Call on Congress (UPDATE)

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
O Stoma Mia

Call on Congress (UPDATE)

Postby O Stoma Mia » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:38 pm

"Call on Congress, March 18-20, 2018"
https://fightcolorectalcancer.org/advocacy/campaigns/call-congress/

"Call on Congress 2018" -- Registration Form
Registration closes February 15 or when capacity has been reached. Deadline for booking hotel rooms is February 16

https://give.fightcrc.org/washington/events/call-congress-2018/e140770
Note: This is a very popular event, and the places fill up very quickly. Last year, registrations closed on December 31 -- a month and a half before the official deadline -- because they had already reached full capacity.
    LAST YEAR Update 1/1/17: Call-on Congress is sold out! If you would like to be notified on a first come, first served basis if spots become available, please register for our waitlist.
Last edited by O Stoma Mia on Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:43 am, edited 6 times in total.

CRguy

Re: Call on Congress 2018 -- Registration open

Postby CRguy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:29 pm

Thanks for the post OSM
We'll make this a sticky for a while

CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Shana

Postby Shana » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:45 am

Is this for NED survivors only or is it open to those of us undergoing treatment but able to travel and participate?

I would love to be come more involved and proactive if possible :D
DX - 12/16
MSS - KRAS wild
Well-differentiated adenocarcinoma at splenic flexure
Stage IV CC with liver mets
5FU - Failed twice - 1/17 and 3/17
Irinotecan + Cetuximab: 8/17
Irinotecan and Erbitux ran it's course. CEA rising
Primary tumor invaded tail of pancreas and spleen. Liver mets major concern
Y-90 radioembolization on 9/17/18, liver enzyymes have dropped. 10 Radiation treatments to primary tumor completed too. CT scan Nov to assess overall situation...

O Stoma Mia

Postby O Stoma Mia » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:54 am

Shana wrote:Is this for NED survivors only or is it open to those of us undergoing treatment but able to travel and participate?

I'm sure you would be able to register with no problem. As I understand it, the event is for anyone in the US or Canada who wants to participate and who supports the mission statement of FightCRC.org.

To get more precise details, however, you would probably have to talk to someone who has been there recently.

For reference, here is an old 2014 post summarizing what participation was like a few years ago. (Call on Congress is now in its 12th year).
    On October 10th, 2014, NWgirl wrote:Julie - that would be so awesome if you and Pete and Kathy and her husband were all there! Let me try to explain what we do over the course of the few days we're there.

Day 1 - Registration/training. All the training this year is at the ASCO Building (American Society of Clinical Oncology) in Alexandria, VA - a suburb of Washington D.C. and very close to Regan Intl. Airport. The first day is training. "Training" covers a lot of different areas. What our "asks" are of Congress, how to participate in your meeting with your Senators/Representatives, a little about how Congress works, what it takes to get legislation passed, that sort of thing. We also generally have training sessions that talk about what's involved in "scientific research" - what the scientists do, how they get their funding, what the funding goes to. Sometimes we have a scientist talk about areas of research that they're working on as it pertains to CRC. We learn about different programs within the federal government that provide funding for research, awareness, education, etc. We sometimes have a legislator and/or a legislative aide come talk to us about how things work, how to be most effective, that sort of thing. So figure a day and a half go towards training. This year, for the first time, we're focusing the first hour plus on folks who are there for the first time - so we can cover some of the basics and try to gently introduce them to things - so they feel less overwhelmed.

Lunch the first day (this year) will be provided to those who want it in the form of a sack lunch. Training for everyone begins just around noon - or a little thereafter; but for newbie's it will start earlier - so lunch will be provided to those who want it. The first day we have dinner together and it's pretty informal - they sometimes have a presentation of some sort that evening; other times the leave it open so advocates can mingle and get to know each other. The second day of training lunch is also provided for everyone - a buffet this time and of course dinner again the second day. Now that I think about it, they may have dinner on your own for one of those nights so people can go where they want and hang out more informally.

