Another colonoscopy six months after a clear one and Fistula

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Whambar
Facebook Username: Stacey Millard

Another colonoscopy six months after a clear one and Fistula

Postby Whambar » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:09 pm

Hi everyone,

Love seeing a board with such a good support system, so looking for advice please.

Six months agao I had a colonoscopy due to weird bowel movement symptoms...got the all clear, clean as a whistle!

Two months later I developed a Bartholin Abscess which when pressed leaked out of my anus. Doctors said I was imagining it and it wouldve been leaking through my vaginal.....after seeing many doctors over a period of about a month one doctor sent me for an MRI which indeed confirmed a fistula from my Bartholin Gland to my anus.... quite a rare thing. Please don’t confuse this with a Recto Vaginal fistula, it’s not the same thing.

I had surgery to drain the abscess and sent away with antibiotics and had my follow up in January this year. I explained to the surgeon that I was still suffering from the abscess growing on a daily basis and when pressing on it, foul smelling mucus and blood would come from my back end.... even after seeing my previous colonoscopy results, they are insisting I have another one...which is tomorrow. They are suspecting Crohns...I have NO symptoms of crohns whatsoever.

I will have a date for fistula repair after the results of the colonoscopy.. Can so much develop in six months that they need to repeat it?
Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Any experiences, however graphic would help me a lot thank you x

Lee

Re: Another colonoscopy six months after a clear one and Fistula

Postby Lee » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:50 pm

While I have not experienced what you described, if they are recommending a 2nd scope, I would do it. I suspect they are looking for something that maybe was not there 6 months ago. IE maybe the Chohn's disease was not exhibiting itself 6 months ago. I am not a doctor, this is just a speculation on my part. Butt since they recommend a 2nd scope, please do it.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Whambar

Postby Whambar » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:11 pm

Thanks Lee,

Second dose of colon prep as we speak and colonoscopy in approx 6 hours...hopefully will get some answers.... thanks for the response :D

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:54 am

Whambar wrote:Thanks Lee,

Second dose of colon prep as we speak and colonoscopy in approx 6 hours...hopefully will get some answers.... thanks for the response :D

Good luck, been there,done that. More times than I want to remember. Please let us know what your result were. Here's hoping it was clean scope!!

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Whambar

Postby Whambar » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:13 am

Perfectly clean scope...taken three tissue biopsies and waiting on appt for surgery to tackle the Bartholin Gland and fistula.... as I suspected, they were focused on the wrong end but glad it’s all fine and dandy.

Thanks everyone x

Whambar

Postby Whambar » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:40 pm

Perfectly clean scope...taken three tissue biopsies and waiting on appt for surgery to tackle the Bartholin Gland and fistula.... as I suspected, they were focused on the wrong end but glad it’s all fine and dandy.

Thanks everyone x

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”