New to this site and need some advise

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Donnaj
Facebook Username: Donna jennings

New to this site and need some advise

Postby Donnaj » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:39 am

39 yr old female.
I carry 2 faulty genes BRCA and AT.
I’ve had bleeding and painful toilets for 7 weeks and I finally got my GP to refer me. I had a flexiable sigmoidoscopy today and this is what it said...
Finding
Colon polyps/ see polyps findings
Anal canal polyp- fibroepitheliar.
There were first degree haemorrhoids Which bleed only- in the anal canal.

Polyp record
Polyp identified in the sigmoid: type = sessile size 2mm. Surface type II- asteroid pit removed by cold snare(removed en block) retrieved the polyp was sent to histology.

Additional comments
Small sigmoid polyp removed
Fibroepithelial polyp present which prolapses and reduces spontaneously.

Colonoscope needed with genetic abnormality- no urgency do after Christmas. Colonoscopy booked for 4 weeks

My dad is just recovering from
Sigmoid cancer stage 3, should I be worried?

O Stoma Mia

Asteroid pit sessile polyp

Postby O Stoma Mia » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:24 pm

Donnaj wrote:...
Polyp record
Polyp identified in the sigmoid: type = sessile size 2mm. Surface type II- asteroid pit removed by cold snare(removed en block) retrieved the polyp was sent to histology.

Colonoscope needed with genetic abnormality- no urgency do after Christmas. Colonoscopy booked for 4 weeks

I think you would have to talk to someone who has had sessile polyps removed successfully. I have had no direct experience in that area.

Your sigmoidoscopy only covered the anus, rectum and sigmoid colon. You will need to go back in January so that they can do a colonoscopy with a full-length colonoscope to inspect the remaining 2/3 of your colon. Right now they have no information on what might be going on in the rest of your colon.

For your sigmoid colon it looks like whatever they found was was completely removed and was not malignant, but you won't know for sure until the biopsy results come back.

Here's some information on the type of polyp they found in your sigmoid colon:

Click on link below to view Figure 2: Type II asteroid pit sessile polyp.
.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4710666/figure/Fig2/?report=objectonly

Apparently, Type I and Type Ii are usually non-cancerous, but Types IiI, IV, and IV and above can be cancerous. Read the article below for details. Only the biopsy of your polyp will tell you for sure.
    Kudo proposed a gross classification of pit patterns into seven types. It has been suggested that type I and II pit patterns are characteristic of non-neoplastic lesions, such as normal mucosa or hyperplastic polyps. However, most lesions showing pattern types IIIS, IIIL, or IV, as well as a subset of V are intramucosal neoplastic lesions...Thus, type I and II lesions were designated as non-neoplastic patterns, and all other types were neoplastic.

Ref: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4710666/

Donnaj
Facebook Username: Donna jennings

Re: New to this site and need some advise

Postby Donnaj » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:03 pm

Thank you so much for your reply and info, very helpful. Thank you again
Donna x

Pemba

Re: New to this site and need some advise

Postby Pemba » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:51 pm

It’s very rare for a polyp under 5mm to be cancerous. The flat kind of polyp you have often have a higher chance of developing cancer at some point but again also depends on size.

I had a sigmoidoscopy and got a polyp removed then I waited about two months for my colonoscopy. Me GL wasn’t worried and thought he could make it a two in one appointment both to check the rest of the colon and checked my polyp was all gone.

Your report seems really harmless and I would not worry to much, I believe if the doctor thought it was anything they would say so.
2017: 15mm Tubulovillous adenoma- Low grade dysplasi.
Next scopy: original 2020 probably 2018-19

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”