There will be two hotels with special room rates this year - The Westin and The Residence Inn; both a short walk from ASCO. For those who want to hang out in the bar/lounge afterwards, there's always a lot of socializing going on there.

The third day - after our day and a half of training, we all meet in the hotel lobby for a bagged breakfast and then board a bus (not a school bus, but a nice luxury bus) to head to The Hill. At the Hill we all get together on the steps of the Capital for a group photo. Throughout the event there is a professional photographer taking pics, so don't be shy! After that, we break out by state and attend the meetings with our Senators and Representative. These meetings have been arranged for us in advance - we have a schedule of our meetings and a map of The Hill showing where each meeting is located. Frequently you end up meeting with a Legislative Aide - but that's not a bad thing! The Aides tend to have a lot more time to sit and talk with us and you will meet with an Aide that specializes in Healthcare; so don't think for a minute your time is being wasted. These folks know what they're doing - and they have the ear of our Legislators. We also have "drop off" packets for the Representatives in our respective State that we don't have scheduled meetings with. You can either just drop these off in their offices, or you can ask if there is someone there to talk to you - and you can have another meeting. This is at the advocates discretion based on how much time/energy they have. Lunch on The Hill is on your own - there are cafeteria's (with decent food) in all of the legislative buildings. After all your meetings are finished on The Hill, you take the Metro back to your hotel in Alexandria - take a quick rest - and get ready for the celebration dinner!

The celebration dinner is held at a location near to the hotels if possible - if not a shuttle is provided to/from the location. We have dinner, usually an open bar for beer/wine and a dance floor with music. Before the dancing gets started there is some sort of a presentation that covers some highlights from our time there together, a moment of silence for those we have lost, some awards given, that sort of thing. The rest of the evening is just a big, crazy celebration. Last year we had a photo booth with some silly "blue" props, which was fun.

I remember the first year I attended Call on Congress and walking into the training room after I had registered. Everyone was hugging and greeting each other. I thought "okay - kind of weird - but whatever". A few people asked if I'd attended before and reached out to me to introduce themselves. I knew virtually no one there except Gaelen, who I'd met on-line here at The Colon Club and had always wanted to meet. Well, by the end of our 3 days together, I felt like these folks were family. I literally cried at the end of the celebration dinner. It's an extremely emotional, powerful event to be a part of. Being surrounded by close to 100 other people who are going through what you have/are going through - that in itself bonds you together.

That said, it's not for everyone. I have met people who said "yeah, it was fun, but not something I'll do again" - so to each his own. For me, I love it. I can't really understand why someone in our shoes WOULDN'T love it - but again, to each his own.

I feel like this response is a little scattered and I know my words can't begin to do this event justice. The folks at Fight Colorectal Cancer really CARE about the advocates who attend this event. They WANT very much to do a good job - to educate people - but do it in a way that is interesting and fun and brings them together to fight for a common cause.

So Julie - if you have any questions I can help with or clarify - please let me know. I very much want to attend next March, but realistically, I have to see what happens with my health these next 6 months. I truly have no idea what shape I'll be in come March. I know Gaelen attended her last Call on Congress 3 months before she passed away. She wasn't doing the Congo Line with us on the dance floor that year, but she made it. I'd like to think I'll be able to do the same. I'd love to meet you and Pete.
    Ref: http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48214&p=363102#p364349

Last edited by O Stoma Mia on Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shana

Postby Shana » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:04 am

O Stoma Mia wrote:
Shana wrote:Is this for NED survivors only or is it open to those of us undergoing treatment but able to travel and participate?

I'm sure you would be able to register with no problem. As I understand it, the event is for anyone in the US or Canada who wants to participate and who supports the mission statement of FightCRC.org.

To get more precise details, however, you would probably have to talk to someone who has been there recently.

For reference, here is an old 2014 post summarizing what participation was like a few years ago. (Call on Congress is now in its 12th year).
    On October 10th, 2014, NWgirl wrote:Julie - that would be so awesome if you and Pete and Kathy and her husband were all there! Let me try to explain what we do over the course of the few days we're there.

