My year long saga with high CEA.

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
zx10guy

My year long saga with high CEA.

Postby zx10guy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:23 pm

I posted the below verbiage on another support forum. Felt it was just easier to copy and paste here.

Quick summary of what has transpired this year with my CEA levels. March 20th, CEA spiked from 5.2 in December to 15.6 during a routine 3 month checkup. Retest done March 22, CEA is 16.7. A series of diagnostics were done: colonoscopy, CT w/contrast, PET/CT, small bowel capsule endoscopy, endoscopy with targeted ultrasound, and MRI with contrast. While there were some issues found there was nothing cancer related.

Meanwhile more CEA tests were done. May 2nd, CEA 14.2. June 19th, CEA 11.9. So things were trending back down and it appears whatever is causing it seems to be resolving itself. September 18th, during another 3 month checkup, CEA 15.2. Ok, why the unexpected spike? My oncologist feels there's nothing to worry about. I sat on this till early this month when I decide to talk to my GI doctor to see what he thinks. He feels there's something going on but to run blood work to see where I am now. November 8th, CEA 20.2. Ok. What the heck is going on? Talk to my oncologist. He says he still feels there's nothing to be concerned about but to set up an appointment with him so we can discuss further in person.

Appointment was set up on November 14th. We talked about why he think there's nothing going on with me which indicates a recurrence or metastatic spread. He said something which provides some clarity on CEA in general. He said CEA is not a primary diagnostic tool and is never used until someone has had a confirmed case of solid tumor cancer. Afterwards, CEA is used to see if something may be happening to initiate further diagnostics. He said typically tumors in the colon will not spike CEA. It's when there is metastatic spread is when CEA jumps...typically. He said I've always been on the high side with CEA. Even with the CEA spike I had last year where it went from 5.6 to 9.7 to 11 and then back down to 9.7 prior to the right hemicolectomy to remove a cancerous polyp in my appendix, he felt the CEA climb wasn't due to the polyp but just coincidence. He said it's a shame a long term baseline of my CEA levels wasn't done prior to being diagnosed with cancer. He thinks this fluctuation is just my normal as it's been years that I've had elevated CEA with clear scans and no symptoms.
But he went ahead and ordered another round of blood work along with a CT w/contrast. So my CEA on November 14th was 14.3. An almost 6 point drop in less than a week. I got the results back from the CT scan last Thursday which said I am still NED. All the blood work I've referenced above were done at Labcorp so there was no interlab variability.

So it appears my doctor has been right all along. I wanted to put this thread out there as there appears to be no one posting on the Internet that has followed up on their high CEA levels to the extent I have. I know when I was hunting for answers it was frustrating to read about someone that started to exhibit the same CEA behaviors as me but then drop off the face of the Earth. I'll continue to update my situation to provide a long term record of my progress. The recent results prompted my oncologist to stay with my graduation to 6 month checkups now.

As a parting gift, I found a medical paper about a patient in Taiwan who was treated for colon cancer to later have a recurrence in her ovary. Her CEA history ranged from a spike of 1500 just after the surgery to remove her ovary to a low of 68.5. The doctors administered oral 5FU which didn't have an affect on CEA. She was followed for 5 to 6 years with periodic scans done along the way. They never found any additional metastasis during this time. Here is a link to a summary of the paper. Unfortunately, I can't directly link to the actual PDF.

https://academic.oup.com/jjco/article/36/12/811/874390

Oh and it looks like I'll be crossing that golden 5 year mark being NED since I was diagnosed back in Dec. 18, 2012 with my initial cancer diagnosis; stage 3b colon cancer.

justin case

Re: My year long saga with high CEA.

Postby justin case » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:28 pm

Some people carry a high CEA, mine is . I never worried about it . Going on 6 years since diagnosis .
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

zx10guy

Postby zx10guy » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:34 pm

justin case wrote:Some people carry a high CEA, mine is . I never worried about it . Going on 6 years since diagnosis .

That's good to hear. How high has yours been and have they stayed high?

dianetavegia
Facebook Username: Diane Weldy Tavegia

Postby dianetavegia » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:17 pm

zx,

My CEA spiked at 8.5 on the day of my liver resection but otherwise only hit 4.3 or 4.4 when I had pneumonia. Recently during a routine visit, it was 5.8 and I had CT, MRI of abdomen and pelvic plus blood work. I HAD been very sick for about 8 weeks with sinus issues/ infection, swollen turbinates that were red, etc. Anyhow, while searching I found info about false elevations due to thyroid.

I'd gained 17 lbs in the last 2 or 3 years and even 9 hours a week at the gym and eating super healthy did nothing. I made a note of some odd symptoms I have: Low body temp of 96.4 to 97.4, very cold in the middle of the day summer and winter, dry skin, high cholesterol even with healthy diet, weight gain, brittle fingernails, etc. I looked up symptoms of thyroid problems and low hypothyroid had those and other symptoms I have! I had my TSH tested and was put on thryoid meds this week. The article said that once the meds regulate your thyroid, it can take 4 to 9 months for your CEA to return to normal. They believe the thyroid messes up how the liver processes CEA and everyone has some amount of CEA even if they've never had cancer.

There are many medical articles on this and you can find them by searching thyroid and CEA.

If you haven't had your thyroid tested, do! My onc did scans, MRI's, etc. and finds nothing wrong so we won't test my CEA again until my next visit in April.

Diane
Stage III cc surgery 1/7/09. 12 tx FOLFOX
Stage IV PET = 1.5cm liver met. HR 4/11/12

14 years since dx and 11 years post liver resection.
Pronounced CURED and discharged by onc

“O Lord my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me.” Psalms 30:2

justin case

Postby justin case » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:29 pm

zx10guy wrote:
justin case wrote:Some people carry a high CEA, mine is . I never worried about it . Going on 6 years since diagnosis .

That's good to hear. How high has yours been and have they stayed high?

Mine runs around 10, I'm sorry I had a computer problem, and just got it fixed !
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”