Worried about effects after surgery - Help

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
worriedwifey

Worried about effects after surgery - Help

Postby worriedwifey » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:55 pm

Hi -
I am new here. My husband had a large tumor removed last year after it was discovered during a colonoscopy. The tumor was low in the rectum (4-5cm from the verge?) and large about 4cm. The biopsy showed it was positive for cancer. The surgeon said the margins were clear following the operation.

He went back for his annual colonoscopy in Oct and the biopsy came back positive for rectal cancer. They think it is T1, but without any lymph nodes are concerned that may be upstaged (especially since it has recurred). We have been so upset and worried the past several months. We have Kaiser, but have gotten other opinions as well. The doctors want to do a APR surgery, which will probably leave him with a permanent colonoscopy. He is worried about this surgery. I am too. He is especially worried about our sex life after surgery. I am just really worried about him. I am wondering if any of you can help us with your experiences??? He is only 45. :cry:

NHMike

Re: Worried about effects after surgery - Help

Postby NHMike » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:25 pm

I'm sorry that you've had to go through this. Cancer is often very tough on the spouse.

My situation was close to his for the surgery: 5 cm tumor, 5 cm from AV and margins clear after the operation. BTW, did he have an LAR surgery?

Did all of the doctors (Kaiser and the second opinions) recommend the APR? If you have recommendations for it from a top cancer hospital, then he may have his answer.

The most important thing is short-term survival and then long-term survival. Once you have those, then you can think about bargaining for functionality. That's where I am today. I'd like to avoid permanent neuropathy from Adjuvant Chemo but am doing it anyways with all of the horrible potential side-effects. One factor after my surgery is that I've basically had a functional vasectomy. Everything works except getting sperm from the prostate to where it's supposed to go. The problem is described at https://www.uoaa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26184 and it appears that there are many others with this. We're old enough so that kids aren't possible anyways. The surgeon did tell me that ED was a risk from surgery.

I have an temporary ileostomy and it has been somewhat of a learning experience dealing with it. There are some advantages to it (you can go to the bathroom anytime you want and not have to wait for stuff to come out) but there are a bunch of things to learn. I would imagine that the same is true with a Colostomy. There are lots of folks with them where they are discussed more often and in more detail on Ostomy-focused forums like https://www.uoaa.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=2 and https://www.meetanostomate.org/phpBB2/index.php so that may be a place to look.

I'm sure that you know what a roller coaster of an emotional ride it is as a caregiver. The person with cancer also goes through this but the worries are different. First you bargain for your life and then you bargain to not lose anything and it's a big blow when you lose something permanently. So the person with cancer has to come to terms the potential reality of losing something that they've always had.

A few things that are commonly suggested here:
- Get a board-certified colorectal surgeon at a high-volume center
- Get a genomic tumor analysis if your insurance covers it so that you know exactly what gene mutation he has
- Read up on life with a colostomy and get opinions from people that have one to see how manageable it might be for him
6/17: ER rectal bleeding; Colonoscopy
7/17: 3B rectal. T3N1bM0. 5.2 4.5 4.3 cm. Lymphs: 6 x 4 mm, 8 x 6, 5 x 5
7/17-9/17: Xeloda radiation
7/5: CEA 2.7; 8/16: 1.9; 11/30: 0.6; 12/20 1.4; 1/10 1.8; 1/31 2.2; 2/28 2.6; 4/10 2.8; 5/1 2.8; 5/29 3.2; 7/13 4.5; 8/9 2.8, 2/12 1.2
MSS, KRAS G12D
10/17: 2.7 2.2 1.6 cm (-90%). Lymphs: 3 x 3 mm (-62.5%), 4 x 3 (-75%), 5 x 3 (-40%). 5.1 CM from AV
10/17: LAR, Temp Ileostomy, Path Complete Response
CapeOx (8) 12/17-6/18
7/18: Reversal, Port Removal
2/19: Clean CT

tellmesomethinggood
Facebook Username: chad.shelton

Postby tellmesomethinggood » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:53 pm

Hubby here. To answer your question I had an LAR in 2016. Kaiser said I was clean but turns out the pathology was wrong and I was never clean!

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:35 am

Hi and welcome. I have a permanent colostomy, have had it for almost 14 yrs now. For me, it gave me my life back. Does your husband have rectal cancer (vs colon cancer). Have his Dr.(s) talked about radiation?

This was many years ago, butt radiation destroyed 2/3 of my rectal muscles, thus I was tied to the toilet for hours any time I ate. Getting the bag gave me my life back. It does not hold me back. I play in the ocean, go horse backing. Can be out all day and not worry about where the nearest bathroom is or how certain food s will effect my bowels. I carry a few bags with me and change when I need to. The point is I'm in charge, not my bowels.

If possible, have your DH visit with an Ostomy nurse. They will be happy to answers any and all questions. There is a learning curve in the beginning, butt quite soon, it just a part of your life. Some people irrigate on a daily bases and just keep a band aid over the stoma for the remainder of the day.

Do talk to an Ostomy nurse.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”