Day 1 - Registration/training. All the training this year is at the ASCO Building (American Society of Clinical Oncology) in Alexandria, VA - a suburb of Washington D.C. and very close to Regan Intl. Airport. The first day is training. "Training" covers a lot of different areas. What our "asks" are of Congress, how to participate in your meeting with your Senators/Representatives, a little about how Congress works, what it takes to get legislation passed, that sort of thing. We also generally have training sessions that talk about what's involved in "scientific research" - what the scientists do, how they get their funding, what the funding goes to. Sometimes we have a scientist talk about areas of research that they're working on as it pertains to CRC. We learn about different programs within the federal government that provide funding for research, awareness, education, etc. We sometimes have a legislator and/or a legislative aide come talk to us about how things work, how to be most effective, that sort of thing. So figure a day and a half go towards training. This year, for the first time, we're focusing the first hour plus on folks who are there for the first time - so we can cover some of the basics and try to gently introduce them to things - so they feel less overwhelmed.

Lunch the first day (this year) will be provided to those who want it in the form of a sack lunch. Training for everyone begins just around noon - or a little thereafter; but for newbie's it will start earlier - so lunch will be provided to those who want it. The first day we have dinner together and it's pretty informal - they sometimes have a presentation of some sort that evening; other times the leave it open so advocates can mingle and get to know each other. The second day of training lunch is also provided for everyone - a buffet this time and of course dinner again the second day. Now that I think about it, they may have dinner on your own for one of those nights so people can go where they want and hang out more informally.

There will be two hotels with special room rates this year - The Westin and The Residence Inn; both a short walk from ASCO. For those who want to hang out in the bar/lounge afterwards, there's always a lot of socializing going on there.

The third day - after our day and a half of training, we all meet in the hotel lobby for a bagged breakfast and then board a bus (not a school bus, but a nice luxury bus) to head to The Hill. At the Hill we all get together on the steps of the Capital for a group photo. Throughout the event there is a professional photographer taking pics, so don't be shy! After that, we break out by state and attend the meetings with our Senators and Representative. These meetings have been arranged for us in advance - we have a schedule of our meetings and a map of The Hill showing where each meeting is located. Frequently you end up meeting with a Legislative Aide - but that's not a bad thing! The Aides tend to have a lot more time to sit and talk with us and you will meet with an Aide that specializes in Healthcare; so don't think for a minute your time is being wasted. These folks know what they're doing - and they have the ear of our Legislators. We also have "drop off" packets for the Representatives in our respective State that we don't have scheduled meetings with. You can either just drop these off in their offices, or you can ask if there is someone there to talk to you - and you can have another meeting. This is at the advocates discretion based on how much time/energy they have. Lunch on The Hill is on your own - there are cafeteria's (with decent food) in all of the legislative buildings. After all your meetings are finished on The Hill, you take the Metro back to your hotel in Alexandria - take a quick rest - and get ready for the celebration dinner!

The celebration dinner is held at a location near to the hotels if possible - if not a shuttle is provided to/from the location. We have dinner, usually an open bar for beer/wine and a dance floor with music. Before the dancing gets started there is some sort of a presentation that covers some highlights from our time there together, a moment of silence for those we have lost, some awards given, that sort of thing. The rest of the evening is just a big, crazy celebration. Last year we had a photo booth with some silly "blue" props, which was fun.

I remember the first year I attended Call on Congress and walking into the training room after I had registered. Everyone was hugging and greeting each other. I thought "okay - kind of weird - but whatever". A few people asked if I'd attended before and reached out to me to introduce themselves. I knew virtually no one there except Gaelen, who I'd met on-line here at The Colon Club and had always wanted to meet. Well, by the end of our 3 days together, I felt like these folks were family. I literally cried at the end of the celebration dinner. It's an extremely emotional, powerful event to be a part of. Being surrounded by close to 100 other people who are going through what you have/are going through - that in itself bonds you together.

