Feeling stressed....

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
User avatar
susie0915
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:17 am
Facebook Username: Susan DeGrazia Hostetter
Location: Michigan

Re: Feeling stressed....

Postby susie0915 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:11 am

I know how you are feeling. I have a chest scan Jan 10 to check a 4mm nodule in my lung that was unchanged on last scan. Even though my oncologist is certain it is not cancer, and has been stable, always get nervous when scan time comes. I'm trying to be positive this new year as I am feeling pretty good, and my pelvic/abdominal scan and bloodwork were good in November. I'm sure your colonoscopy will be excellent.
58 yrs old Dx @ 55
5/15 DX T3N0MO/ 2A
6/15 5 wks chemo/rad
7/15 sigmoidoscopy/scar tissue left
8/15 Pet scan NED
9/15 LAR
0/24 nodes
10/15 Bowel blockage. surgery,early ileo rev, c-diff inf :(
12/15 6 rds of xelox
5/16 Clear CT lung scarring/inflammation
9/16 clear colonoscopy
4/17 CT 4mm lung nod onc feels scar tissue
7/17 no change lung nodule
10/17 Clear pel/abd CT
11/17 CEA<.5
1/18 CT/Lung no change in 4mm nodule or scarring/inflammation

Thetoad
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:46 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Feeling stressed..

Postby Thetoad » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:23 pm

Hi Susie. Yes, waiting is very stressful but it looks like you will be fine. I'll be thinking about you. Hope you're not toooo cold! Maggie Neil, I did take half a Lorazapam and seem to be less worried so far today. My attitude seems to be what will happen will happen. Maybe I'm resigned to the fact that it's all beyond my control. Yes there is a missus but no children. She is stuck in a wheelchair and needs some looking after. But she's a great cook! So, I'll see what tomorrow brings. As you said, it will all be over this time next week! :shock:
Emergency extended right hemicolectomy November 2013.
Complete blockage, small perforation.
Stage 2a.
T3N0M0
22 Lymph nodes clear.
No bag.
All CEA tests, CT scans and follow up colonoscopy ok.
Now on yearly appts and 6 monthly CEA tests.
Large incisional hernia repaired with mesh Nov. 2014.
Cellulitus bottom of scar.
CEA 1.4 on 28/7/17
50 months since surgery! (Nov.13, 2013.)
27/5/17. Gallbladder removed, open surgery.
Pleasing consultation Feb. 2017
CEA 1.7 on 16/11/17
Clear colonoscopy Jan. 2018 :)

scared0304
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:56 pm

Re: Feeling stressed....

Postby scared0304 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:27 pm

Maggie Nell wrote:Image



I LOVE this Maggie Nell......I do have scanxiety, but I also have anxiety because of the wait leading up to the scan/test. Since my colonoscopy, I think about the fact that my doctor found a polyp daily and I don't want to wake up everyday thinking that I may develop colon cancer in the next three years.

I'm working on it, I actually started taking Prozac 5 days ago, can't say that I have noticed a difference in my anxiety but hoping that changes in the next couple of weeks. Thank you so much for all of your encouragement.....

scared0304
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:56 pm

Re: Feeling stress

Postby scared0304 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:29 pm

Thetoad wrote:Thanks Maggie Neil. Good of you to reply. My colonoscopy is next Tuesday pm. I'm already watching what I eat. I will see my nurse next month, 11 months after the last appt. I do have some Lorazapam tablets to shut me up, but driving is not advised. They are two years old but should work if I had to take one. They were originally for dentist appts so I didn't throw up because of nerves! Yes, 72 year old kiwis are allowed to have nerves I guess. I've spoken by ph to the nurses at the clinic. They are reassuring and joke about 'bum fun!' Yes, well .... I'll try some of your techniques. I can't do a Haka unfortunately. I don't really know why I'm stressing over this, the last one was fine. It might be that if this one is clear, I can expect the next 11 months to be ok too, until the magic 5 years is reached. It's the waiting and wishing it was all over probably. I know I'm not alone in this, but others I have talked to who've had the same thing sometimes just take it in their stride. As you said, the worst was over 4 years ago. And so far, I've been ok with all the tests. Happy New Year to you and everyone!


