Normal stools then constipated all of a sudden.

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Dizzypine

Normal stools then constipated all of a sudden.

Postby Dizzypine » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:43 pm

I had normal sized stools everyday. Then one day(maybe due to me eating a lot of junk food at an event), I got constipated.

Normally when I get constipated I still feel the urge to go, it is just hard. However, this time I lost the urge to poop.
After 7 days I went to the doctor. I was given miralax(osmotic) to take 2 times for 2 days. Then ex-lax(stimulant laxative) until I could go again normally.

The miralax worked and I just got off of it yesterday and I am still feeling the effects of it. However, I went 4 times today and 2 times it was long pencil shaped stools.

There is no pain or blood. I am still only going about 3/4 or normal for me.

Should I give it some more time? What caused my constipstion? Could those thin stools be cancer(I never had any symptoms before last week).

O Stoma Mia

Causes of constipation

Postby O Stoma Mia » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:35 am

There are lots of causes of constipation. What I would do for now is look over the possible causes and see if there is something obvious on the list that might be the current cause. It might be something recent that could be easily corrected.

Here is an article with a list of common causes.

What is Constipation?
https://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/digestive-diseases-constipation

And another article...

Causes of Thin, Narrow Stools Besides Colon Cancer
http://scarysymptoms.com/2012/01/causes-of-thin-narrow-stools-besides/

Dizzypine

Re: Normal stools then constipated all of a sudden.

Postby Dizzypine » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:33 pm

I am doing the same I always have. After going to the bathroom a lot from the laxatives, I stopped taking them. I felt no urge to go to the bathroom today. I feel some gas at the bottom of my colon I think but I just don’t feel like anything is in there. Yesterday I had some pencil thin stools. I read this could be cancer. Could cancer be blocking my bowels? Would symptoms just go from normal to full on can’t going in a week? If not, what could that mean?

Also how do I get the urge to go back? Laxatives work but I don’t want to get dependent on them to go.

Dizzypine

Re: Normal stools then constipated all of a sudden.

Postby Dizzypine » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:36 pm

Disregard the last cancer part. I just saw the link you provided. I have been eating more fiber. So now my only question is when will I be able to go again? Going every couple of days is not normal for me. As I said before I just got off laxatives today and haven’t felt the urge to go.

O Stoma Mia

Bowel Management Guide

Postby O Stoma Mia » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:07 pm

MD Anderson Cancer Center has a Bowel Management Program with a Bowel Management Guide that has tips on how to re-train your bowel to have regular movements..

Here is a link to the page where you can download this guide as well as other relevant booklets. The download. links are on the right-hand side of the web page under Patient Education:

https://www.mdanderson.org/patients-family/diagnosis-treatment/emotional-physical-effects/bowel-management.html

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”