CT Scan Just came in Liver Met (one)

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
susie0915
Facebook Username: Susan DeGrazia Hostetter

Re: CT Scan Just came in Liver Met (one)

Postby susie0915 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:17 pm

NHMike wrote:I kind of went through this recently. Stage 3B with a complete response after surgery. Surgeon suggested that I could do Xeloda or 5-FU of Adjuvant and skip the Oxaliplatin. Oncologist recommended, of course, Oxaliplatin. I've seen a lot of people go through this decision lately and the vast majority go with Adjuvant chemo, both 2s and 3s. At the 2 level, it's a much tougher decision, both for the oncologist and the patient. So I'm taking the risk on neuropathy in exchange for better odds of it not coming back. Believe me, if I could skip Adjuvant or Oxaliplatin, I would. No fun doing this stuff for the next five months.

It is a hard decision. I asked about doing xeloda only as well and my oncologist really wanted me to do oxaliplatin. Just be sure once you have side effects, to let your oncologist know. Dosage can be reduced on both the xeloda and oxi, as well as, meds given to help. My neuropathy wasn't really an issue until a month after I finished as I'm sure the oxi would've been reduced if I experienced during treatments. I would only get some tingling for a day or two after an infusion then it would go away. Now I have tingling in my feet all the time. I can live with it tho, beats the alternative and doesn't really stop me from doing anything.
58 yrs old Dx @ 55
5/15 DX T3N0MO
6/15 5 wks chemo/rad
7/15 sigmoidoscopy/only scar tissue left
8/15 PET scan NED
9/15 LAR
0/24 nodes
10/15 blockage. surgery,early ileo rev, c-diff inf :(
12/15 6 rds of xelox
5/16 CT lung scarring/inflammation
9/16 clear colonoscopy
4/17 C 4mm lung nod
10/17 pel/abd CT NED
11/17 CEA<.5
1/18 CT/Lung no change in 4mm nodule
5/18 CEA<.5, CT pel/abd/lung NED
11/18 CEA .6
5/19 CT NED, CEA <.5
10/19 Clear colonscopy
11/19 CEA <.5

Rikimaroo

Postby Rikimaroo » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:36 pm

Anyone do the 2day on 12 day off regimen of folfox/oxalaplatin with pump for 3 months, 6 treatments? Is the chemo tough when given like this? Also installation of the port, is that scary?
RC T3N1M0 12/16
MSS - NRAS Mutation
Chemo Rad, CCR - W&W 5/2017
Recurrence 11/2017
CT Scan 11/2017 Liver Met 5.5cm Stable, Stage IV
LAR/Liver Resect 4/2018
Reversal 10/18
CEA highest 500, lowest .8 throughout process, waiting for latest
Recurrence left vesical/pelvic sidewall - 10/7/2019 resect perm bag,
CEA rise Feb/May 3.7, 8.8, 30, Recurrence in Pelvic
CEA 40 right now, but was 57, so folfiri to beat it back down.
Lots of chemo for the past 4 years.

NHMike

Postby NHMike » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:05 pm

Rikimaroo wrote:Anyone do the 2day on 12 day off regimen of folfox/oxalaplatin with pump for 3 months, 6 treatments? Is the chemo tough when given like this? Also installation of the port, is that scary?

I've run into a lot of people doing FOLFOX for 6-12 treatments. Chemo seems to affect people differently. Most have various problems with the Oxaliplatin but I did a survey and some had very mild side-effects from it. Some have difficult side-effects from the 5FU and some just report some tiredness.

I'm having the port installed this Friday and I have the letter from the hospital with preparation instructions. Most folks I read about have the port installed - it's outpatient surgery. It should be a piece of cake compared to my LAR surgery. People with Stage 3 rectal cancer usually do Neo-Adjuvant 5FU/Xeloda, Surgery, and then Adjuvant XELOX or FOLFOX so they get the chest port after their LAR.

