All Lung Nodule Experiences

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
justin case

Re: All Lung Nodule Experiences

Postby justin case » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:35 pm

jaybel wrote:Thats exactly what I am doing. I asked why the need for another full scan and she said no reason I do the same with everyone. I still might go ahead and get the scan but I just want a few other opinions before I go in for another full CT. It just makes it stressful when communication is poor between patient and doctor.

I may regret saying this, but many oncologists are only in it for the money, I happenned to hear 2 doctors talking in an elevator. Doctors get kickbacks on the scans .
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

mpbser

Postby mpbser » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:13 pm

Here's my husband's RADIOLOGY HISTORY WITH FOCUS ON LUNGS

April 12, 2017 CT abdomen with IV contrast at SVMC (local hospital/cancer center)

Lung bases: Clear. There is note of a small amount of pericardial fluid. Free air: None. Free fluid: Small amount of free fluid seen in the cul-de-sac.

June 17, 2017 PET skull-mid-thigh non-contrast followed by contrast at SVMC

Thorax: No evidence of hypermetabolic lesion in the mediastinum, hila or lungs.

July 30, 2017 MRI abdomen non-contrast followed by contrast at SVMC

NB: HX- to evaluate rest of liver. The lung bases are clear.

October 3, 2017 MRI upper abdomen non-contrast followed by contrast at MGH (more advanced & powerful tech)

LYMPH NODES: Borderline portacaval lymph node measuring 1 cm in short axis (1701:25). Nonspecific subcentimeter cardiophrenic lymph nodes. “LUNGS” not listed.

May 23, 2018 CT with contrast at MGH

Lungs and Airways: The central airways are patent. There is mild diffuse bronchial wall thickening keeping with bronchitis. There are scattered nodules measuring up to 4 mm including in the RIGHT lung on image 59, and LEFT lung on image 44 and 46.

No indication whether the nodules are solid, part-solid, or ground-glass which would direct follow up recommendation.

https://radiology-universe.org/2017_Fle ... endations/

He's scheduled for an MRI but all of his MRIs have been abdominal and did not look at lungs, although I assume he can have an MRI that includes lungs. Right?
Wife 4/17 Dx age 45
5/17 LAR
Adenocarcinoma
low grade
1st primary T3 N2b M1a
Stage IVA
8/17 Sub-total colectomy
2nd primary 5.5 cm T1 N0
9 of 96 nodes
CEA: < 2.9
MSS
Lynch no; KRAS wild
Immunohistochemsistry Normal
Fall 2017 FOLFOX shrank the 1 met in liver
1/18 Liver left hepatectomy seg 4
5/18 CT clear
12/18 MRI 1 liver met
3/7/19 Resection & HAI
4/1/19 Folfiri & FUDR
5/13/19 HAI pump catheter dislodge, nearly bled to death
6-7 '19 5FU 4 cycles
NED

~WorriedDaughter~

Postby ~WorriedDaughter~ » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:31 pm

Hi all, long time lurker here... finally got to courage to post. I’m posting in this thread because I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight to my dad’s CT scan results for his lung mets. You can see from my signature at diagnosis he had multiple (10+) bilateral lung mets that were inoperable. My father is quite private so I unfortunately do not know too much about his diagnosis, other than that it is stage 4 and he is currently on a chemo regimen of 5FU and Avastin. After his first round of chemo, he had his first scan and the results were (in my dad’s words) “Lungs clear of all larger nodules...hard to see the others. Doing everything right, including excercise and weight maintenance. Will continue chemo for another 12 weeks.”

My father is tolerating chemo extremely well (some fatigue and tingles in his hands and feet), has been extremely active the entire first part of this journey (5+ miles a day of walking or biking), and has maintained a decent weight throughout (lost ten pounds initially, but bounced back up to his regular weight).

