...It is well known that colorectal cancers arise from adenomatous polyps, which have three histologic variants: tubular, tubulovillous, and villous adenomas. Tubular adenomas represent ~75% to 85% of adenomatous polyps and have < 5% chance of harboring a malignancy. Tubulovillous adenomas represent 10% to 15% of polyps and usually 20% to 25% harbor a malignancy. Villous adenomas constitute 5% to 10% of the remaining polyps and 35% to 40% of the polyps are malignant.
The size and degree of villous features are also predictive of the risk of malignancy within the polyp. Polyps larger that 2 cm have > 40% chance of being malignant...
Colorectal Cancer: Epidemiology, Risk Factors, and Health Services (2005)
Pemba wrote:..as long you keep getting those colonoscopys and remove the polyps everything will be fine, it normally takes 10 years for a polyp to turn cancerous...
sunnylikesunshine90 wrote:I definitely appreciate all of the replies and reassurances.
I've consulted with my gastro/surgeon's office and we are considering the possibility of testing for Lynch Syndrome since they agreed, 27 years old is pretty young to be having these issues (I think it helps that I was assigned to a doctor who has 38 years of experience in this field and experience with colorectal issues/diseases). The issue at this point is figuring if medicaid in IL will cover the testing, since the company they use (Myriad Genetics) is out of state.
Thanks again, everyone
Users browsing this forum: Mbm51482 and 33 guests