Colon Cancer Signs

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
answer03

Colon Cancer Signs

Postby answer03 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:18 pm

Hi all,

I know you probably get these questions a lot, but I wanted to ask anyway. I'm 32yo male with no family history of colon cancer and no other medical conditions.

I've had a couple days of flat, ribbon like stool and mentioned it to my wife. She seemed concerned and then I told her that I've had these before and have also had loose stools on and off for the last few years. I have never thought anything about it, but after looking online I'm finding myself worrying more and more. I'm going in to talk with my DR in a couple of days, but just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this being the only symptom of cancer of the colon.

Also, I mentioned it to my mom who said she has had that on and off for her whole life as well as loose stools for 1-2 years at a time. As has my 91 yo grandfather. I just am having a hard time understanding what a normal BM is and also having trouble recollecting if I've had any in a while. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Pemba

Re: Colon Cancer Signs

Postby Pemba » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:24 pm

Hi

Flat, ribbon like stool and loose stools dont necessary mean that anything is wrong, it can be a diet thing, like lack of fiber or the way you sit on the toilet, even hemorrhoids. Its great getting it checked out, but if you dont have any bleeding, stomach pain, painfull stools or anything like that, I would not worry to much. Actually on the Danish Cancer website where they list around 10 symptoms on Colon Cancer, thin stools are not mentioned, and I get the feeling that many people have experienced it. If the doctor find nothing wrong and the problem continues try buying a squatty potty, it sounds silly but it work wonders.
2017: 15mm Tubulovillous adenoma- Low grade dysplasi.
Next scopy: original 2020 probably 2018-19

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:55 pm

Personally, I wouldn't be to concerned about flat ribbon like stools. Of course, it wouldn't hurt to mention it to your GP.

If you ever see blood, that would be important, and require further searching for the cause.

Best Wishes,
peanut
female, diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:58 pm

peanut_8 wrote:Personally, I wouldn't be to concerned about flat ribbon like stools. Of course, it wouldn't hurt to mention it to your GP.

If you ever see blood, that would be important, and require further searching for the cause.

Best Wishes,
peanut

edited to add
If you do see your GP, he/she can do a fecal occult test test to check for blood you can't see.
female, diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

answer03

Postby answer03 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:25 pm

thank you all. Beginning around 5 or 6 years ago I would spot a small amount of bright red blood on toilet paper and occasionally on stool. This would happen once or twice during a painful BM and then not happen again for 6mo to a year. This hasn't happened in about 2 or more years (can't remember when the last time was, but know it was some time ago). My doctor at the time had said it was likely hemorrhoids, but didn't do much of an exam. Order a fecal occult test, but never heard anything back from that DR, so guessing that was a positive thing?

I will ask this DR to perform one and see if anything could be amiss. Thank you all for the replies.

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:28 pm

More than likely hemorrhoids or constipation. But do talk to your Dr.

Good luck,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:10 pm

It's good to talk to your doctor. I hope you get answers soon!*hugs*
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

answer03

Postby answer03 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:54 pm

So I saw my doctor and he didn't seem concerned. He said without a family history and given my age he would not be concerned with the condition of flat stool. He said if I had blood in my stool I could be concerned, but otherwise to stop worrying about it. Thank you all for the advice.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”