Recommendation for colorectal surgeon in NC

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
dallasdog
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:18 am

Recommendation for colorectal surgeon in NC

Postby dallasdog » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:27 pm

Anyone in North Carolina have a good recommendation. Not sure I want to go with current surgeon. Thanks.

Lee
Posts: 5505
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:09 pm

Re: Recommendation for colorectal surgeon in NC

Postby Lee » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:15 pm

I live in Arizona, so I can not recommend a surgeon. Butt I would advise a "Board Certified" colon rectal surgeon. I believe you mention Duke University as a possible 2nd option. From what I do know, they are a VERY good hospital. Maybe others closer to your neighborhood can give you recommendations.

Good luck,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 10 years and counting!

Aqx99
Posts: 383
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:28 am
Facebook Username: aqx99
Location: Pfafftown, NC

Re: Recommendation for colorectal surgeon in NC

Postby Aqx99 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:31 am

dallasdog wrote:Anyone in North Carolina have a good recommendation. Not sure I want to go with current surgeon. Thanks.


Where in NC are you? I'm near Winston-Salem and highly recommend my colorectal surgeon, Dr. Nicolas Robinson at Novant Health's Colon and Rectal Clinic.
Anne, 40
Stage IIIB Rectal Cancer
T3N1bM0
2/21/17 Diagnosis, Age 39
2/21/17 CEA 0.9 ng/mL
3/23/17 - 5/2/17 Chemoradiation, 28 treatments
6/14/17 Robotic LAR w/temp loop ileostomy, ovaries & fallopian tubes removed, 2/21 lymph nodes positive
7/24/17 - 12/18/17 CapeOx, 6 Cycles
7/24/17 Diagnosed w/ovarian cancer
9/6/17 CA 125 11.1 U/mL
11/27/17 CEA 2.6 ng/mL
12/5/17 CT showed NED
12/13/17 CEA 2.9 ng/mL
1/11/18 CA 125 8.6 U/mL
1/23/18 Reversal
3/21/18 CT showed enlarged thymus
4/6/18 PET

dallasdog
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:18 am

Re: Recommendation for colorectal surgeon in NC

Postby dallasdog » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:15 pm

Thanks. I guess I dont know if I need a "colorectal surgeon" or "colorectal oncologist"

I know of Dr. Robinson in Winston. Has anyone seen Dr Greg Waters at Wake Forest? What about Dr. Christopher Manthy at Duke? Any other recs?

I've been advised to get a second, even a third opinion.

NHMike
Posts: 1096
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:43 am

Re: Recommendation for colorectal surgeon in NC

Postby NHMike » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:27 pm

dallasdog wrote:Thanks. I guess I dont know if I need a "colorectal surgeon" or "colorectal oncologist"

I know of Dr. Robinson in Winston. Has anyone seen Dr Greg Waters at Wake Forest? What about Dr. Christopher Manthy at Duke? Any other recs?

I've been advised to get a second, even a third opinion.


You may need both. I started with a GI doctor and he got me hooked up with an Oncologist and Radiologist. They were both generalists. I got second opinions at a major cancer center in Boston and spoke to a CRC Oncologist, CRC Radiologist, and CRC Surgeon. The Oncologist and Radiologist (in Boston) recommended the same course of treatment as the local Oncologist and Radiologist so I went local. I then had the Boston CRC Surgeon do the LAR and now I'm dealing with the local Oncologist again for adjuvant chemo. When that's over, it's back to the Surgeon to do the reversal. This is for Rectal Cancer. Colon cancer has a different treatment schedule.
6/23/17: ER rectal bleeding; Colonoscopy
7/13: Stage 3B rectal. T3N1bM0. 5.2 x 4.5 x 4.3 cm. Lymphs: 6 x 4 mm, 8 x 6, 5 x 5
7/31-9/8: Xeloda 3,400 mg/day+radiation
7/5: CEA 2.7; 8/16: 1.9; 9/8: 1.8; 11/30: 0.6; 12/20 1.4
MSS, KRAS G12D
10/6: 2.7 x 2.2 x 1.6 cm (-90%). Lymphs: 3 x 3 mm (-62.5%), 4 x 3 (-75%), 5 x 3 (-40%). 5.1 CM from AV
10/30: LAR, Temp Ileostomy, Path Complete Response
12/20: Started CapeOx