Good luck today, hoping you have a clear colonoscopy!

Thetoad
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:46 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Feeling stressed.

Postby Thetoad » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:01 pm

Thanks scared0304. It's this coming Tuesday, so a few more nervous days... Your polyp was pre cancerous and they removed it? So it's gone! I've read that they take about 10 years to become a problem. I'm the same as you, has something formed during the last three years? Highly unlikely they say. If they Do find something, it will be 'dealt with.' Keep in touch here, you're not alone! :)
Emergency extended right hemicolectomy November 2013.
Complete blockage, small perforation.
Stage 2a.
T3N0M0
22 Lymph nodes clear.
No bag.
All CEA tests, CT scans and follow up colonoscopy ok.
Now on yearly appts and 6 monthly CEA tests.
Large incisional hernia repaired with mesh Nov. 2014.
Cellulitus bottom of scar.
CEA 1.4 on 28/7/17
50 months since surgery! (Nov.13, 2013.)
27/5/17. Gallbladder removed, open surgery.
Pleasing consultation Feb. 2017
CEA 1.7 on 16/11/17
Clear colonoscopy Jan. 2018 :)

Thetoad
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:46 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Feeling stressed.

Postby Thetoad » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:47 am

Thetoad wrote:Thanks scared0304. It's this coming Tuesday, so a few more nervous days... Your polyp was pre cancerous and they removed it? So it's gone! I've read that they take about 10 years to become a problem. I'm the same as you, has something formed during the last three years? Highly unlikely they say. If they Do find something, it will be 'dealt with.' Keep in touch here, you're not alone! :)



Two more sleeps. The tablets I took a while ago seem to be working! I'm now worried about a dull ache which has recently developed in my lower abdomen. Maybe the change of diet, I've been on low residue for a week now. Or maybe the different bile supply now my gallbladder is out. I'm sure I'll get some answers on Tuesday pm. Good luck to all. I'll be back!
Emergency extended right hemicolectomy November 2013.
Complete blockage, small perforation.
Stage 2a.
T3N0M0
22 Lymph nodes clear.
No bag.
All CEA tests, CT scans and follow up colonoscopy ok.
Now on yearly appts and 6 monthly CEA tests.
Large incisional hernia repaired with mesh Nov. 2014.
Cellulitus bottom of scar.
CEA 1.4 on 28/7/17
50 months since surgery! (Nov.13, 2013.)
27/5/17. Gallbladder removed, open surgery.
Pleasing consultation Feb. 2017
CEA 1.7 on 16/11/17
Clear colonoscopy Jan. 2018 :)

User avatar
Maggie Nell
Posts: 698
Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 1:57 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Feeling stressed.

Postby Maggie Nell » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:18 am

Thetoad wrote:Two more sleeps. The tablets I took a while ago seem to be working! I'm now worried about a dull ache which has recently developed in my lower abdomen. Maybe the change of diet, I've been on low residue for a week now. Or maybe the different bile supply now my gallbladder is out. I'm sure I'll get some answers on Tuesday pm. Good luck to all. I'll be back!



One more sleep........what are you planning to wolf down afterwards? I would be up for a big plate of whitebait fritters, a dozen
tamarillos and a Caramello koala. Maybe two.
DX April 2015, @ 54
35mm poorly diff. tumour found upon emergency r. hemicolectomy
for ileo-colic intussusception.
Lymph nodes: 0/22
T3 N0 MX

Thetoad
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:46 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Feeling stressed.

