Platelet count 424

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
AlexMichelle

Platelet count 424

Postby AlexMichelle » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:02 pm

I had Colorectal cancer resection four months ago. In December my blood work up was normal. Yesterday, I had another blood work up and my platelet level was 424. In the past it has always been in the low 200s. My document in regard to platelet count, says the normal range is 150 to 400. In addition to the platelet count being 424, some of the other percentages were marked as either a little higher than normal or a little lower than normal. From everything that I read, it should be concerning to have a higher platelet level after having colon cancer.

I don't know if this is a factor or not, but I did catch that really bad flu two weeks ago today and perhaps that is still stressing my body? I was wondering how high is considered high when it comes to platelet count? What kind of numbers do the doctors see when they start getting concerned? The other factor that concerns me in regard to this is I have never felt so fatigued. My exhaustion level is something I have never experienced before which also could be due to the fact that I had the flu and it has only been two weeks since I first got it. I did get on Tamiflu but I think I started it too late. The doctor just put me on anabiotic's due to my incision wound not healing so if there is some other underlying infection, perhaps the anabiotics will kill that as well. Any input as to platelet count levels would be much appreciated.
F 9/14/17 blood, 10/05/17 endoscopy/colonoscopy 4.5 cm tumor lower colon/upper rectum/left side -11/09/17 open Rectosigmoid Colon Resection remove invasive adenocarcinoma, moderately diff marg clear.15 lymph nodes neg malignancy. benign liver w/fibrous nodule- rectum at 15cm Tumor location: above peritoneal reflection 4.2 x 2.7 cm Tumor inv muscularis closest 1.5 cm. pT2pNO Stage 1. No Lynch

ranger
Facebook Username: cancerIsSOfunny

Re: Platelet count 424

Postby ranger » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:58 am

My platelets hover in the high 400s so I was given an iron infusion in case it was my body trying to rebuild after years of blood loss. Eventually I was tested positive for the JAK-2 mutation and given the diagnosis of Essential Thrombocytosis, a myoproliferative neoplasm disease characterized by overproduction of platelets. Most people start treatment before reaching 1000 but I'm only taking baby aspirin to reduce the possibility of a pulmonary embolism. I'm not the kind of person who is comforted or better able to make health decisions by researching my medical problems, so for now I'm not Googling. I have occasional blood draws and checkups with a hematologist at my Cancer Center (every 6 months) and doing my best to ignore the whole thing between checkups.
Elevated platelet levels can have any number of causes, so I think your first step would be to ask your oncologist (who may also be a hematologist) for an opinion, or a referral to a doctor who will work with you.
I'm disappointed to have another illness but I know a lot of people who would envy having only 2-3 oncology visits per year and no evidence of colon cancer.
Thanks for opening this thread. Until now I haven't heard of this particular whammy.

Amy
colon resection 3/09
liver resection and takedown 8/09
11 rounds of folfax, avastin. plus AM655 or placebo, completed jan 2010
hernia repair 3/11
http://cancerissofunny.blogspot.com/
https://m.facebook.com/Cancer-is-SO-fun ... 100303900/
@cancerissofunny
age 70, never thought I'd make it. happy.
NED a long time.
Essential Thrombocytosis, monitoring
still here.

AlexMichelle

Re: Platelet count 424

Postby AlexMichelle » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:41 pm

Thank you for all of that information, Amy. I will let you know what Oncologist says about it after I meet with him this Friday. Amy, how often do you get CT scans? Do you do colonoscopies once per year?
F 9/14/17 blood, 10/05/17 endoscopy/colonoscopy 4.5 cm tumor lower colon/upper rectum/left side -11/09/17 open Rectosigmoid Colon Resection remove invasive adenocarcinoma, moderately diff marg clear.15 lymph nodes neg malignancy. benign liver w/fibrous nodule- rectum at 15cm Tumor location: above peritoneal reflection 4.2 x 2.7 cm Tumor inv muscularis closest 1.5 cm. pT2pNO Stage 1. No Lynch

ranger
Facebook Username: cancerIsSOfunny

Re: Platelet count 424..... pkus: quack or not

Postby ranger » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:58 am

Hi AlexMichelle,
I get colonoscopies every 3 years (my GI may have increased it to every 5 years. I don't remember till they schedule me). I'm done with CT scans for now.
I have blood work and hematology appointments to monitor my platelet levels, somewhat haphazardly because my cancer center sometimes shuffles appointments.
Am thinking of looking into CBD , non THC cannibus oil.
Quack, or not? That's the question.
Not much verified research
Amy (strange ranger)
colon resection 3/09
liver resection and takedown 8/09
11 rounds of folfax, avastin. plus AM655 or placebo, completed jan 2010
hernia repair 3/11
http://cancerissofunny.blogspot.com/
https://m.facebook.com/Cancer-is-SO-fun ... 100303900/
@cancerissofunny
age 70, never thought I'd make it. happy.
NED a long time.
Essential Thrombocytosis, monitoring
still here.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”