Bathroom Issues Post Surgery

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
outdoors30328

Bathroom Issues Post Surgery

Postby outdoors30328 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:40 pm

Hi all. I'm brand new to this forum and have never posted anything before. I've got Colon / Rectal Cancer Stage IIIc. I was diagnosed March 2017. I was scheduled for 24 sessions of Folfox. I got to about 22 and then my blood work numbers went down so they stopped it. It worked very well though and the Tumor shrunk dramatically. About 6 weeks after the chemo finished, I had my rectosigmoid resection surgery in early November which went well. All my lymph nodes came back clear which was great except they had one area where they weren't sure if they got good margins. As such, they are recommending radiation just to be safe which I'll start in January. I'm feeling great with one exception. I can't stay out of the bathroom. I'm literally going like 15 times a day which makes my quality of life poor since I'm afraid to go out without wearing a Depends or something like that. I think part of this has to do with the location of the tumor and the surgeon taking out the rectosigmoid region which as I understand it is your "storage" area. My question for the group is does anyone have a similar experience and how long does it take to get back to having normal bowl movements where you only go once a day? Is there anything. you did special to help the process along? I realize radiation messes up the timetable but really focused on more long term. Just looking for some hope that it does get better. Thanks!

ozziej

Re: Bathroom Issues Post Surgery

Postby ozziej » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:52 am

Hi, sorry you have to be here. The bad news is that between 60 and 90% of people who have a rectal resection have ongoing bowel issues, most commonly known as Low Anterior Resection Syndrome (LARS ). The good news is that it is still too early to tell if your issues will be ongoing. Frequency (going multiple times per day) and clustering (going less than 15 minutes after your previous bowel motion) are extremely common in the early days after a low or ultra low resection. However, most people find that things gradually improve. It can take up to 2 years for things to settle, but realistically most people never return to a 'normal' one time a day. There is a Facebook group for people living with LARS. You will be made most welcome and can receive support and advice. It is important to remember that it is a marathon not a sprint. Best wishes.
F 56 dx 11/14 Stage 1 RC (post EMR)
No neo-adjuvant or adjuvant chemo/RD
3/15 ULAR (open) temp loop ileo
5/15 ileo reversal
NED and hoping to stay that way!! : )

O Stoma Mia

Low Anterior Resection Syndrome LARS

Postby O Stoma Mia » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:49 am

outdoors30328 wrote:... Is there anything. you did special to help the process along? ...

http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/documents/digestivedisease/files/LowAnteriorResectionSyndr.pdf

https://livingwithlars.com/
Last edited by O Stoma Mia on Sun May 05, 2019 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KathyLynn

Re: Bathroom Issues Post Surgery

Postby KathyLynn » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:24 am

I’m 4 weeks post surgery. I’m taking Metamucil (4 pills a day). Since surgery
About 2 weeks ago I have been dealing with the cluster problem. Bathroom every 30 minutes, most the day
For 2 to 3 days at a time. No diarrhea just small amount at a time
So, 2 weeks ago when it started, I would take one dulcolax at night
I get up in the morning, take “care of business” and I’m good! No issues. I just take 1 dulcolax a week
I’ve done this for two weeks and so far so good!
My fingers are crossed

Hope this helps!

KathyLynn
8/2017. RC
11/27/2017. Robotic LAR. No chemo/rad
12/2017 Moderatley differentiated, 3.0 cm in greatest dimension
Macroscopic tumor perf: not identified. All margins of resection and proximal neg for tumor.
Lymphovascular and perineural invasion: not identified.
1/13/2018. T2N0M0 with isolated tumor cell (ITC)
7/2018. CEA 2.0. 10/18: 2.0. 1/19: 2.3 11/19. 2.1
11/19 CT NED
06/21 CT NED CEA 1.3

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”