Gas/Constipation

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
beck1965

Gas/Constipation

Postby beck1965 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:39 am

Hi. Two years post sigmoid colectomy. T1/N0/M0 so caught really early, very lucky, and no additional treatment other than blood tests and follow up colonoscopy. Lately I've had gas.........alot of it and it smells as if I have a sewer plant in my gut. Very "airy" BM's as well. Anyone tried any over the counter remedies that seemed to have helped them with similar issues? The gas pain does come with a little cramping as well. Follow up colonoscopy was clear and all blood tests have been good, next one is in late June. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
*50 y/o Female
*Sigmoid Mass found on routine colonoscopy/Feb 2016
*4cm villious lesion found at the rectosigmoid
*Surgery three weeks later to remove 13" of Sigmoid/resection
*Used DaVinci Robotic surgery
*Stage 1 rectosigmoid cancer/T1/N0/M0 = 18 negative nodes
*Acute renal failure during recovery, unknown reason[/b]
*Clear colonoscopy one year post resection!!
*Normal CEA's since surgery
*NED two years out.

henry123

Re: Gas/Constipation

Postby henry123 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:01 pm

Do get yourself tested for h pylori infection.
46yo M msi-high Lynch +ve
5/16 lap AR 14/21 L nodes +ve
T4N2M1
7/16 Capox 9 cyc
9/16 cea 2
1/17 550
PET CT mets in lung & peri
iri+ avast fail
3/17 10577
4/17 regro fail
5/17 cea 28800
5/17 CT inc in size of mes nodes ,onset of multi nodules in liver
6/17 Opdivo start
7/17 26754
8/17 5623
9/17 497
10/17 52
CT all clear exc a nodule in Lung. liver norm
1/18 3.6
Aspirin start
6/18 1.5 CT clear
12/18 1.1 NED
1/20 NED Opdivo stop
8/23 1.0 All ok

beck1965

Postby beck1965 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:24 pm

I haven’t but funny you should mention that, my mom was just treated for that a month ago. If it persists, I will talk to my PCP. Thanks
*50 y/o Female
*NED two years out.

MissMolly

Postby MissMolly » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:26 am

Beck:
Your foul-smelling and excessive gas likely is due to bacterial overgrowth or imbalance of the necessary “good”/beneficial bacterial that constitutes the GI tract’s normal flora.

The bacterial flora of the digestive tract serves as the home base for the body’s immune system and immune response. The immune system is housed in the digestive tract.

Not all commercially available probiotics are equal.

I have had significant surgical altering of my digestiv tract, which has affected both my GI tract motility (frequent obstructions due to adhesions; hypermotility and rapid transit time; short guy syndrome) and the types of foods that I can eat/consume - all of which play havoc on maintaining a healthy bacterial flora. I have had consultations with any number of physicians, naturopaths, dietitians, and integrative medicine providers. Here’s what has benefitted me the most:

A. Kiefer. Kiefer is a drinkable yogurt that has a high concentration of “good”/beneficial bacteria.

B. Make a concentrated effort to reduce your intake of simple sugars and simple carbohydrates (table sugar, carbonated soft drinks, fruit juices, white bread, cakes and cookies, saltine crackers, white potatoes, white pasta, breakfast cereals with more than 6 grams of sugar per serving, highly processed foods) and increase your intake of complex carbohydrates (whole grains products, Triscut crackers, steel cut oatmeal, shredded wheat cereal, whole wheat pasta, sweet potatoes).

Bacteria in the gut “feed” on simple sugars as their source of cellular energy. The foul smell and putrid odor of intestinal gas is owing to the metabolic byproducts/waste produced by the bacterial flora in the gut and is a sign of an imbalance of “good” and “less than good” bacteria. The goal to eliminating smelly gas is to repopulate the digestive tract with “good” bacteria.

C. Invest in a quality probiotic. My Palliative Care physician highly recommends the probiotic VSL #3, and I have been amazed by its benefits.

VSL #3 was available by prescription only until about a year ago.
It is a high potency probiotic. VSL#3 is the probiotic routinely used by individuals with inflammatory bowel disease (Chrone’s, ulcerative colitis) and individuals with malabsorption syndrome.

VSL #3 is now available over the counter without a prescription. Amazon carries VSL # 3 (where I purchase it) and has an informative written overview of VSL # 3 and its unique bacterial composite and targeted benefits.
- Karen -
Dear friend to Bella Piazza, former Colon Club member (NWGirl).
I have a permanent ileostomy and offer advice on living with an ostomy - in loving remembrance of Bella
I am on Palliative Care for broad endocrine failure + Addison's disease + osteonecrosis of both hips/jaw + immunosuppression. I live a simple life due to frail health.

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:05 am

I've never been able to do much for gas since my LAR in 2014. I use massage and heat for gas if it causes painful bloating or cramping. I hope you can find something that will help!*hugs*
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

beck1965

Postby beck1965 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:57 pm

Thanks MissMolly for all the useful info. I may look into those probiotics. :)
*50 y/o Female
*NED two years out.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”