That said, it's not for everyone. I have met people who said "yeah, it was fun, but not something I'll do again" - so to each his own. For me, I love it. I can't really understand why someone in our shoes WOULDN'T love it - but again, to each his own.

I feel like this response is a little scattered and I know my words can't begin to do this event justice. The folks at Fight Colorectal Cancer really CARE about the advocates who attend this event. They WANT very much to do a good job - to educate people - but do it in a way that is interesting and fun and brings them together to fight for a common cause.

So Julie - if you have any questions I can help with or clarify - please let me know. I very much want to attend next March, but realistically, I have to see what happens with my health these next 6 months. I truly have no idea what shape I'll be in come March. I know Gaelen attended her last Call on Congress 3 months before she passed away. She wasn't doing the Congo Line with us on the dance floor that year, but she made it. I'd like to think I'll be able to do the same. I'd love to meet you and Pete.
    Ref: http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48214&p=363102#p364349

Thank you so much Mia for sharing this with me, I would really like to go and think I should be okay based on my most recent scan and stability. I haven't flown for over a year since diagnosis and with my 6 month old ostomy so I'll need to think about the best way to deal with that since it's a 5 hour flight but where there's a will there's a way!

If anyone from this forum is planning on going please let me know, I would love to meet others! :)

Shana
DX - 12/16
MSS - KRAS wild
Y-90 radioembolization on 9/17/18, liver enzyymes have dropped. 10 Radiation treatments to primary tumor completed too. CT scan Nov to assess overall situation...

O Stoma Mia

Postby O Stoma Mia » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:36 am

Shana wrote:... If anyone from this forum is planning on going please let me know, I would love to meet others! :)
Shana

In your post above, you have requested Forum members to let you know if they are planning to go to Call On Congress. The answer to this is a little complicated, but I'll try to explain:

Yes, there are many, many Forum members who are signing up to go to Call on Congress 2018, but most of them will not see your message and therefore will not be letting you know. This does not mean that they wouldn't be delighted to meet you, or that they don't care if you meet others. What it probably means is that they are far too busy with other things right now than to check all the new posts on this message board every day.

I'll give you a few examples. If you click on the button to register for Call on Congress, you will see a list of names displayed on the lower right-hand side, under the map. This is a subset of persons who have already submitted their reservations. So far I have noticed a few Colon Club members there:

One of them -- a 2012 Colondar Model -- has already registered along with his wife. Since 2012 he has founded his own advocacy organization with its own website, but he doesn't come here to Colon Talk much anymore even though this is where he started. He's far too busy these days with all of his other work -- but not too busy to take time off to go to Washington D.C. for 3 days in March. He'll probably not see your post and probably will not reply.

There's another one I noticed earlier -- a 2009 Colondar Model, who is now 10 years past DX. She's very much into advocacy these days and I don't think she has missed Call on Congress since the year she first found out about it. But she only comes to ColonTalk every couple months or so these days. In 2010 she was afraid of Facebook but registered there anyway. Now she has expanded to Twitter and Instagram and does a ton of posts on behalf of Colon Club from those three accounts-- but not from ColonTalk. It is probably very unlikely that she will see your post and reply to it. However, she is probably one of the persons you would most want to meet once you're there in Washington D.C. She could introduce you to all sorts of persons from Colon Club, since there are many Colondar Model alumni and other Colon Clubbers who meet up at the Call on Congress event each year.

Since you might want to make contact with this Club member, I'll give you links to a few news items that have been published about her:
And there are others., and others , and others, and others

The list of registered Colon Club members is getting longer and longer each day...
Last edited by O Stoma Mia on Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shana

Postby Shana » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:05 pm

O Stoma Mia wrote:
Shana wrote:... If anyone from this forum is planning on going please let me know, I would love to meet others! :)
Shana

In your post above, you have requested Forum members to let you know if they are planning to go to Call On Congress. The answer to this is a little complicated, but I'll try to explain:

Yes, there are many, many Forum members who are signing up to go to Call on Congress 2018, but most of them will not see your message and therefore will not be letting you know. This does not mean that they wouldn't be delighted to meet you, or that they don't care if you meet others. What it probably means is that they are far too busy with other things right now than to check all the new posts on this message board every day.