I’m just wondering... is this good news? That his nodules are disappearing? I’m assuming it is, but what should I expect? I know lung mets almost always come back. But is it typical for patients to have such a optimistic first scan? I apologize if I sound uninformed, I have never attended a doctors appointment with my father, only his chemo treatments (for reference, I’m 26 and he’s 65). Anyways, just looking for advice or experiences. Thanks!
Daughter to father with stage 4 colorectal cancer/lung mets

5/18 - Initial diagnosis
6/18 - Dx Stage 4 with multiple bilateral mets to lungs
7/18 - 5FU + Avastin begun
9/18 - First round (6 weeks) of chemo complete with optimistic CT scan results. Will continue with additional 12 weeks of chemo

mpbser

Postby mpbser » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:18 am

I would think that the fact that the larger nodules are shrinking is a good sign. Shrinkage = good in all cases of cancerous/suspicious masses. It's a good thing that he is responding to the chemo especially after just one cycle, too.
Wife 4/17 Dx age 45
5/17 LAR
Adenocarcinoma
low grade
1st primary T3 N2b M1a
Stage IVA
8/17 Sub-total colectomy
2nd primary 5.5 cm T1 N0
9 of 96 nodes
MSS
Lynch no; KRAS wild
5/18 CT clear
12/18 MRI 1 liver met
3/7/19 Resection & HAI
4/1/19 Folfiri & FUDR
6-7 '19 5FU 4 cycles
NED

~WorriedDaughter~

Postby ~WorriedDaughter~ » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:01 am

mpbser,

Thanks for your reply and I'm sorry for sabotaging the thread! I read through some of your previous comments and I'm sorry about your husband. I do hope you figure out whether or not his lung nodules are mets (crossing my fingers for you that they are benign/inflammation). My dad did a needle biopsy, which turned out nothing, then a transbronchial biopsy, which again provided nothing, and finally a VATs biopsy which proved his were mets. Sometimes it takes a while.

Keeping your husband in my thoughts! He sounds like a fighter.
Daughter to father with stage 4 colorectal cancer/lung mets

5/18 - Initial diagnosis
6/18 - Dx Stage 4 with multiple bilateral mets to lungs
7/18 - 5FU + Avastin begun
9/18 - First round (6 weeks) of chemo complete with optimistic CT scan results. Will continue with additional 12 weeks of chemo

mpbser

Postby mpbser » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:18 pm

Thanks, ~WorriedDaughter~

My husband reached out to his surgeon friend about the report. He said in 99.999999999999% of the time, these nodules are nothing but benign spots.

I hope we get good results when he gets a local Chest CT done sometime in October. I'll post again when we learn more!

*Now back to watching Kavanaugh testify* (gets the popcorn!)
Wife 4/17 Dx age 45
5/17 LAR
Adenocarcinoma
low grade
1st primary T3 N2b M1a
Stage IVA
8/17 Sub-total colectomy
2nd primary 5.5 cm T1 N0
9 of 96 nodes
MSS
Lynch no; KRAS wild
5/18 CT clear
12/18 MRI 1 liver met
3/7/19 Resection & HAI
4/1/19 Folfiri & FUDR
6-7 '19 5FU 4 cycles
NED

Hopepray

Postby Hopepray » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:48 am

Worried a bit, because my mom just had a pet ct scan after finishing her adjuvant chemo post surgery, also one year after initial diagnosis with a CT (done at a different place).
And the scan said a 4mm nodule right upper lung. A 4mm pleural based nodule right posterior basal lung are seen that were not present in previous pet ct.

Her new cea is 2.3 though last one right at the end of her chemo cycle was 4.7

Please note that she had pet ct right before her surgery which didn't pickup these. But the initial diagnosis ct before her nCRT which was done at a different center did note a 4mm ground glass nodule right upper lung.

She had a liver hemangioma which has stayed same all throughout.

A bit worried about this at the moment.
Caregiver to mom
54 y, dx 2/20, T3N1BM0,14 cms from AV. G1
CEA: 2.8 2/10/20;; 2.3 4/20;;1.3 6/20, 4.7 12/20 aft chemo,2.33 2/21
CT and MRI show the tumour + GGN Lung + Hemangioma Liver.
EMVI absent
Genetics not done
28x/Cap/ CRT 28/Mar/20
MRI- 4/20- no mass seen, lymph node in peri-rectal space.
Pet/CT 6/20 no nodes or rectal mass, no Glass nodule in lung. Hemangioma same
Flex Sig w/ biopsy 6/20 : no mass, scar, biopsy -ve
LAR, no ileo 7/1/20
CapeOx 4x begin 9/5/20
Pet ct: 2 new 4mm nodules right lung. WW

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”