If you look back at what's been done, it's rather amazing what we put our bodies through for treatment. I'm in my sixth week out from surgery and things are getting better physically but I'm not 100%. Not by a long shot. There's so much that I want to do and almost need to do and my body is not up to doing a lot of those things. I would like to clear my roof off with accumulated snow tonight or tomorrow but I don't know that I'll be able to do that. Fortunately the snow is not too heavy and I have a volunteer to do it.
6/17: ER rectal bleeding; Colonoscopy
7/17: 3B rectal. T3N1bM0. 5.2 4.5 4.3 cm. Lymphs: 6 x 4 mm, 8 x 6, 5 x 5
7/17-9/17: Xeloda radiation
7/5: CEA 2.7; 8/16: 1.9; 11/30: 0.6; 12/20 1.4; 1/10 1.8; 1/31 2.2; 2/28 2.6; 4/10 2.8; 5/1 2.8; 5/29 3.2; 7/13 4.5; 8/9 2.8, 2/12 1.2
MSS, KRAS G12D
10/17: 2.7 2.2 1.6 cm (-90%). Lymphs: 3 x 3 mm (-62.5%), 4 x 3 (-75%), 5 x 3 (-40%). 5.1 CM from AV
10/17: LAR, Temp Ileostomy, Path Complete Response
CapeOx (8) 12/17-6/18
7/18: Reversal, Port Removal
2/19: Clean CT

Rikimaroo

Postby Rikimaroo » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:08 pm

Nice NHMike, love snow. I live in Florida so I don't see it LOL....I am also having port installed this Friday. I did Neo-adjuvant chemo radiation. Tumor went away and I chose W&W protocol and didn't do follow up chemo. Now that I have a liver met and original rectal tumor, there do presurgery chemo with port so its a little different then adjuvant. After this we will probably do adjuvant after surgery chemo.

I love Christmas times. I am trying to exercise and stay healthy, eat healthy. I pray that we all are here for many many more years to come.
RC T3N1M0 12/16
MSS - NRAS Mutation
Recurrence 11/2017
LAR/Liver Resect 4/2018
Reversal 10/18

Soccermom2boys

Postby Soccermom2boys » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:25 pm

Rikimaroo wrote:Anyone do the 2day on 12 day off regimen of folfox/oxalaplatin with pump for 3 months, 6 treatments? Is the chemo tough when given like this? Also installation of the port, is that scary?

Yep! I did a total of eight treatments over the course of four months, had a setback after the fourth treatment due to an irritated colon from the chemo so I had an extra two weeks off, but otherwise was fortunate to keep to my schedule. Your blood counts will invariably tank at some point, depends on your onc how they approach that. I would do Neulasta shots after about every other treatment because of low counts. In general I did fine on FOLFOX in that I had no major side effects, not even nausea, just always felt run-down and off during a treatment week and definitely tired by the day after disconnect. I am a part-time teacher (lucky enough to only teach half day schedule at a high school, have been on this schedule for past ten years) and I worked throughout all eight treatments, the last four I took the day after disconnect off as that was my most tired day. If I were a full time teacher, I know it would have been much much harder to go back to work full time. But depending on your line of work, it is very possible to work and go through chemo—not going to say it’s easy by any means, but doable and on a good note, working is good for keeping your brain from thinking about cancer every minute of the day. If you can, ask in advance to have the tennis-ball sized pump, it was great for being able to completely conceal that you are going through treatments. I never told my students and most of the staff and they had no idea, I was able to dress to hide it. It also makes no noise so it did not interrupt my sleep. However, regardless of which pump you get, no showering while you are tethered, just giving you a heads up. The first session will be the hardest because you will have no idea what to expect or how the routine will go, etc. at the infusion rooom. It’s unnerving feeling so helpless and scared initially, but with time you will get a routine going and an understanding of how your body handles it. Make no mistake, these are harsh toxins and some bodies can not handle it so please please please make sure you alert medical personnel while there if you feel anything that could be a potential side effect.

Drink a ton of water, as much as you possibly can because it really will make you feel better and it will help to make the chemo wash out of your system and getting dehydrated is a serious issue while on chemo. When I was going through the second half of my course of treatments, I would get a round of fluids after I disconnected just to be safe I was getting enough fluid intake overalll. With the cold sensitivity of Oxaliplatin it can be hard to drink enough because you will only be able to tolerate room temperature or warm drinks and so it can be harder than you think to drink say eight cups of room temp water a day, unless you like your water that temp (I never could get used to that). So when I would go in on disconnect day I would ask for the bag of fluids, took about an hour or so, but they don’t mind, they would rather you be proactive than the suffering and pain from thinking you will be ok on your own and then landing back in the hospital with bigger issues.

