3cm mass found in first colonoscopy Friday

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Harleylc

3cm mass found in first colonoscopy Friday

Postby Harleylc » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:15 pm

I’m thankful to have found your group. I am 50 and a 10 year stage 1 breast cancer survivor. I had my first colonoscopy on Friday and they removed a 5cm polyp through normal procedure but also saw a 3cm mass located in the upper proximal ascending colon. It is a non circumferential mass, no bleeding present. It was biopsies for histology. Obviously I have countless questions and concerns until I have results back. I am a cancer survivor, I know the drill and have successfully and thankfully lived through chemo and radiation 10 years ago. Having read past posts on this page, there are occasions that the Dr and nurse came out immediately and said it was cancer to the patient. My Dr did not nor did the nurse but their reactions were leading in that direction. Is there a trusted site that I can research the odds or probability of masses that end up being cancer? Do masses start as polyps? There is an overwhelming amount of info on the web and I know how that can only complicate my thought process. I was single when I had breast cancer and am now married. What is the best advice for my husband to deal with this? Thanks for any input. God Bless.

Lee

Re: 3cm mass found in first colonoscopy Friday

Postby Lee » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:38 pm

Hi and welcome, sorry for the reason you had to find us.

Congratulations on being breast cancer survivor. 10 years is a major milestone.

Yes masses do start out as polyps. Not all polyps turn into cancer, butt some do. Generally it takes about 10 yrs for a polyps to turn cancerous. Avoid Dr. Google, some of the information out there is out of date or just wrong. Hang around here until you get your results. Did they give you any idea when the pathology report will be complete? Make sure you get a copy of it.

If it is cancer, know that it is very treatable.

I suspect whether it is cancer or not, it will need to be removed, thus you want to look for a "board certified" colon rectal surgeon vs a general surgeon.

If you have any sibling, they should probably get a colonoscopy also. Do you know if colon cancer runs in your family?

If it is cancer, make sure your husband comes with you to doctors appt in the beginning, just to have a 2nd pair of ears. Sometimes the information is overwhelming especially in the beginning.

Here is a sticky you might want to look over. Terminology and abbreviation

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5366

good luck, If it is cancer, know that you are not alone here.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

rp1954

Postby rp1954 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:38 pm

We used Life Extension's articles to immediately start "first aid for CRC" and gain important opportunities that conventional medicine hasn't recognized yet, within the first days and weeks. This worked well for us, despite what turned out to be stage 4b, confused information, delays, and some drs that gave up too soon or were too circumspect.

Our CRC first aid plan:
1. Cimetidine and high potency immune supplements, with some extras beyond LEF to immediately launch an immune attack, reduce surgical mets and complications, and remove gross deficiencies e.g. vitamin D.
2. Extra bloodwork. You can't measure, plan, treat or talk about what you can't see. I wheedled the first extra blood test out of the surgeon after some effort, but just ordered and paid cash for extra blood tests, most of the time after that.

"Investment in/of a lifetime"
Taking these steps the first few days was time critical for us, probably so for most advanced CRC patients.
watchful, active researcher and caregiver for stage IVb/c CC. surgeries 4/10 sigmoid etc & 5/11 para-aortic LN cluster; 8 yrs immuno-Chemo for mCRC; now no chemo
most of 2010 Life Extension recommendations and possibilities + more, some (much) higher, peaking ~2011-12, taper chemo to almost nothing mid 2018, IV C-->2021. Now supplements

Harleylc

Postby Harleylc » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:12 pm

Thank you. I am supposed to know biopsy results in a few days. Praying for the best and trying to remain optimistic. Yes, surgery is a given to remove the mass and the part of the colon that it attached to. I have a very strong history of breast cancer in my family but not aware of colon cancer and I have had no symptoms. I will let you know what I find out and am sure will have more questions.

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:50 am

Between now and the pathology report, if you need to vent, this is the place to do it. BELIEVE me, we have all walked in your shoes. We do UNDERSTAND what you are going though at this moment.

So please vent away if you need to!!!

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

O Stoma Mia

Postby O Stoma Mia » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:01 am

Harleylc wrote:... Yes, surgery is a given to remove the mass and the part of the colon that it attached to....

Since surgery is a given whether the mass is malignant or benign, it will be important to find the best Board Certified colorectal surgeon you can find, and also, if possible, to arrange to have the surgery done in a hospital that does a high volume of gastro-intestinal surgeries per year.

http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59507&p=472211#p472211

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”