Weird symptoms, any suggestions?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Jjinkins

Weird symptoms, any suggestions?

Postby Jjinkins » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:51 pm

Hey, I hope everyone’s having a wonderful day.

Let me start out with my stats: 22, 158 pounds, 5,8 , male

My body has been acting very odd lately & it’s at the point where it’s making me depressed.

Symptoms:
Low iron & ferritin
Dizzy
Fatigued legit I’m always so tired and exhausted
Lost about 15 lbs in the past 2-3 months
Dark stools but I am on iron medicine, I’ve also had bright red blood but i was passing quite large stools than. Now I’ve been using the restroom more frequently & they’re really narrow. I also feel like I have to constantly go.
I’ve visited a few doctors and they say I may just be allergic to gluten. I was suggested an endoscopy or colonoscopy but my insurance deductible is so high & im going to school ect

What do I do? I used to exercise quite often (I had an incredible physique been working out for 5 years) now people are asking me why I lost all my size & I don’t know why.

LeonW

Re: Weird symptoms, any suggestions?

Postby LeonW » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:14 am

Jjinkins wrote:. . . had bright red blood but i was passing quite large stools then

Blood in stool always sets *my* alarm bells off. And, where I happen to live fortunately, any GP would have sent you off for colonoscopy right away (fully covered for everyone). But if it is beyond your budget and correlates with incidents as hardened stool, I can imagine that you would monitor it for a short while.

a few doctors and they say I may just be allergic to gluten . . .
Who isn't allergic to gluten these days :oops:. But you may want to keep in mind that only "1 in 111 adults (0.9%) have a gluten allergy". With gastrointestinal complaints it is "1 in 30 adults (3.3%)" http://www.allergy-details.com/gluten-free-diet/gluten-allergy-symptoms/

But, as a layman with only a little cancer experience I'd rather think of some other gastrointestinal issue than cancer
Most likely, someone else here can shine other light / consider your iron/ferrotin exeption.
Good luck, Leon
Last edited by LeonW on Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 2012 - CC 2 unresect liver mets, CEA 41.8 (MM 65yrs)
Jan 2013 - colectomy @ spleen 2/26 nodes IVa T3N1bM1a
Feb-Jul - 1x Xelox-7x Xelox/Avastin, shrinkage from #3
Aug - 2x PV embolization (both failed)
Sep 2013 - R liver resect, 25d hosp (liver failure/delirium, lung emboli, encephalopathy), no living cancer (pCR)
2014/15 - recovery, scopy: 2 polyps
2016 - new town/life
2018, scopy: 2 polyps
2018/20 low (1.0-1.4) CEAs/clean CTs: 4x2014, 6x2015-17, 3x2018-20
next June 2021!

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:17 am

Hi Jjinkins

What does your Dr. attribute the low iron and ferratin to? That makes me suspicious about blood loss in the colon or rectum, butt of course, your asking in a Colon cancer forum.

If the loss is from something else, I wouldn't be as concerned, butt if it's suspected to be colon related, I'd push for a colonoscopy, even if your deductible is high.

Best Wishes,
peanut
female, diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

JennPixie

Postby JennPixie » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:27 am

Get. Your. Butt. 'Scoped.
ASAP

If it's gluten, diet change. And you can breathe easier.
But dude, d ont risk it. Get the 'scope. Borrow from family, friends, if you have to.

I went to doc coz I was unable to go... unable to keep any Food or even liquid down, of course that left me fatigued and weak, and there was a severe pain round the midsection that I thought was from "constipation"

Doc drew blood, said I had "shockingly low" iron.
"Well I've always been anemic..."
"No. This is something else, not even severe anemia. It's almost non existsnt."

He sent me for a CT Scan to find out why my red blood cells were so thoroughly trashed.
Called me at stupid-o'clock in the morning to tell me to get to the hospital.

Huge mass, perforation, needed surgery right then.

If I had paid more attention to symptoms before it got that bad, I might have had a different outcome. Might have been an easier road. Might not, I can't say for sure. But damn, a part of me wishes I had gone sooner to see what was going on when I first started loosing my energy. Before the irregularity and change in colour/consistency. Well before the really bad stuff. Maybe could have caught it back then. Maybe could have avoided a whole word of hurtin. And save a f*ck-ton of money, too.

Go. Get. 'Scoped.
Find out now what's going on.
F, 44y/o
Colon cancer, ascending colon
Stage 4
NTN: T4N1M1
Colostomy, reversal, loop illeostomy

Started FOLFOX Feb. 14th...

A work in progress...
...Aren't we all.?.
8)

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:29 am

For some reason, I was thinking about you last night at 3 am when I was unable to get back to sleep, Jjinkins. It occurred to me that colonoscopies should be covered under an ACA compliant insurance plan. Here's more information...

The Affordable Care Act requires health plans that started on or after September 23, 2010 to cover colorectal cancer screening tests. Although many private insurance plans cover the costs for colonoscopy as a screening test, you still might be charged for some services.Mar 2, 2017. https://www.google.com/search?source=hp ... cv271DH83Q

Hopefully this applies to you, and you don't need to worry about your deductible.
Best Wishes,
peanut
female, diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”