Rectal tumor question

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
ilovemyfrenchie

Rectal tumor question

Postby ilovemyfrenchie » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:13 pm

Hello!

My mother was told that her primary cancer originated from her rectal tumor. Her initial CT in the ER showed her liver Mets but we did not find out about her rectal tumor until her colonoscopy the next day. They actually could not even advance the scope due to the size of the rectal tumor and had to cancel the rest of the colonoscopy. She has had 5 rounds of only chemo since and her follow up CT scan showed her liver Mets shrunk. However both CT scans did not mention anything about her rectal tumor. My question is how do we know the rectal tumor size now? I asked the oncologist but she said if the liver mets shrunk then the rectal tumor shrunk too. How can she know that if the CT didn’t even mention anything about it? I just feel like these doctors have already given up on her since she’s stage 4.

Thanks guys
Daughter to 59 yo w/ Stage 4 Mets to liver & peritoneal
10/1/17 ER trip for GI bleed found rectal tumor (CEA 71)
10/2/17 emergency colostomy (no resection, told tumor inoperable due to Mets found)
10/17 started Folfiri with Avastin (CEA 171)
8/18 CT = liver Mets continue to shrink (CEA 4)

“Chemo for life” hoping for surgery soon

O Stoma Mia

Re: Rectal tumor question

Postby O Stoma Mia » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:14 pm

ilovemyfrenchie wrote:Hello!

My mother was told that her primary cancer originated from her rectal tumor. Her initial CT in the ER showed her liver Mets but we did not find out about her rectal tumor until her colonoscopy the next day. They actually could not even advance the scope due to the size of the rectal tumor and had to cancel the rest of the colonoscopy. She has had 5 rounds of only chemo since and her follow up CT scan showed her liver Mets shrunk. However both CT scans did not mention anything about her rectal tumor. My question is how do we know the rectal tumor size now? I asked the oncologist but she said if the liver mets shrunk then the rectal tumor shrunk too. How can she know that if the CT didn’t even mention anything about it? I just feel like these doctors have already given up on her since she’s stage 4.

Thanks guys

They can get very accurate information on size and extent of invasion of rectal tumors by doing an MRI. Have they tried doing that?

In the NAPRC Standards Manual Section 2.3 they have a standard for describing rectal tumors by MRI.
Last edited by O Stoma Mia on Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Caat55

Postby Caat55 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:42 am

ilovemyfrenchie wrote:Hello!

Thanks guys

MRI and or PET scan will give them what they need.
Take care
Do at 55 y.o. Female
Dx 9/26/17 RC Stage 3
Completed 33 rad. tx, xeolda 12/8/17
MRI and PET 1/18 sign. regression
Surgery 1/31/18 Ileostomy, clean margins, no lymph node involved
Port 3/1/2018
Oxaliplatin and Xeloda start 3/22/18
Last Oxaliplatin 7/5/18, 5 rounds
CT NED 9/2018
PET NED 12/18
Clear Colonoscopy 2/19, 5/20

susie0915
Facebook Username: Susan DeGrazia Hostetter

Postby susie0915 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:28 am

They could also do a sigmoidoscopy. My surgeon did that after chemo/radiation and said only scar tissue remained. I also had a pet scan that showed no cancer and said especially in distal rectal area.
58 yrs old Dx @ 55
5/15 DX T3N0MO
6/15 5 wks chemo/rad
7/15 sigmoidoscopy/only scar tissue left
8/15 PET scan NED
9/15 LAR
0/24 nodes
10/15 blockage. surgery,early ileo rev, c-diff inf :(
12/15 6 rds of xelox
5/16 CT lung scarring/inflammation
9/16 clear colonoscopy
4/17 C 4mm lung nod