As for the port, it is an outpatient procedure. For me, it was rather painful for a good four or five days afterwards. It felt like my entire left upper chest/shoulder area was used for a punching bag. I took more extra strength Tylenol for that than I did when I got home from my APR surgery. However, once that initial soreness wore off, never a problem again. I honestly would forget it was there until my hand brushed over it or I saw myself in the mirror. Many on here have said the port insert was no pain, so hopefully that will be your experience. As with all things colorectal cancer, no two people are exactly the same, right?! :lol:

I wish you smooth sailing! I can only speak for my experience, I would sum it up as miserable, but tolerable. Many times you will need to just focus on getting through hour to hour and that’s ok, keep that in mind. This will be every bit as hard mentally as physically, that’s another important component. Keep coming back here for reinforcement and letting us know how you are doing. Good luck!
8/3/15 Went in with a hemorrhoid, came out with a tumor
8/12/15 Biopsy from colonoscopy confirms RC (45 yrs old--zero family history!)
9/21 - 10/29/15 chemorad 28 tx (with Xeloda)
12/17/15 APR with perm colostomy
Pathology report stages me as IIIA (T2N1M0)--1/15 LN detects cancer
2/3/16 chemo port inserted
2/8-6/2/16 8 rounds of Folfox

CAGirl

Postby CAGirl » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:58 am

I did 12 cycles of it -- 24 weeks. Was lucky enough to have a body that tolerated it well, and never had any postponements. Soccermom did a fabulous job describing -- I second what she says about fluid intake. I would drink heavily the day before my infusion. (Not how it sounds. No booze. Tee hee.) Then, I ALWAYS had IV fluids right after disconnect. Of course, after being connected for two days, you can't wait to get it out and go home/shower/rest or whatever, but that extra 30 minutes to an hour is worth it. Especially since you may want to sleep that disconnect day -- and not worry about hydrating.

I did oxaliplatin for 8 or 9 of my twelve cycles. The ones without were MUCH easier. You get used to the routine of it all, though. And it's nice to know you'll soon be on your "off" week and feeling like Superwoman/Man. People didn't even know what I was going through, either... except the million or so that I shared it with. Towards the later cycles, I did start to drag on my "good" weeks, too, though.

I do want to mention my excruciating "first bite pain." That was a doozy and hit immediately after my infusion ended on the first day (well, the oxali infusion -- not the 5-FU in the pump.) Lasted for a few days after disconnect, too, if I recall. (Been done with chemo for almost 3 months and have kinda blocked stuff from my memory.) Not sure if you're familiar with it -- or how many of us got it. It's bone-chilling pain in your jaw/glands (that's what it feels like, at least) for the first few bites of every meal.

Also, I did end up doing Zofran and 1/2 Avitan for nausea. And snacking a lot. All preemptively. Empty stomach made the nausea worse.

Port surgery no big deal, IMO. Mine was rough, because I reacted badly to the twilight sleep meds they gave me, which had never been a problem in the past. A combo of Versed and Fentanyl. Was vomiting all day from it. Port removal was no meds, btw.

I'm usually squeamish about veins and all-things-medical, but the port (and that method of chemo) became my friend, for sure. I do, however, hope to never rock the fanny pack again. It has been ruined as a fashion accessory for me forever.

Good luck!
Dx 2/2017, age 45, 2 kids: 6 yrs & 3 yrs
History of Crohn's disease - dx in 1997; in remission, thus no colonoscopy in over 10 years
Anemia dx 11/16: GI doc assured me "the likelihood of colon cancer" was "very low".
Stage 3C - T3N2b
8/64 lymph nodes; clear margins surgery 3/17
12 cycles of Folfox 4/17-9/17
3-month CT scan midway through chemo, no changes
2-3-mo CT scan post chemo 11/17 slightly larger lung nod (incr. from 7mm to 8 or 9mm)
CT scan 3/18 - NED
clear CT scan 1/2019 NED

heiders33

Postby heiders33 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:34 am

Soccermom2boys wrote: With the cold sensitivity of Oxaliplatin it can be hard to drink enough because you will only be able to tolerate room temperature or warm drinks and so it can be harder than you think to drink say eight cups of room temp water a day, unless you like your water that temp (I never could get used to that).

