Recovery: hemicolectomy vs ESD

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
cattas

Recovery: hemicolectomy vs ESD

Postby cattas » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:58 pm

Hi All thanks for this forum!

I have 28 mm sessile polyp in ascending colon near the appendix so not amenable to standard endoscopic resecton; no family history of colon cancer. I've gotten recommendations to do 1) partial colectomy; 2) right hemicolectomy; 3) endoscopic submucosal dissection. Very confusing to say the least! I'm concerned about recovery time (in between jobs) and potential long-term complications on eating habits (I'm vegetarian!) after colectomy and am leaning towards ESD as a first step. Can people give me an indication of their recovery time/experience after ESD procedure?

Thanks very much, happy holidays and great new year to all.

CRguy

Re: Recovery: hemicolectomy vs ESD

Postby CRguy » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:47 pm

Welcome to the forum

here is a search for endoscopic submucosal dissection which may give you a bit more info.

best wishes
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Utwo

Postby Utwo » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:55 am

I just heard about ESD, however I assume that it should be similar to other types of endoscopic surgery.

In this case you may expect:
- one lost day in case of endoscopic surgery
- one lost week in case of laparoscopic hemicolectomy (I was back to office in five weeks because of some complications)
- two lost weeks in case of open hemicolectomy without any complication.

Anyway, after colonoscopic surgery, depending on your histology report/"T" score, they may recommend a hemicolectomy as well.
58 yo male at diagnosis: T1bN0M0, 0/15 nodes, low grade/moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma
03/2016 colonoscopy: 2 small polyps removed in left colon; CEA = 1.3
04/2016 colonoscopy: caecum sessile 3.5 cm polyp piecemeal removed with kind of clear margins
05/2016 "prophylactic" laparoscopic right hemicolectomy - bleeding, leak, infection
06/2017 CT scan, colonoscopy OK; CEA = 1.6
A lot of funny stuff discovered by CT scans in liver, kidney, lungs, arteries, gallbladder, lymph node, pancreas

mcac15
Facebook Username: mcac15

Postby mcac15 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:02 am

cattas wrote:Hi All thanks for this forum!

I have 28 mm sessile polyp in ascending colon near the appendix so not amenable to standard endoscopic resecton; no family history of colon cancer. I've gotten recommendations to do 1) partial colectomy; 2) right hemicolectomy; 3) endoscopic submucosal dissection. Very confusing to say the least! I'm concerned about recovery time (in between jobs) and potential long-term complications on eating habits (I'm vegetarian!) after colectomy and am leaning towards ESD as a first step. Can people give me an indication of their recovery time/experience after ESD procedure?

Thanks very much, happy holidays and great new year to all.

What did you end up doing? I’m in a similar situation except the 2 surgeons I saw recommend Right Hemi. Even though unlikely to be malignant they don’t want to take any chances and have to go back in to reoperate.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”