular, tubulovillous, and villous adenomas. Tubular adenomas represent ~75% to 85% of adenomatous polyps and have < 5% chance of harboring a malignancy. Tubulovillous adenomas represent 10% to 15% of polyps and usually 20% to 25% harbor a malignancy. Villous adenomas constitute 5% to 10% of the remaining polyps and 35% to 40% of the polyps are malignant.
    The size and degree of villous features are also predictive of the risk of malignancy within the polyp. Polyps larger that 2 cm have > 40% chance of being malignant...

Reference:
    Colorectal Cancer: Epidemiology, Risk Factors, and Health Services (2005)
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2780097/
Last edited by O Stoma Mia on Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ron50

Re: Tubular Adenoma Polyp found during colonoscopy - 27 years old

Postby Ron50 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:17 am

High Sunny,
During my last scope they found four tubular adenomas. The biggest was 11 mm It took three of four internal staples to stop the bleeding when they removed it . My GI and nephrologist both agreed if you are going to get polyps , tubular adenomas are the least likely to have anything nasty. The biopsy of mine showed mild dysplasia but no cancer. I have had around 13 scopes over the years and half of them have found polyps. This Jan I reached the end of year 20 ex stage 3c colon cancer with no recurrence . As long as you stay vigilant and have regular checkups and scopes you can usually keep cancer at bay. I am now on two yearly scopes . Best Wishes , Ron.
dx 1/98
st 3 c 6 nodes
48 sessions 5Fu/levamisole
no recurrence cea <.5
numerous l/t side effects of chemo

Pemba

Postby Pemba » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:33 pm

Well you can see on my story that I also had a polyp way bigger than yours removed when I was 25 and it was bigger and uglier than yours luckily without dysplasi. It took me 6 months of anxiety not to be afraid all the time.

I am not afraid it’s polyposis syndrome (FAP) because it often causes 100s polys in the colon, I had one. I am considering asking for Lynch syndrome gene testing, because as a woman I would have to get other areas checked as well.

My doctor said I should come back in 3 years, But I looked up the Lynch screening programme in Denmark (my country) is 1-2 years, so I am gonna get a new colonoscopy around that time just to be sure.

But you know Shit happens and as long you keep getting those colonoscopys and remove the polyps everything will be fine, it normally takes 10 years for a polyp to turn cancerous unless it’s genetics but even then it’s usually slow growing.
2017: 15mm Tubulovillous adenoma- Low grade dysplasi.
Next scopy: original 2020 probably 2018-19

O Stoma Mia

Postby O Stoma Mia » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:29 pm

Pemba wrote:..as long you keep getting those colonoscopys and remove the polyps everything will be fine, it normally takes 10 years for a polyp to turn cancerous...

As Pemba says, I don't think you have much to worry about, except that you must not forget to schedule another colonoscopy five years from now. You need to have a reliable way to remind yourself of this five years from now. If you grow another polyp in the mean time, they will have to remove that one, too.

sunnylikesunshine90

Postby sunnylikesunshine90 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:04 pm

I definitely appreciate all of the replies and reassurances.

I've consulted with my gastro/surgeon's office and we are considering the possibility of testing for Lynch Syndrome since they agreed, 27 years old is pretty young to be having these issues (I think it helps that I was assigned to a doctor who has 38 years of experience in this field and experience with colorectal issues/diseases). The issue at this point is figuring if medicaid in IL will cover the testing, since the company they use (Myriad Genetics) is out of state.

Thanks again, everyone

2018 - colonoscopy showed 3mm Tubular Adenoma in transverse colon, no cancer at this time, Recheck in 5 years

sunnylikesunshine90

Postby sunnylikesunshine90 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:14 pm

Update:

Meridian Medicaid does NOT cover the Myriad MyRisk panel (though the woman at Myriad told me that they are currently offering the test for just $795, so that's something to look into, if anyone else is contemplating testing).

I'm actually going to be taking the full panel from Color Genomics, with a total out-of-pocket cost of roughly $260.

rockhound

Postby rockhound » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:15 am

sunnylikesunshine90 wrote:I definitely appreciate all of the replies and reassurances.

I've consulted with my gastro/surgeon's office and we are considering the possibility of testing for Lynch Syndrome since they agreed, 27 years old is pretty young to be having these issues (I think it helps that I was assigned to a doctor who has 38 years of experience in this field and experience with colorectal issues/diseases). The issue at this point is figuring if medicaid in IL will cover the testing, since the company they use (Myriad Genetics) is out of state.

Thanks again, everyone

My advice is get tested for Lynch. If you are Lynch positive, then you want an annual colonoscopy, which is the standard, and checks for the slew of other cancers that are more prevalent with Lynch (lots of female specific cancers, plus higher risk for others). Lynch colorectal polyps grow and turn into cancer must faster (e.g., 1-2 yrs vs ~10 yrs) than "normal" population polyps and colonoscopies will take care of them. Way better than the alternative, trust me on this!
45 yr old male
Diagnosed December 2016, age 41
Stage 1/IIA rectal cancer - T2/3N0M0 via MRI (MRI indicates stage 1; onc/surgeon = stage 2a)
Lynch syndrome, MSH6 mutation, MSI
2 to 3/2017 Xeloda + Radiation
5/10/17 - Robotic LAR with temp. loop illeostomy, 0/20 lymph nodes
6 to 7/2017 - Six cycles Folfox @ full strength
9/20/17 - Ileostomy takedown
10/17 - CT, NED
5/18 - CT, NED
11/18 - CT, NED
5/19 - CT, NED..moving to yearly CT scans
5/20 - CT, NED
5/21 - CT, NED (4 yr. scan)

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”