It’s so true about the water thing. I get really thirsty and fill a cup with lukewarm water thinking I’m going to drink the whole thing, but I can only drink half of it. One thing that helps is mixing powdered Pedialyte in, and that way I get my electrolytes.
40 year-old female
May 2017: Dx rectal cancer T3N2M0
MSS, KRAS G12D
6/17: 28 days chemorad
9/17: LAR/loop ileostomy, CAPOX six rounds
3/18: reversal
9/18: liver met, resection/HAI pump, 11 rounds 5FU, 1 round FUDR
11/19 - local recurrence, brachytherapy, 3 weeks targeted radiation
12/21 - end colostomy

Stewsbetty

Postby Stewsbetty » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:24 am

Rikimaroo wrote:Thanks everyone. I feel so disappointing in myself for not doing surgery in June. I may have been done with this. The W&W protocol I did I should of done chemo as a mop-up and I probably wouldn't be in this situation. I hate thinking this way and I know I shouldn't but I put myself in now such a sticky situation. :(

After talking with oncologists and reading forums we tend to get ideas in our heads of how things will go. I did the “mop-up” chemo after my stage 3 diagnosis. It didn’t mop up the cancer cells. If it did anything, it was keep me stable for the 6 months I was in it. So please don’t beat yourself up over it. None of us knows the future so we go ahead with what seems right at the time. If I had known the chemo wouldn’t work I definitely wouldn’t have gone 12 rounds!
Re: port. It hurt more than I expected. So go in expecting to be on painkillers for a few days and you may be pleasantly surprised if it doesn’t.
Re: chemo. Don’t follow Imodium package instructions. Just keep taking it every time you have diarrhea. If diarrhea (or nausea) gets out of control you may end up hospitalized and 20 lbs down.
Best of luck through this next portion of your journey.
Beth
42yo At diagnosis. Female in BC, Canada
Dx: CC ascending
Right Hemi colectomy 06/16 clear margins
Adenocarcinoma 6cm High Grade
pT3 pN2a Stage 3
10 out of 16 lymph involved
MSI-h, Kras mut, Braf wild
Finished chemo Feb. 2017
PET scan showing active area April 2017
July 2017 CT showing LN mass and spread to other LN
Stage 4
Aug 2017 failed Fofiri
Sept 2017 keytruda scans every 3 months showing shrinkage and stability
November 2018 CT shows only 1 small tumour left
September 2019 clear CT finally NED!!!

susie0915
Facebook Username: Susan DeGrazia Hostetter

Postby susie0915 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:11 am

I did the Xelox. Taking the pills for two weeks is a little more convenient than having the pump. I had 6 rounds and went in for infusions every 3 weeks and took pills for two weeks then a week off. I've been out of treatment for awhile so you can forget, but remember as others mention their side effects. I didn't get a port. I asked my oncologist if she thought I could do through IV. She said I could try, I figured it's only 6 rounds and 3 weeks in between and if there were ever a problem I could always get the port. I had just been in the hospital for 3 1/2 week with a blowel blockage 4 weeks after my resection, and had surgery again, ileo reversal, and wanted to avoid another procedure if at all possible. It worked out pretty well. My side effects were first bite, fatigue, and diarrhea. I did have IV fluids a couple times because of the diarrhea. I like my water room temp so that was okay to drink. I live in Michigan, and had chemo during the winter so I always made sure I had a scarf and hat to cover up after coming out of treatment because of cold sensitivity. As others have said, be sure to make your oncologist aware of any side effects as dose reductions can be made, and meds given to help. Good Luck.
58 yrs old Dx @ 55
5/15 DX T3N0MO
6/15 5 wks chemo/rad
7/15 sigmoidoscopy/only scar tissue left
8/15 PET scan NED
9/15 LAR
0/24 nodes
10/15 blockage. surgery,early ileo rev, c-diff inf :(
12/15 6 rds of xelox
5/16 CT lung scarring/inflammation
9/16 clear colonoscopy
4/17 C 4mm lung nod
10/17 pel/abd CT NED
11/17 CEA<.5
1/18 CT/Lung no change in 4mm nodule
5/18 CEA<.5, CT pel/abd/lung NED
11/18 CEA .6
5/19 CT NED, CEA <.5
10/19 Clear colonscopy
11/19 CEA <.5

AnonSurvivor

Postby AnonSurvivor » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:54 pm

I did 12 cycles with the pump + Oxali + Avastin and 8 more without the Oxali NOV 2012 - AUG 2013. Neither the port installation nor removal was a big deal -- 1/2 hour procedure start to finish then a couple days of soreness. That said, it is a little weird walking around with a catheter in your jugular vein. I had mine for years.

