Folfox question re: timeline & platletts

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
AppleTree

Folfox question re: timeline & platletts

Postby AppleTree » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:50 am

I have had 7 of 12 Folfox treatments. The last few times my platlets were low at the 2 week mark, so everything was rescheduled an extra week...out to 3 weeks.

Last Friday after 2 weeks my platlets were at 50. Sorta makes me wonder what they wete at the 1 week mark. I knew they must be low because I got covered in big bruises! There,was some talk of a blood transfusion and then my Dr said to just reschedule for the next Friday. I went Friday and my platlets were up to 80, but still not the needed 100. Dr is out on vacation all week so they scheduled me out for another week. That will make 4 weeks in between treatments.

I asked for something earlier in the week, but all the chemo chairs are full. I am wondering if I should call the oncologist on call and see if I can get in earlier? There is a whole 2nd side with lots of chairs, but they like me to stay on the side of my oncologist. I am just a bit antsy because my oncologist does not really like going 3 weeks since all the research is based on a 2 week schedule...and now I am being put off 4 weeks. And she is out and not aware of it.

Any thoughts?
Diag Feb 5, 2016 Age 45
3 cm tumor 5 cm from verge
Radiation + Xeloda pills - 3000mg 5x week
3/14 - 4/16 - 25 sessions
Shrank just over 50% L nodes 0/13
Remove rectum with temp Ileo 6/17
Reversal 7/20 due to infection
Acute hepatitis August. Chemo cancelled
June to September 2016 - 58 days in hospital

6/16, MRI shadow in lung
Pet - 6.6mm Met in Upper R lobe
7/30 VAT surgery Mass General/Boston
8/24 port
8/30 - 4/28 Folfox. 12 rounds
June CT shows new lung Mets.
July/Oct PETs...CLEAR!

CAGirl

Re: Folfox question re: timeline & platletts

Postby CAGirl » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:13 pm

Do you think your platelets are back up now? I never had to postpone, as I never had a problem with low platelets. I can say that IF the chair situation is the only reason you're having to wait those extra few days, I would ABSOLUTELY be a squeaky wheel and call to get in sooner. My chemo nurses were so good about accommodating me and my needs. I would think they would put you wherever they can to get your infusion as soon as possible. I know I wouldn't want to push it out four weeks. Advocate for yourself, especially in the absence of your oncologist.
Dx 2/2017, age 45, 2 kids: 6 yrs & 3 yrs
History of Crohn's disease - dx in 1997; in remission, thus no colonoscopy in over 10 years
Anemia dx 11/16: GI doc assured me "the likelihood of colon cancer" was "very low".
Stage 3C - T3N2b
8/64 lymph nodes; clear margins surgery 3/17
12 cycles of Folfox 4/17-9/17
3-month CT scan midway through chemo, no changes
2-3-mo CT scan post chemo 11/17 slightly larger lung nod (incr. from 7mm to 8 or 9mm)
CT scan 3/18 - NED
clear CT scan 1/2019 NED

mozart13

Re: Folfox question re: timeline & platletts

Postby mozart13 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:30 pm

I had few treatments delayed by week, low platlets, was quite happy to have extra week off, at the end didn’t make any difference for me.
Once was borderline, so my Oncologist ask me if I wanna stay or go, home was my answer, after that it wasn’t my dessicion to make, I suppose they new my answer.
If any thing, it means chemo is working.
55 year at the time of diagnosis, male
Diagnosed with T1,T2 N0 M0 rectal cancer
Total neoadjuvant therapy or TNT (chemoradiation followed by systemic chemotherapy)
Negative since Feb. '17
No surgery
Watch&Wait approach 8)
I don’t come much to the forum , so if this is not updated it means I remain negative!
Wish good luck to all!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”