Postby Thetoad » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:37 pm

Maggie Nell wrote:
Thetoad wrote:Two more sleeps. The tablets I took a while ago seem to be working! I'm now worried about a dull ache which has recently developed in my lower abdomen. Maybe the change of diet, I've been on low residue for a week now. Or maybe the different bile supply now my gallbladder is out. I'm sure I'll get some answers on Tuesday pm. Good luck to all. I'll be back!



One more sleep........what are you planning to wolf down afterwards? I would be up for a big plate of whitebait fritters, a dozen
tamarillos and a Caramello koala. Maybe two.


Still working on the menu. Bluff oysters wrapped by porterhouse steak comes to mind. Carpetbagger is it called? Last solid food by 10 am, then should lose a kg or two. Cheers!
Emergency extended right hemicolectomy November 2013.
Complete blockage, small perforation.
Stage 2a.
T3N0M0
22 Lymph nodes clear.
No bag.
All CEA tests, CT scans and follow up colonoscopy ok.
Now on yearly appts and 6 monthly CEA tests.
Large incisional hernia repaired with mesh Nov. 2014.
Cellulitus bottom of scar.
CEA 1.4 on 28/7/17
50 months since surgery! (Nov.13, 2013.)
27/5/17. Gallbladder removed, open surgery.
Pleasing consultation Feb. 2017
CEA 1.7 on 16/11/17
Clear colonoscopy Jan. 2018 :)

Thetoad
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:46 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Feeling stressed.

Postby Thetoad » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:48 pm

Thetoad wrote:
Maggie Nell wrote:
Thetoad wrote:Two more sleeps. The tablets I took a while ago seem to be working! I'm now worried about a dull ache which has recently developed in my lower abdomen. Maybe the change of diet, I've been on low residue for a week now. Or maybe the different bile supply now my gallbladder is out. I'm sure I'll get some answers on Tuesday pm. Good luck to all. I'll be back!



One more sleep........what are you planning to wolf down afterwards? I would be up for a big plate of whitebait fritters, a dozen
tamarillos and a Caramello koala. Maybe two.


Still working on the menu. Bluff oysters wrapped by porterhouse steak comes to mind. Carpetbagger is it called? Last solid food by 10 am, then should lose a kg or two. Cheers!


All over and all good. Thanks for the help and support. Good luck Susie!
Emergency extended right hemicolectomy November 2013.
Complete blockage, small perforation.
Stage 2a.
T3N0M0
22 Lymph nodes clear.
No bag.
All CEA tests, CT scans and follow up colonoscopy ok.
Now on yearly appts and 6 monthly CEA tests.
Large incisional hernia repaired with mesh Nov. 2014.
Cellulitus bottom of scar.
CEA 1.4 on 28/7/17
50 months since surgery! (Nov.13, 2013.)
27/5/17. Gallbladder removed, open surgery.
Pleasing consultation Feb. 2017
CEA 1.7 on 16/11/17
Clear colonoscopy Jan. 2018 :)

scared0304
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:56 pm

Re: Feeling stressed.

Postby scared0304 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:59 am

All over and all good. Thanks for the help and support. Good luck Susie![/quote]


How did it go, I assume when you say all good, they didn't find any polyps?

Thetoad
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:46 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Feeling stressed.

Postby Thetoad » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:53 pm

scared0304 wrote:All over and all good. Thanks for the help and support. Good luck Susie!



How did it go, I assume when you say all good, they didn't find any polyps?[/quote]

Hi. No polyps. All over very quickly. I was early and the one before me was late, so I took his place. Mild sedation and interesting to see my bowel on the screen, especially the join from surgery. No more planned. Feeling very relieved now. Eating lots after the starving. All the best to you!
Emergency extended right hemicolectomy November 2013.
Complete blockage, small perforation.
Stage 2a.
T3N0M0
22 Lymph nodes clear.
No bag.
All CEA tests, CT scans and follow up colonoscopy ok.
Now on yearly appts and 6 monthly CEA tests.
Large incisional hernia repaired with mesh Nov. 2014.
Cellulitus bottom of scar.
CEA 1.4 on 28/7/17
50 months since surgery! (Nov.13, 2013.)
27/5/17. Gallbladder removed, open surgery.
Pleasing consultation Feb. 2017
CEA 1.7 on 16/11/17
Clear colonoscopy Jan. 2018 :)

User avatar
susie0915
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:17 am
Facebook Username: Susan DeGrazia Hostetter
Location: Michigan

Re: Feeling stressed.