I'll give you a few examples. If you click on the button to register for Call on Congress, you will see a list of names displayed on the lower right-hand side, under the map. This is a subset of persons who have already submitted their reservations. So far I have noticed a few Colon Club members there:

One of them -- a 2012 Colondar Model -- has already registered along with his wife. Since 2010 he has founded his own advocacy organization with its own website, but he doesn't come here to Colon Talk much anymore even though this is where he started. He's far too busy these days with all of his other work -- but not too busy to take time off to go to Washington D.C. for 3 days in March. He'll probably not see your post and probably will not reply.

There's another one I noticed earlier -- a 2009 Colondar Model, who is now 10 years past DX. She's very much into advocacy these days and I don't think she has missed Call on Congress since the year she first found out about it. But she only comes to ColonTalk every couple months or so these days. In 2010 she was afraid of Facebook but registered there anyway. Now she has expanded to Twitter and Instagram and does a ton of posts on behalf of Colon Club from those three accounts-- but not from ColonTalk. It is probably very unlikely that she will see your post and reply to it. However, she is probably one of the persons you would most want to meet once you're there in Washington D.C. She could introduce you to all sorts of persons from Colon Club, since there are many Colondar Model alumni and other Colon Clubbers who meet up at the Call on Congress event each year.

Since you might want to make contact with this Club member, I'll give you links to a few news items that have been published about her:
And there are others., and others , and others, and others

The list of registered Colon Club members is getting longer and longer each day...

Wow Mia!

I see what you mean by complicated but it makes sense now. This information is very helpful. I definitely want to go, just need to discuss with my oncologist. Once I get the okay then I will sign up and start making travel plans. Thank you for the links above and suggestions for members to contact.
DX - 12/16
MSS - KRAS wild

O Stoma Mia

Postby O Stoma Mia » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:39 pm

Shana wrote:... I definitely want to go, just need to discuss with my oncologist. Once I get the okay then I will sign up and start making travel plans. Thank you for the links above and suggestions for members to contact.

Another member you could contact is Leighann Sturgin, who is a former Colondar Model and now Blog Manager at Colon Club. Her name is now on the registration list for the 2018 Call on Congress event, and her login ID here at ColonTalk is Leighann. She may be able to give you some tips on traveling while on treatment.

Also, you might want to contact Phuong -- a former Colondar Model and now Board Member at Colon Club. I haven't seen her name on the registration list yet, but she might be registering later on. I expect that she will be there to introduce the 12 new Colondar Models for 2018.
Last edited by O Stoma Mia on Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shana

Postby Shana » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:41 pm

O Stoma Mia wrote:
Shana wrote:... I definitely want to go, just need to discuss with my oncologist. Once I get the okay then I will sign up and start making travel plans. Thank you for the links above and suggestions for members to contact.

Another member you could contact is Leighann Sturgin, who is a former Colondar Model and now Blog Manager at Colon Club. Her name is now on the registration list for the 2018 Call on Congress event, and her login ID here at ColonTalk is nobuttgirl. She may be able to give you some tips on traveling while on treatment.

Also, you might want to contact Phuong -- a former Colondar Model and now Board Member at Colon Club. I haven't seen her name on the registration list yet, but she might be registering later on. I expect that she will be there to introduce the 12 new Colondar Models for 2018.

Your help has been invaluable, thank you so much! I just registered myself and a friend who I will meet up with in D.C. I will definitely contact the members who you have suggested as well as Phuong. I am receiving treatment at Marin Cancer Center too and her story was very encouraging!
DX - 12/16
MSS - KRAS wild

O Stoma Mia

Postby O Stoma Mia » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:53 am

Here are the 2018 Colondar Models. Several of them have already registered for the Call on Congress event, so if you are attending the event you will probably be seeing them there after you arrive.