Cluddy
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:11 pm

Re: Recommendation for colorectal surgeon in NC

Postby Cluddy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:21 pm

I saw Dr. Manthy when my surgeon was away on vacation and I REALLY disliked him! He hurt me so badly that I cried and begged him to stop the exam but he did not. I made a complaint with the hospital. I also had a friend who had surgery with him and did not have a good outcome. My colorectal surgeon at Duke is Julie Thacker. She has done 2 surgeries on my son (for Crohns) and did my LAR surgery. She isn’t touchy freely but a great surgeon! I asked several doctors for a recommendation and they ALL gave me her name. Good luck!
Rectal cancer DX 11/2016, T3N0M0, CEA 3.4,
6 weeks chemo/rad, LAR surgery 1/30/2017, T2N0M0, Stage 2a, CEA .4, adjunct xeloada cancelled due to chronic dehydration, ileostomy reversal 5/2017
1/30/2018 1year NED

dallasdog
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:18 am

Re: Recommendation for colorectal surgeon in NC

Postby dallasdog » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:24 pm

Cluddy wrote:I saw Dr. Manthy when my surgeon was away on vacation and I REALLY disliked him! He hurt me so badly that I cried and begged him to stop the exam but he did not. I made a complaint with the hospital. I also had a friend who had surgery with him and did not have a good outcome. My colorectal surgeon at Duke is Julie Thacker. She has done 2 surgeries on my son (for Crohns) and did my LAR surgery. She isn’t touchy freely but a great surgeon! I asked several doctors for a recommendation and they ALL gave me her name. Good luck!


Thanks for sharing. Since I posted that I have been looking at a few websites and see that he is not rated well. Dr. Robinson isnt rated great either though. I found that a Dr. Sadiq, not at Duke (chapel hill i think) is rated very well. Frank Wessels is another I found but so many in NC are rated very poorly. Not comforting.

Aqx99
Posts: 383
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:28 am
Facebook Username: aqx99
Location: Pfafftown, NC

Re: Recommendation for colorectal surgeon in NC

Postby Aqx99 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:13 pm

dallasdog wrote:
Cluddy wrote:I saw Dr. Manthy when my surgeon was away on vacation and I REALLY disliked him! He hurt me so badly that I cried and begged him to stop the exam but he did not. I made a complaint with the hospital. I also had a friend who had surgery with him and did not have a good outcome. My colorectal surgeon at Duke is Julie Thacker. She has done 2 surgeries on my son (for Crohns) and did my LAR surgery. She isn’t touchy freely but a great surgeon! I asked several doctors for a recommendation and they ALL gave me her name. Good luck!


Thanks for sharing. Since I posted that I have been looking at a few websites and see that he is not rated well. Dr. Robinson isnt rated great either though. I found that a Dr. Sadiq, not at Duke (chapel hill i think) is rated very well. Frank Wessels is another I found but so many in NC are rated very poorly. Not comforting.


I don't know where you are getting your rating of Dr. Robinson from, but his rating by his patients is 4.69/5 on the Novant website. He has a wonderful bedside manner and is very gentle when performing examinations. He even sat with me while I cried after my rectal ultrasound when he told me that my cancer was stage 3 and what that meant. He performed my LAR with the Da Vinci robot, and even found my ovarian cancer at the same time. He said my ovaries "didn't look right," and removed them. It took two labs and the tumor board to finally diagnose the ovarian cancer. I don't know if it is a function of my body or his skill as a surgeon (probably a combination of both), but I did not have nearly the amount of post-op pain I see people talking about online.

My gastroenterologist made sure to send me to Dr. Robinson, saying that this was the guy he would send his family to if they needed surgery. Without asking for their opinions, several other physicians that I told about my going to Dr. Robinson told me that he was the best one to go to for the surgery I needed. My neighbor's father credits Dr. Robinson with saving his life after his colon was perforated during a colonoscopy and was sent home after being told it was nothing. He had to be rushed to the hospital after he passed out in the car.

I'm not trying to pressure you at all, just trying to give you the information I have from personal experience with Dr. Robinson.
Anne, 40
Stage IIIB Rectal Cancer
T3N1bM0
2/21/17 Diagnosis, Age 39
2/21/17 CEA 0.9 ng/mL
3/23/17 - 5/2/17 Chemoradiation, 28 treatments
6/14/17 Robotic LAR w/temp loop ileostomy, ovaries & fallopian tubes removed, 2/21 lymph nodes positive
7/24/17 - 12/18/17 CapeOx, 6 Cycles
7/24/17 Diagnosed w/ovarian cancer
9/6/17 CA 125 11.1 U/mL
11/27/17 CEA 2.6 ng/mL
12/5/17 CT showed NED
12/13/17 CEA 2.9 ng/mL
1/11/18 CA 125 8.6 U/mL
1/23/18 Reversal
3/21/18 CT showed enlarged thymus
4/6/18 PET