Postby susie0915 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:34 pm

Thetoad wrote:
scared0304 wrote:All over and all good. Thanks for the help and support. Good luck Susie!



How did it go, I assume when you say all good, they didn't find any polyps?


Hi. No polyps. All over very quickly. I was early and the one before me was late, so I took his place. Mild sedation and interesting to see my bowel on the screen, especially the join from surgery. No more planned. Feeling very relieved now. Eating lots after the starving. All the best to you![/quote]
Glad everything went well. I have my ct scan tomorrow, cross your fingers everything stayed the same or is shrinking. A little unsettled right now. I think I'll take a nice warm bath and try to relax.
58 yrs old Dx @ 55
5/15 DX T3N0MO/ 2A
6/15 5 wks chemo/rad
7/15 sigmoidoscopy/scar tissue left
8/15 Pet scan NED
9/15 LAR
0/24 nodes
10/15 Bowel blockage. surgery,early ileo rev, c-diff inf :(
12/15 6 rds of xelox
5/16 Clear CT lung scarring/inflammation
9/16 clear colonoscopy
4/17 CT 4mm lung nod onc feels scar tissue
7/17 no change lung nodule
10/17 Clear pel/abd CT
11/17 CEA<.5
1/18 CT/Lung no change in 4mm nodule or scarring/inflammation

Thetoad
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:46 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Feeling stressed.

Postby Thetoad » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:41 pm

susie0915 wrote:
Thetoad wrote:
scared0304 wrote:All over and all good. Thanks for the help and support. Good luck Susie!



How did it go, I assume when you say all good, they didn't find any polyps?


Hi. No polyps. All over very quickly. I was early and the one before me was late, so I took his place. Mild sedation and interesting to see my bowel on the screen, especially the join from surgery. No more planned. Feeling very relieved now. Eating lots after the starving. All the best to you!

Glad everything went well. I have my ct scan tomorrow, cross your fingers everything stayed the same or is shrinking. A little unsettled right now. I think I'll take a nice warm bath and try to relax.[/quote]


Looking forward to a positive report tomorrow!
Emergency extended right hemicolectomy November 2013.
Complete blockage, small perforation.
Stage 2a.
T3N0M0
22 Lymph nodes clear.
No bag.
All CEA tests, CT scans and follow up colonoscopy ok.
Now on yearly appts and 6 monthly CEA tests.
Large incisional hernia repaired with mesh Nov. 2014.
Cellulitus bottom of scar.
CEA 1.4 on 28/7/17
50 months since surgery! (Nov.13, 2013.)
27/5/17. Gallbladder removed, open surgery.
Pleasing consultation Feb. 2017
CEA 1.7 on 16/11/17
Clear colonoscopy Jan. 2018 :)

heiders33
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:08 am

Re: Feeling stressed....

Postby heiders33 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:14 pm

I hope it goes well, Susie!
35 year-old female
May 2017: Dx rectal cancer at T3N2M0
June-July 2017: 28 days of chemo/radiation
September 2017: LAR surgery with loop ileostomy
October 2017: started six rounds of mop-up XELOX

DarknessEmbraced
Posts: 2886
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:54 pm
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher
Location: New Brunswick, Canada

Re: Feeling stressed....

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:33 am

Thetoad: Wonderful news and I hope your ct scan goes well susie!*hugs*
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17


Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Atoq and 39 guests