Shana

Postby Shana » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:27 am

I heard back from Phuong and unfortunately she is not planning on attending this year. She is doing well but had surgery recently and will need some follow up treatment. She said that she didn't want to take a spot that someone else could use.

It was great to connect with her especially since she used to live in my area and also received treatment from Marin Cancer Center.

I look forward to meeting with the 2018 Colondar models who attend.. they look awesome and so very young, much too young for this disease... sighs
DX - 12/16
MSS - KRAS wild

O Stoma Mia

Call on Congress 2018 -- First Timer Orientation Video

Postby O Stoma Mia » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:27 am

Call on Congress 2018 First Timer Orientation (29 minutes)

Julienne Gede Edwards, and Trish Lannon (Colon Club's seussfan) tell first time Call-on Congress attendees what to expect when attending their first advocacy event in Washington DC:

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/embed/862zBEwgIXY/?rel=0&autoplay=1

O Stoma Mia

Call on Congress -- Live stream videos from D.C.

Postby O Stoma Mia » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:39 am

Call-on-Congress Live Streams from D.C.

This week, FightCRC will be live-streaming several panels so you can watch and participate from home! If you want to ask a question, either leave a comment on the video feed or tweet #ConC2018 on Twitter.

• Call-on-Congress – Day 1 “Keynote Address: Dr. Richard Goldberg"
    Video Replay: 19 minutes
    http://www.youtube.com/embed/Lmt_Rs4KEXQ/?rel=0&autoplay=1
  • Call-on-Congress – Day 1 “Global Colorectal Cancer Leadership Panel"
    Sunday, March 18 at 9:30am ET -- Global Colorectal Cancer Leadership Panel - Colorectal cancer is a GLOBAL issue. Make plans to watch us discuss CRC around the world with our partners at Bowel Cancer UK, Bowel Cancer Australia and EuropaColon.

On FightCRC’s Facebook live page:
    https://www.facebook.com/FightCRC/
  • Call-on-Congress – Day 1 “Hope vs. Hype
    Sunday, March 18 from 11-12pm ET -- Keynote address “Get Behind a Cure: Hope vs. Hype” by Dr. Richard Goldberg and Andrea (Andi) Dwyer’s “Responding to Hope” – how Fight CRC is investing in critical research.
    Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/embed/o1e2ffF1F1I/?rel=0&autoplay=1
  • Call-on-Congress – Day 2 – “Policy Deep Dive
    Monday, March 19 from 10:20-11am -- Healthcare Reform Deep Dive and Screening Loophole Bill Update with Fight CRC’s Advocacy team and Caroline Powers from ACS CAN
    Video Replay: 2 hours, 1 minutes.
    http://www.youtube.com/embed/IwdxMzKe258/?rel=0&autoplay=1
  • Call-on-Congress – Day 2 – “ Countrywide Discussion
    Monday, March 19 at 3pm ET -- Colorectal cancer groups from all over the country unite to discuss how to engage in the CRC community and how we’re tackling the big issues together.

• Call-on-Congress – Day 3 – “Hill Briefing from Capitol Hill
    Tuesday, March 20 at 8:30am ET -- Hill Briefing from Capitol Hill. Fight CRC, ACS CAN and the National Colorectal Cancer Roundtable (NCCRT) leaders will map out the road to 80% screened and beyond 2018 from Capitol Hill!

What to do if you’re not at Call-on Congress this week
https://fightcolorectalcancer.org/blog/youre-not-call-congress-week/

- -

Recap - Call on Congress 2018, Day 1 and Day 2
https://fightcolorectalcancer.org/blog/2018-call-congress-day-one-recap/

https://fightcolorectalcancer.org/blog/2018-call-congress-day-two-recap/

- -

Photo of 2018 ColonClub models posted on Twitter by Kristina Smith

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”