Lung Mets?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
crikklekay

Lung Mets?

Postby crikklekay » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:17 am

First a little background. After his emergency surgery to remove what was most likely a cancerous tumor he had an abdominal and chest CT scan to see if the cancer had spread anywhere else, both scans came up negative. That was around the new year, and he was diagnosed with stage III C colon cancer.

Only a month later we wound up back in the hospital where he was diagnosed with sepsis due to a staph infection that had taken up residence in his port. His Oncologist was worried about an abscess around the surgery site as a possible original location for the staph since he only had the port for 2 weeks, so she ordered an abdominal CT scan. The results were negative, but they thought they saw a blood clot at the very bottom of the lung so a chest CT scan was ordered. Those results came back showing one definite blood clot and two nodules. I wasn’t given a size, but we were told the nodes had a blurry/hazy aura so there were two possibilities: they could be septic embolisms where clumps of the bacteria had set up in the lungs after being pushed there from the port through the heart, or they could be lung mets the bacteria is clinging to. They aren’t definitely cancer because they didn’t have the squiggly arm shapes, but it couldn’t be ruled out. After he finishes 6 weeks of antibiotics they will do another CT scan. If the nodes have shrunk then they were septic embolisms, if not they are most likely cancer.

I’m terrified of the results as lung mets would mean he’s stage IV and I don’t know what that means for his treatment or future. Could cancer nodes really grow that fast, in just a little over a month? I guess they would need to be removed? Can you even biopsy something as small as a node? Is met removal a hard surgery to go through and recover from?

Any insight would be appreciated as Google has been less than helpful. I’m mainly finding studies from ncbi.nlm.nih.gov which is heavy on medical jargon and terrifying as they use terms like “sudden death”.
Caring for DH John
Stage IIIC, Lymph nodes: 6/22
Chemo: FOLFOX (6)
12/17 ER and emergency surgery
02/18 Hospital w/MSSA infected port, PICC line inserted, chest CT scan showed septic emboli & blood clots
03/18 Hospital w/CDIFF
08/18 CT Scan Clear, NEMD
2018/2019/2021 Colonoscopy Clear
2019/2020/2021/2022 CT Scan Clear
2021 PET scan & MRI show one spot on liver
08/21 Liver surgery to remove spot, confirmed mCRC. Now Stage IV
09/21 Start Folfiri + Avastin
03/22 CEA Rise, continuing chemo

Lee

Re: Lung Mets?

Postby Lee » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:01 pm

Sorry for all that your husband is going through.

At some point they might want to do a PET scan. If there is cancer, the PET scan should pick it up.

IF it is lung mets, know there are many options out there for dealing with them. It is not the death sentence it once used to be. There are many people who have dealt with lung mets and are NED today. So please do not give up hope.

The one thing I would highly recommend, if it is a lung met, get a 2nd opinion at a major cancer hospital or major cancer treatment center would be a good thing to do. In fact you might want to start on it now just to see what they say. Sometimes a 2nd pair of eyes can thing things from a different perspective.

Good luck, let us know .
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”