I am scared and have questions

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
ccschwartz

I am scared and have questions

Postby ccschwartz » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:06 am

Hi, I am very new to this and I am not sure how I should be feeling. So I am a 25 year old woman and last week I had a colonoscopy. They said they found 1 2mm polyp and fatty tissue in a small part of my colon. They said it was very unusual for someone my age to have this. My doctor called me yesterday to say he was going to review my images with another a doctor and then told me late in the afternoon they he wants me to get an MRI of my pelvis. I feel like besides the facts he is not really giving me any information of why he is doing this and what they are looking for. I don't know if what answers I am even looking for I just thought maybe writing on here other people know what I am experiencing and maybe give me some insight or something. Please if anyone on here has been though this please talk to me and help me understand.

Caat55

Re: I am scared and have questions

Postby Caat55 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:00 pm

I have found you have to ask specific questions. Did they do a biopsy? Why are you recommending an MRI? Typically they have to get itpre- approved by your insurance so he should have plenty of time to answer your questions. They told me straight out of my colonoscopy that they found a tumor, not a polyp. Why did you have a colonoscopy at 25, were you having other symptoms?
S
Do at 55 y.o. Female
Dx 9/26/17 RC Stage 3
Completed 33 rad. tx, xeolda 12/8/17
MRI and PET 1/18 sign. regression
Surgery 1/31/18 Ileostomy, clean margins, no lymph node involved
Port 3/1/2018
Oxaliplatin and Xeloda start 3/22/18
Last Oxaliplatin 7/5/18, 5 rounds
CT NED 9/2018
PET NED 12/18
Clear Colonoscopy 2/19, 5/20

ccschwartz

Postby ccschwartz » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:09 pm

Caat55 wrote:I have found you have to ask specific questions. Did they do a biopsy? Why are you recommending an MRI? Typically they have to get itpre- approved by your insurance so he should have plenty of time to answer your questions. They told me straight out of my colonoscopy that they found a tumor, not a polyp. Why did you have a colonoscopy at 25, were you having other symptoms?
S

So I had the colonoscopy because I was have severe abdominal pain for a few weeks, digestive problems, and orange mucus was coming out of me, and one day I had a White blood cell count of 20,000 but then the next day it was back to normal. So then we did the colonoscopy and he found that 1 polyp and a nodule. So he said the MRI is an attempt to avoid having another procedure done and the biopsy is to look at small ulcers in the sigmoid colon and the MRI is for the nodule which apparently are two different things.

O Stoma Mia

Postby O Stoma Mia » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:09 pm

I haven't been through a colonoscopy that found any polyps, but if I had, I would at least have expected them to inform me of the status of the polyp that they did find, and also tell me why they are ordering an MRI.

For the polyp, I would expect them to tell me:
- where the polyp was located
- what kind of polyp it was (flat? tubular?)
- whether they tried to remove the polyp or not
- whether the removal was complete or only partial
- whether they tattooed the polyp location so they could go back and check on it on the next scheduled colonoscopy
- whether they sent the polyp out for testing, and if so, when the results would be known.(cancerous vs non-cancerous)
- whether they found anything else unusual, and if so, what it was(diverticulosis? ulcers? hemorrhoids? colitis? fistula? fissure? etc.)
- whether they managed to view the whole colon, or only part of it.
- when do they expect you to come in for a followup colonoscopy (3 years? 5 years? 10 years? etc.)
-
As for the MRI, I don't understand why they would need to do one of those right now, or if they did have a reason, they should have explained it.

So, basically I feel that they didn't give you as much information as they could have given you, given the circumstances

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”