cecum removal appendix too?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
jsw7302013

cecum removal appendix too?

Postby jsw7302013 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:49 pm

I had a pelvic & abdominal CT scan Nov. 17 for 4 year follow up. Report summary: "All Clear" NED. However among other details it also stated appendix located and is unremarkable. The problem is I thought they removed my appendix!
So I started making calls: Surgeons office nurse: "No it was not removed. I'm reading surgeons notes." Gatro's PA: "No it wasn't removed, I'm reading path report. It was just biopsied."
BUT I have the pathology report that clearly states "Specimen labeled terminal ileum and ascending colon. Received includes the large bowel representing cecum and ascending region. Specimen has been resected along with an attached 9cm portion of terminal ileum and an unremarkable 7.5 X .6 X .5cm appendix" & then goes on to describe the tumor. I know resected means removed and the pathologists also describes sectioning of the appendix reveals a 2mm diameter lumen covered by light tan mucosa.
So WHY have two health care professionals told me the appendix wasn't removed & how could the scan show an appendix that i know is not there? Doesn't instill much confidence in me for any of them. Additionally basic anatomy: doctor would not detach appendix that was attached to cecum where the tumor was & jut leave it in my peritoneal cavity.
Any input would be enlightening.
60 year old female
Dx: signet ring cell tumor in cecum, stage IIb,
no lymph involvement, Lynch negative
no perineural invasion, microsatellite instabilitiy
right hemicolectomy with resection 8/13
no follow up treatment

Pat
Facebook Username: Pat Henderson Sins

Re: cecum removal appendix too?

Postby Pat » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:41 pm

:roll: I hope you continue to fight on to get this straightened out. I had a similar situation where my colonoscopy report came back stating that my uterus was healthy. I had a hysterectomy 2 years prior. And how magical my colon is that they could see a missing organ...that is not located in the colon. It truly is a black hole where all matter collects. I’ve found that I have to be vigilant and question the healthcare professionals at every step. Good luck
57 yr old. Dx 9/2015, Stage IIIc T4aN2bM0 BRAF/V600e
10/2015 Right Hemicolectomy
High Grade, poorly differentiated Adenocarcinoma of the Hepatic Flexure
25 of 30 lymph nodes cancerous extranodal extension
Barrett's Esophagus
11/2015 Folfox 12 cycles stopped 3x for month each due to low blood counts
7/30/2016 - finally finished Folfox
9/15/2016 - Clear colonoscopy, 1 sessile polyp
9/7/2017 - clear colonoscopy, next due in 3 yrs

jsw7302013

Re: cecum removal appendix too?

Postby jsw7302013 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:20 pm

Pat wrote::roll: I hope you continue to fight on to get this straightened out. I had a similar situation where my colonoscopy report came back stating that my uterus was healthy. I had a hysterectomy 2 years prior. And how magical my colon is that they could see a missing organ...that is not located in the colon. It truly is a black hole where all matter collects. I’ve found that I have to be vigilant and question the healthcare professionals at every step. Good luck

Thanks for the validation Pat. Not only frustrating, but concerned about what the radiologist saw that he identified an appendix when I don't have an appendix! Wishing you the best with continued good health!
60 year old female
Dx: signet ring cell tumor in cecum, stage IIb,
no lymph involvement, Lynch negative
no perineural invasion, microsatellite instabilitiy
right hemicolectomy with resection 8/13
no follow up treatment

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”