The chemo side effects will get progressively worse. My experience with the chemo you're about to take: it did not really smack me until about the 3rd or 4th cycle. By the 12th, it was knocking me down for a few days.

More info about my case is in this thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52785&p=465619&hilit=anonsurvivor#p415796

Please PM me with any questions.

NHMike

Postby NHMike » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:41 am

I had the port installed on Friday and some soreness that evening. I was able to drive after a lot of sleep the next day. There are some annoying things about it so far related to moving my arms around at shoulder level that I need to use my left hand for now. But I don’t notice it most of the time.
7/5: CEA 2.7; 8/16: 1.9; 11/30: 0.6; 12/20 1.4; 1/10 1.8; 1/31 2.2; 2/28 2.6; 4/10 2.8; 5/1 2.8; 5/29 3.2; 7/13 4.5; 8/9 2.8, 2/12 1.2
MSS, KRAS G12D
10/17: 2.7 2.2 1.6 cm (-90%). Lymphs: 3 x 3 mm (-62.5%), 4 x 3 (-75%), 5 x 3 (-40%). 5.1 CM from AV
CapeOx (8) 12/17-6/18

Robino1
Facebook Username: Robin.lawthers

Postby Robino1 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:24 am

I was told to not raise my arm over my head, after the port was installed, until after it healed.

I had a PET scan two days after getting the port and had to leave my arms by my side during the scan. Give your body time to heal and get used to the new device.

It will get better for you. :)
At 54 2014 1st colonoscopy colon cancer detect
Colon resect margins clear. No chemo Stage II
Distend abd, pain in intestines.
CT scan seeding & Ascites
Lap diag - cancer on the omentum
CEA 217; 219
FOLFOX started 6/17
CEA 202
8/29/17 CT melting of tumor.
Latest CT scan shows 2 new tumors and return of ascites.
CEA: (2017)9/30 -109; 10/12 -99.1; 11/4 -90.7; 11/30 -70.7; 12/14 -83.4; (2018)1/4 -73.3; 2/1-84.2; 89.2; 89.8; 88.5; 81.8: 93.5; 107; 119
BRAF V600e

Rikimaroo

Postby Rikimaroo » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:19 am

Hello guys.

I got my port installed on Friday, other then a bit of soreness around the area and moving my right around above my head (which I didn't do) or not taking a shower for two days, it seems to be fine. I finally took a bath in the tub and was crouching on all fours to wash my hair. My wife helped of course, but as a dude, its kind of awkward LOL....

Sleeping is a bit strange, I can sleep on my tummy left side, don't sleep on the right yet. I also still have the bloody dressing from the day of port installation. I have my first treatment on Wednesday so I am assuming I shouldn't mess with it. They say not to get it wet for 7 days. So I will wait for them to change it out or take it off once I get my pump.

Keep the good fight going guys. We will win this battle!!
RC T3N1M0 12/16
MSS - NRAS Mutation
Recurrence 11/2017
LAR/Liver Resect 4/2018
Reversal 10/18

NHMike

Postby NHMike » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:34 am

I taped a big piece of Saran Wrap over my chest and took a shower. It occurred to me that I could have just wrapped a big piece around my body but that would have used far more material.
Last edited by NHMike on Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MSS, KRAS G12D
CapeOx (8) 12/17-6/18

Rikimaroo

Postby Rikimaroo » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:59 am

You know whats funny My dad bought the wrap from Walgreens for me, yes my Dad is very loving for his 39 year old son, guess age doesn't matter right!! I didn't want to use it cause I was nervous of moisture or anything just seeping its way in there and causing an infection. Better to be safe then sorry but if its working for you NHMike, Maybe I will just do it too...Hate the all fours thing :shock:
RC T3N1M0 12/16
MSS - NRAS Mutation
Recurrence 11/2017
LAR/Liver Resect 4/2018
Reversal 10/18

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”