Dietary issues after colon resection

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
RWebster

Dietary issues after colon resection

Postby RWebster » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:33 pm

Hello, I'm almost 4 months post-op from removal of my sigmoid colon. I had a cancerous polyp and the surgeon removed about 16" of the colon. Surgery went well, pain was manageable and hopefully all the cancerous tissue was taken with the removed colon. My issue is that I'm still fighting against what I eat. I followed the dietary recommendations and thought the constipation and diarrhea would subside after a month or 2. Sadly that is not the case. I can eat something one time and not have an issue, then eat it again a few days later and spend most of the day running to the bathroom. I can have the feeling of diarrhea and not be able to go. Also have experienced a lot if gas, sometimes very painful. The scary part is sometimes what feels like gas and bloating is actually diarrhea so there isn't an option of trying to pass gas. It's been very difficult trying to get this under control since I don't know what will cause it at any given time. Any have any wise words or secrets that might help?

Robino1
Facebook Username: Robin.lawthers

Re: Dietary issues after colon resection

Postby Robino1 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:46 am

Are you using a probiotic? If not, try taking Align. It may take a few days to build the good bacteria back up. Also, water helps to keep things balanced. If I don't drink enough water, I get lots of air to pass and softer stools. You would think it's the opposite but it's not.

Keep us posted on how you do. It really does help for those coming after us to see what works and what doesn't. Also more options to try to get things more towards 'normal'.
At 54 2014 1st colonoscopy colon cancer detect
Colon resect margins clear. No chemo Stage II
Distend abd, pain in intestines.
CT scan seeding & Ascites
Lap diag - cancer on the omentum
CEA 217; 219
FOLFOX started 6/17
CEA 202
8/29/17 CT melting of tumor.
Latest CT scan shows 2 new tumors and return of ascites.
CEA: (2017)9/30 -109; 10/12 -99.1; 11/4 -90.7; 11/30 -70.7; 12/14 -83.4; (2018)1/4 -73.3; 2/1-84.2; 89.2; 89.8; 88.5; 81.8: 93.5; 107; 119
BRAF V600e

AlexMichelle

Postby AlexMichelle » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:19 am

You had a lot of colon removed. My surgeon said it can take a long time for body to adjust, especially if part of rectum was removed. Because of my shortened colon and rectum, I have to have a bowel movement at least 8 times during the day and usually I wake up during the night and have to go. I feel pressure often and must go to toilet. Doctor said this should improve, but no guarantee. I do not have diarrhea like you, just extremely high frequency.
F 9/14/17 blood, 10/05/17 endoscopy/colonoscopy 4.5 cm tumor lower colon/upper rectum/left side -11/09/17 open Rectosigmoid Colon Resection remove invasive adenocarcinoma, moderately diff marg clear.15 lymph nodes neg malignancy. benign liver w/fibrous nodule- rectum at 15cm Tumor location: above peritoneal reflection 4.2 x 2.7 cm Tumor inv muscularis closest 1.5 cm. pT2pNO Stage 1. No Lynch

Jorlex

Postby Jorlex » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:05 pm

RWebster wrote:Hello, I'm almost 4 months post-op from removal of my sigmoid colon. I had a cancerous polyp and the surgeon removed about 16" of the colon. Surgery went well, pain was manageable and hopefully all the cancerous tissue was taken with the removed colon. My issue is that I'm still fighting against what I eat. I followed the dietary recommendations and thought the constipation and diarrhea would subside after a month or 2. Sadly that is not the case. I can eat something one time and not have an issue, then eat it again a few days later and spend most of the day running to the bathroom. I can have the feeling of diarrhea and not be able to go. Also have experienced a lot if gas, sometimes very painful. The scary part is sometimes what feels like gas and bloating is actually diarrhea so there isn't an option of trying to pass gas. It's been very difficult trying to get this under control since I don't know what will cause it at any given time. Any have any wise words or secrets that might help?

Hello, well I’m at 7 month mark and fighting that same exact battle. Everything you said, I’m living. My surgeon tells me to give it a year.
I’ve tries the probiotic, diets, meds.
It’s no fun. Especially when you try to go out to eat and have a an hour ride home. Not pretty.
I had 12 inches removed. Mostly sigmoid some rectal.
If you’ve found an answer, please share.
41 Female
Stage 1 Cancer
Resection: 11/6/17, 12” of Sigmoid removed for 5 cm tumor

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”