Polyp pathology! Help please

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Momof5

Polyp pathology! Help please

Postby Momof5 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:39 pm

I had a polyp removed in April 2014. My only symptom was minor intermittent blood streaking on hard stools. After 14 months of ignoring it I finally had a scope. I was one month shy of 27 years old.

The colonoscopy found a 10mm polyp on a very short stalk at the 15cm mark classifying it as my sigmoid colon. The polio was smooth and very round. I was told by my doctor it was most likely totally benign from gross appearance.

The pathology report is short and sweet. It says the polyp was actually 7mm, hyperplastic, no dysphasia, and focal mucosal ulceration with repair?

Even thought this was almost 4 years ago I still wonder about that pathology. I thought hyperplastic polyps were small and more sessile? And what does the ulcertaion with
repair mean?

I was told I do not need another colonoscopy for 10 years however I am very nervous to wait that long. I keep thinking pathology could have been wrong and classified it as hyperplastic but it was more serious?

Any insight?
30 year old mom of 5
mild rectal bleeding for 18 months
colonoscopy in April 2014 10mm polyp found in sigmoid otherwise normal colon
pathology showed benign hyperplastic polyp
No family history of CC

Pemba

Re: Polyp pathology! Help please

Postby Pemba » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:15 pm

No need to worry as I remember, hyperplastic polyps have don’t have a mass that can turn cancerous at all. hyperplastic polyps Can both be flat or mushroom type (like yours)

I would maybe get a colonoscopy around the 5 year mark because of your age, but otherwise 10 y are standard for that kind of polyps.

I also wonder sometimes, what if the report was wrong, but I guess we just really need to trust that people are doing their job properly, We can keep and extra eye on our stool and be on the lookout for symptoms.
2017: 15mm Tubulovillous adenoma- Low grade dysplasi.
Next scopy: original 2020 probably 2018-19

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:53 pm

FYI - hyperplastic polyps 'can' turn cancerous but the instance of it happening is extremely rare. As you can see from my signature, I have had rectal cancer and after my surgery, my scopes have found hyperplastic polyps on more than one occasion and my colorectal surgeon is NOT concerned. Regardless, the pathology showed nothing amiss so please instead of worrying about it......be thankful that that is the only thing that they found. Trust your pathology report.

My surgeon told me if I had ONLY had hyperplastic polyps (which, btw are not uncommon) it would not change the screening schedule....still 10 years. The fact that I had rectal cancer means that I will always have a 5 year scope schedule. If you are feeling anxious, talk to your surgeon or GI doc but with just one and only one polyp that was hyperplastic AND shown to not be of concern (as opposed to an adenomatous polyp which can and do turn into cancer), I would trust the doctor on this one.
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

Momof5

Postby Momof5 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:44 am

I appreciate the responses and feed back. I actually have an appt with a new Gastro doctor January 17. The gastro that did my colonoscopy in 2014 unfortunately passed away untimely a couple years ago. My appt is just a new paient intake and consultation but I will ask him is thoughts about the polyp. Thankfully I got all of my medical records and path report from the previous office to take with me so he will have all the information he needs. I even have pictures of my polyp!
30 year old mom of 5
No family history of CC

Momof5

Postby Momof5 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:57 am

Would anyone else have any insight to offer? I am still a little nervous.
30 year old mom of 5
No family history of CC

Momof5

Postby Momof5 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:03 am

Also I am really wondering what
" focal mucosal ulceration with repair" means on the pathology. I really wish that was explained to me because I can find NOTHING online about it.
30 year old mom of 5
No family history of CC

Pemba

Postby Pemba » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:56 pm

I’m sure the Gastro doctor on January 17. Can answer that :) i thing if it was anything to worry about they would say so.

My report had something similar, I asked and it was because it was bleeding, like yours. So it’s was just a fancier word for that blood in mucosal layers ish.
2017: 15mm Tubulovillous adenoma- Low grade dysplasi.
Next scopy: original 2020 probably 2018-19

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”