transanal surgery

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
ldsell01

transanal surgery

Postby ldsell01 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:18 pm

I had been experiencing blood in my stool for a couple of months after reversal (Sept. 2017). The colorectal surgeon performed a colonoscopy and found three areas of avm (arterial venous something) that were probably the cause of the blood in the stool. I had been off aspirin for 11 days by the time of colonoscopy. While he was finishing the colonoscopy he filtered the light and found a spot flush with the other tissue on the sphincter. He biopsied it and it came back as tubular villious adenoma (? on spelling). He specifically said NOT CANCER. Now he wants to go in and do a transanal removal of it. Anyone ever had a transanal procedure? Specially, one on their sphincter. If so, what was your recovery? Did you still have bowel control? He said it would be outpatient, but general anesthesia. I am hoping since he couldn't see it with the bright light it just popped to the surface and nothing more than this there and it remains cancer free. I was diagnosed with rectal stage 1 in May 2017 at the age of 40. No family history of any cancer. My three kids are ages 9-3 years old. So I have many many more years that I need and want to live. Thank you.
Lisa
40 year old female; No family history of cancer
5/17 colonoscopy found 2.5 cm mass; Diagnosed with Rectal Cancer; CEA 1.2
7/17 resection w/temp ostomy; 0/19 lymph nodes and 5 cm rectal resection found no cancer
9/17 ostomy reversal
11/17 CEA 0.4
1/18 CEA 0.5
2/18 CEA 0.7
3/18 colonoscopy revealed tubular villous adenoma polyp flush with tissue on sphincter.

alphagam
Facebook Username: Kathy Maine Ruess

Re: transanal surgery

Postby alphagam » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:20 pm

I was diagnosed in 2010 with a 4 cm polyploid mass in my rectum via colonoscopy. My second opinion Board Certified Colorectal surgeon scheduled a transatlanal excision for better pathology. 1st opinion dr said I had a T3 tumor using ultrasound. More pathology sounded good to me. Long story short, Board Certified Colorectal surgeon did the transanal surgery, went home the same day. Seven years later I’ve had multiple colonoscopies with another one scheduled for May. No symptoms, no problems.
Bowel control for me was better after that mass was removed.

Edited to correct date
Dx Feb 2010 4 cm tumor, just inside rectum
EUS stated T3 tumor
2nd opinion, need better path
Mar 2010 transanal surgery. Surgery by board certified CRS found tumor only in lining
6 exams of surg site, 3 PET, 3 scopes laterNED.
Scope in Mar2015, clean colon
Next scope/test in 3 years

ldsell01

Postby ldsell01 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:34 pm

Thank you for the response. I am seeing a board certified colorectal surgeon. He did my first surgery in July to remove the 2.5 cm rectal adenoma. I truly appreciate you responding. About how many days were you off work? Were you in much pain afterwards? I can't imagine it would be worse than my 3 c-sections, rectal resection, or the ostomy bag. Congrats on being clean since the procedure. That is fantastic news!
Lisa
40 year old female; No family history of cancer
5/17 colonoscopy found 2.5 cm mass; Diagnosed with Rectal Cancer; CEA 1.2
7/17 resection w/temp ostomy; 0/19 lymph nodes and 5 cm rectal resection found no cancer
9/17 ostomy reversal
11/17 CEA 0.4
1/18 CEA 0.5
2/18 CEA 0.7
3/18 colonoscopy revealed tubular villous adenoma polyp flush with tissue on sphincter.

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:11 pm

I was diagnosed in June 2006 with what the doctors then thought was a T3 rectal tumor. I absolutely did NOT want the radical surgery most commonly associated with rectal cancer and looked long and hard to find a surgeon who would consider doing a transanal procedure. At the time, I didn't know the difference between a board certified colorectal surgeon and a general surgeon who told me he could do the job. BIG difference.
Fast forward to April 20,2007 when I had my surgery. The surgery itself was easy. I ended up having heavy heavy sedation (might as well have been general.....didn't know anything) because the hospital was concerned about my EKG (which was normal for me). I had some pain immediately after surgery but ONLY because I had broken my tailbone years earlier and hadn't mentioned it to the surgeon. During the surgery, she had allowed the instruments to 'push' on that area and I woke up with horrible tailbone pain. Had I told her...she said she would have slightly changed the position of her instruments and that would have been that. Spent the night and went home the next day. Expect some minor sensations of heaviness in the pelvic region which is perfectly normal. I was grocery shopping the next day and really didn't have much down time. Herer I am, 11 years later with no residual problems. The radiation has done more of a number on me than the surgery.

My bowel control is fine....no problems. If I had to do it again, I would most definitely make the same choice. It's relatively easy and I didn't have any residual problems from it. Glad its not cancer but get it removed.
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:51 am

I hope your surgery goes well!*hugs*
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”