Scared I have Stage IV Colon Cancer

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
bran_sun
Facebook Username: brandon.sunshine

Scared I have Stage IV Colon Cancer

Postby bran_sun » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:12 pm

Hello just to state I am a 23-year-old male. I went to a walk-in clinic for some stomach issues, particular pain on the left side, that came out of nowhere. He told me to go to ER and get a CT scan done. The hospital did a CT scan of my stomach with contrast, and found nothing admormal, except for a 4 mm nodule on my lower lung. I then proceeded to have a CT scan done of my chest and the found 2 other nodules of around the same size. Im still having diahrrea, with some slight dull pain in the lower left side of my stomach. What are the chances that it could be stage IV colon cancer? I have experienced no blood in my stool yet and i havent been losing much weight. Should I get a colonosopy done? Is this most likely metastasized from potential colon cancer? Any input would be appreciated. Many Thanks!

ScaredButGottaWin

Re: Scared I have Stage IV Colon Cancer

Postby ScaredButGottaWin » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:06 pm

Easy there. One step at a time. Deep breaths.
First off, I dont know. I’m not a doctor. I wouldn’t lose a ton of sleep over what could be nothing. But you should follow up with your doctor and be an advocate for yourself to get some tests done and a colonoscopy is easy. There are many steps between what you are talking about and stage IV colon cancer.

Relax, and be dilgent in following up. Good luck!
Colonoscopy Nov ‘17
Peritoneal Mets discovered Dec ‘17 (signet ring cell)
FOLFOXIRI - Jan'18-April '18
HIPEC May '18 (NED!)
FOLFIRI June '18-April '19
Recurrence Jan '20 - peritoneal cavity

bran_sun
Facebook Username: brandon.sunshine

Postby bran_sun » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:14 pm

ScaredButGottaWin wrote:Easy there. One step at a time. Deep breaths.
First off, I dont know. I’m not a doctor. I wouldn’t lose a ton of sleep over what could be nothing. But you should follow up with your doctor and be an advocate for yourself to get some tests done and a colonoscopy is easy. There are many steps between what you are talking about and stage IV colon cancer.

Relax, and be dilgent in following up. Good luck!

Would you suggest getting a colonoscopy even at my age? I know that there can be negative side effects when it comes to a colonoscopy, but they are very rare. I am trying to avoid getting one, as I am about to be traveling fairly soon, and I do not want to have to wait on my insurance company to approve the colonoscopy and prepare for the actual procedure itself. It will interfere with my travel plans. I understand that you are not a doctor, what do you think I should do though?

Lee

Postby Lee » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:16 pm

If the pain continues, yes it probably would be a good idea. Does colon cancer run in your family? Personally I don't think you have colon cancer. Maybe IBS or Crohn's disease. A colonoscopy will give you a true diagnoses if anything is going on. Anything else is just a speculation.

Regarding nodules in your lung, many things can cause this. Again, I don't think you have cancer, butt is always wise to follow up. I suspect with your nodules they will put you on watch and wait protocol.

If they determine that you do indeed have cancer (butt I don't think so), they could do a PET scan for possible cancer activity (in you lungs). But please try not to worry. For what it's worth, I had no pain. Yet years earlier, my mother ended up in the hospital with serious stomach pain and rectal bleeding. Colonoscopy confirmed she had a bad case of diverticulitis. No cancer.

Again try not to worry.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Lee

Postby Lee » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:43 pm

bran_sun wrote: . . . Would you suggest getting a colonoscopy even at my age? I know that there can be negative side effects when it comes to a colonoscopy, but they are very rare. . .

It's your life, what do you want to do with it? If you are comfortable not doing a scope, don't worry about it. I knew a child who got scoped at age 5, was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. If you want to wait until after your travel plans, do that. In my town, Phoenix, scopes are scheduled 3-4 month out.

Negative side effect are far and few. I've had many scopes over the past 14 yrs, yet to have a problem.

Hope this helps,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

ScaredButGottaWin

Postby ScaredButGottaWin » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:57 pm

Talk to your primary care doctor about it. The risks of a colonoscopy are low, but you will not get a diagnosis without one. I dont know anything about lung nodules, but it is worth talking to your doctor about.

Try to relax and take it one step at a time. Freaking out will not help (which I have learned the hard way).
Colonoscopy Nov ‘17
Peritoneal Mets discovered Dec ‘17 (signet ring cell)
FOLFOXIRI - Jan'18-April '18
HIPEC May '18 (NED!)
FOLFIRI June '18-April '19
Recurrence Jan '20 - peritoneal cavity

pantufla
Facebook Username: kelleykulina

Postby pantufla » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:39 pm

In addition to the above, I have been told lung nodules are quite common. You're probably fine.
DH T2 N1b M0. 3/15 positive nodes.
Stage IIIA moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma.
Tumor size 6 cm.
Left hemicolectomy 10/26/15.
FOLFOX 11/30/15 to 5/2/16, full 12 cycles.
10/3/16 CT scan clear.
11/10/17 CT: "Focal opacity along the left lower lung, 7 mm. Two small peripheral opacities along the right lower lobe, 2 to 3 mm. A few small to mildly prominent left-sided central mesenteric nodes, up to 13 mm.
June 2019: NED.
2020: NED 5 years. 4 mm lung nodule on CT

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”