Regarding my colonoscopy outcome

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Asawhite

Regarding my colonoscopy outcome

Postby Asawhite » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:12 pm

Hi there, I’m a 28 year old male

So from the start.... a bit more than a year ago I had a change in bowel habits, what I though was diarrhoea, but was actually sloppy constipation, After a little while it did concern me, but as a stupid man I put it to the back of my mind, as I felt fit I thought it was nothing. Anyway this sloppy constipation went on for around a year, along with a slight change in frequency, where I used to go for 1-2 toilets a day, now I’m going for 3-4, I put this down to eating more and going to the gym. I used to eat a lot because I wanted to be stocky, again I’m a silly man. I used to eat 4 meals a day, along with a high calorie post gym drink. I used to eat at funny times. I never had pain, but I did used to have a slight churning belly a lot, I put this down to eating too much and at silly times.
About 6 months after the change in bowel habits I started working in construction and felt the fittest and strongest I ever had, this went on for about 6 months, when I started noticing maroon blood on my stool and in the toilet, after about three weeks this turned to blood clots, this is when I contacted my doctor, I was panicking because it hit home about my change in bowel habits that i made myself believe was nothing serious. I went for a blood test that came back fine, doctor told me not to strain, blood clots stopped, but blood remained for a while. Churning stomach stopped when I started eating better, mainly veg. In the mean time I went to see a speacilist, where a stool sample was taken to check for inflammation, it came back slightly high so a full colonoscopy was booked. The doctor said it’s likely hemmorhoids and gave me stool softener, this worked for a bit then made me more constipated. Since making a effort not to strain what so ever, I have only been going to the toilet 1 or two times a day, mainly in the morning as soon as I get up, haven’t really felt the need to, but I squat for a couple mins and something comes, either mild constipation, or sloppy diahorra like constipation. No blood though . What I have noticed is some white/clear mucus, when I wipe, it takes the colour of being slightly yellow when mixed with the stool. One time I noticed a white mucus attached to the stool, the kind you would normally cough up, I put this down to the laxative I was taking. All this time I have felt fine. Other than stress levels being high !

I had my colonoscopy on the 20th of December. They put the camera all the way to my small colon, and my speacilist said “see no cancer” they started to work backwards, they found a small polyp, that looked harmless, my doctor commented “there’s a polyp” and he’s assistant didn’t notice it a first, when he did he didn’t say much, and they carried on as normal, didn’t take a biopsy of it or nothing, they carried on working down my colon. I was watching the whole time. My bowel prep was in adequate, and the couldn’t check the lining of my bowel properly. They quickly finished up. The nurse gave me a talk after and said my bowel prep was in adequate, but they had found nothing serious , but they did find internal hemmorohoid , I was to go back in two weeks for the biopsy results. The gave me a letter with a picture of my hemmorhoid and a picture of where my small colon starts, but no picture of the polyp !
For a week my bowel movements seemed normal, then they went back to constipation. I’ll being going in on Thursday to find out results of random biopsy. Sorry for the long post, I was just like to hear if anyone has had any similar experience ? My mind was put to rest when I was told they found nothing, and when my stool appeared regular for a few days I felt relieved, now it’s gone back to constipation with mucus again I’m scared

Thanks for reading !

My best wishes to everyone

Lee

Re: Regarding my colonoscopy outcome

Postby Lee » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:31 pm

Hi and welcome,

My first question would be, why did they not remove the polyp when they found it? When you get an answer, please let us know.

Did they say why your prep was inadequate? How did you prepare for your colonoscopy? Because it was inadequate, should you have another one in the near future?

How old are you? Does colon cancer run in your family?

When you go for your results, explain to Dr what your symptoms are. Does the Dr have any recommendation for your constipation?

I will tell you, your body does produce mucus to help move the BM along. I am wondering if increasing your fluid intake would help decrease your constipation. Just a thought, see what the Dr says.

Good luck, let us know,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

O Stoma Mia

Re: Regarding my colonoscopy outcome

Postby O Stoma Mia » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:50 am

If your colonoscopy prep was considered inadequate, then I would think that they will need to do another colonoscopy after you have had a good prep and good clean-out.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”