tarheelmom
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:55 pm

Re: Recommendation for colorectal surgeon in NC

Postby tarheelmom » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:35 am

I recommend Dr. Sadiq at UNC. A friend, who is a head of a department at UNC told me that Dr. Sadiq did the most difficult cases because he was very skilled. I have heard good things about Dr. Thacker at Duke also. I received superb care at UNC from my surgeon through PA to nurses and WOCN. Plus private rooms and 24/7 room service for food. Short waits for all follow up visits. Good luck.
52 y at dx, mom to 4
DX: RC on 2/22/2016
Stage I, T2N0M0, 0/32 LN
23 mm x 7 mm moderately differentiated invasive adenocarcinoma
3 cm from anal verge
4/12/16: ULAR, TME, & temp ileostomy
6/14/16: ileo reversal

dallasdog
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:18 am

Re: Recommendation for colorectal surgeon in NC

Postby dallasdog » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:42 pm

Aqx99 wrote:
dallasdog wrote:
Cluddy wrote:I saw Dr. Manthy when my surgeon was away on vacation and I REALLY disliked him! He hurt me so badly that I cried and begged him to stop the exam but he did not. I made a complaint with the hospital. I also had a friend who had surgery with him and did not have a good outcome. My colorectal surgeon at Duke is Julie Thacker. She has done 2 surgeries on my son (for Crohns) and did my LAR surgery. She isn’t touchy freely but a great surgeon! I asked several doctors for a recommendation and they ALL gave me her name. Good luck!


Thanks for sharing. Since I posted that I have been looking at a few websites and see that he is not rated well. Dr. Robinson isnt rated great either though. I found that a Dr. Sadiq, not at Duke (chapel hill i think) is rated very well. Frank Wessels is another I found but so many in NC are rated very poorly. Not comforting.


I don't know where you are getting your rating of Dr. Robinson from, but his rating by his patients is 4.69/5 on the Novant website. He has a wonderful bedside manner and is very gentle when performing examinations. He even sat with me while I cried after my rectal ultrasound when he told me that my cancer was stage 3 and what that meant. He performed my LAR with the Da Vinci robot, and even found my ovarian cancer at the same time. He said my ovaries "didn't look right," and removed them. It took two labs and the tumor board to finally diagnose the ovarian cancer. I don't know if it is a function of my body or his skill as a surgeon (probably a combination of both), but I did not have nearly the amount of post-op pain I see people talking about online.

My gastroenterologist made sure to send me to Dr. Robinson, saying that this was the guy he would send his family to if they needed surgery. Without asking for their opinions, several other physicians that I told about my going to Dr. Robinson told me that he was the best one to go to for the surgery I needed. My neighbor's father credits Dr. Robinson with saving his life after his colon was perforated during a colonoscopy and was sent home after being told it was nothing. He had to be rushed to the hospital after he passed out in the car.

I'm not trying to pressure you at all, just trying to give you the information I have from personal experience with Dr. Robinson.


thanks for your response. I private messaged you regarding this.

Aqx99
Posts: 383
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:28 am
Facebook Username: aqx99
Location: Pfafftown, NC

Re: Recommendation for colorectal surgeon in NC

Postby Aqx99 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:33 am

dallasdog wrote:thanks for your response. I private messaged you regarding this.


If you are local to Winston-Salem, can I suggest that you join us at the GI Wellness Support Group at the Novant Derrick L. Davis Cancer Center? We meet the second Tuesday of every month from 6pm - 7:30pm in the Resource Room. The next one will be April 10th. The two GI cancer nurse navigators facilitate the meeting. They are both great ladies. We have fun at the meetings, but also have serious discussions. I have attended every meeting since my diagnosis.
Anne, 40
Stage IIIB Rectal Cancer
T3N1bM0
2/21/17 Diagnosis, Age 39
2/21/17 CEA 0.9 ng/mL
3/23/17 - 5/2/17 Chemoradiation, 28 treatments
6/14/17 Robotic LAR w/temp loop ileostomy, ovaries & fallopian tubes removed, 2/21 lymph nodes positive
7/24/17 - 12/18/17 CapeOx, 6 Cycles
7/24/17 Diagnosed w/ovarian cancer
9/6/17 CA 125 11.1 U/mL
11/27/17 CEA 2.6 ng/mL
12/5/17 CT showed NED
12/13/17 CEA 2.9 ng/mL
1/11/18 CA 125 8.6 U/mL
1/23/18 Reversal
3/21/18 CT showed enlarged thymus
4/6/18 PET


Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 31 guests