Worried about test results

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Susisu

Worried about test results

Postby Susisu » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:00 am

Hi Everyone,

I really don’t know if anyone can help me with this, but it’s worth a shot!
I originally went to my doctor with lower left abdominal pain that radiates into my back with concerns about ovarian cancer as I have family history. After my doctor did an intimate examination she said she couldn’t find anything obvious, however, after she palpated my tummy she asked about my bowel habits and said she thought it was a bowel problem and ordered blood and stool samples to be done.
My blood work came back with low iron levels, and today she called me saying she would like to discuss my stool sample results that had just come back, as the results were ‘elevated’ and woul discuss the finding during our next appointment. She wants to go into more detail of my history and bowel habits, general health and will also do a rectal examination, before deciding how urgently I may need a colonoscopy.
My bowel habits are very erratic, I am either completely constipated for weeks at a time, or I feel the need to go several times a day and feel like my bowel is permanently full.
I also had a pelvic scan both internal and external to rule out any ovarian abnormalities, and the radiographer had some difficulty getting pictures as she said I have a very ‘active bowel’.
I asked my doctor what she meant by elevated results and she said she would rather discuss it in person, as she didn’t want me worrying until I see her. This has left me worried anyway, as I have no idea what’s going on and was hoping somebody on this forum, may have some idea?
I have to wait until Tuesday afternoon for my appointment, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

AppleTree

Re: Worried about test results

Postby AppleTree » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:05 pm

Yes, that...wait to talk to me in my office...scares me too. Just try to relax. Tuesday will be here before you know it and then you will hopefully get good news from your Dr. The waiting can be agonizing, I get it. Try to distract your mind so you can have a mental stress break. I usually like to knit, but my fingers are a bit clumsy lately. But, tomorrow I am looking forward to watching the Olympic Opening Ceremonies. Sorry I can not answer your questions, but I can offer understanding. I have been in the same place before. Hang in there!
Diag Feb 5, 2016 Age 45
3 cm tumor 5 cm from verge
Radiation + Xeloda pills - 3000mg 5x week
3/14 - 4/16 - 25 sessions
Shrank just over 50% L nodes 0/13
Remove rectum with temp Ileo 6/17
Reversal 7/20 due to infection
Acute hepatitis August. Chemo cancelled
June to September 2016 - 58 days in hospital

6/16, MRI shadow in lung
Pet - 6.6mm Met in Upper R lobe
7/30 VAT surgery Mass General/Boston
8/24 port
8/30 - 4/28 Folfox. 12 rounds
June CT shows new lung Mets.
July/Oct PETs...CLEAR!

O Stoma Mia

FOBT

Postby O Stoma Mia » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:37 am

It might be that your doctor needs more time to evaluate all of the test results. Also, she might need to ask you a few questions before she can decide which of the available interpretations of the data would he most appropriate.

There are 3 types of stool test authorized by USPSTF for screening purposes. Do you know which type of stool test you had? Some of the stool tests are more difficult to interpret than others, and the test results from the lab probably contain just the factual findings without any clinical interpretation. The clinical interpretation has to be provided by your doctor, and presumably this would require some extra work on her part.

Screening tests for colorectal cancer
https://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/Page/Document/RecommendationStatementFinal/colorectal-cancer-screening2#tab

Fecal Occult Blood Test
https://www.medicinenet.com/fecal_occult_blood_tests/article.htm#how_do_the_results_of_chemical_fecal_occult_blood_testing_compare_with_immunologic_fecal_occult_blood_testing

Susisu

Postby Susisu » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:34 am

Thank you for your replies, hopefully this is all just a storm in a teacup and I am very lucky to have such a thoroughly attentive GP on the case!
I don’t know what kind of stool test it was, but it took 2 weeks for the results, so I assume it was pretty comprehensive!
I will update once I have more news, thank you for the support!

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:30 pm

I'm sorry you're going through this and hope you get answers soon!*hugs*
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

Susisu

Postby Susisu » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:24 am

I just wanted to give you guys an update. My test results showed a slight elevation in Calprotectin (level 75). Due to this, the abdominal pain, low iron, weight loss and change in bowel habits, I have been fast tracked for a colonoscopy, I’m just waiting for my appointment date.
I realise that I could be diagnosed with a number of conditions and that cancer is least likely, it will be a relief to get a diagnosis and treatment plan whatever the outcome.
Thanks for your support and inspiration, reading these forums and experiences puts everything into perspective.
I will update once I have a date for my colonoscopy.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”