New here- full colectomy recommended by surgeon- any advice?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
RobinD

New here- full colectomy recommended by surgeon- any advice?

Postby RobinD » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:26 am

Hi all- very glad to have found this forum! I was dignosed by colonoscopy on 11/3/17. I have a large tumor where the cecum and ascending colon meet. I have two other suspicious polyps, one in transverse, one in descending. My board-certified surgeon is saying full colectomy. Have any of you had a full colectomy and what is it like living without a colon? Conversely, have any of you had multiple polyps and kept part of your colon? Thanks. Robin

Utwo

Re: New here- full colectomy recommended by surgeon- any advice?

Postby Utwo » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:51 pm

What are dimensions of all your polyps?

I had three polyps with large one in caecum (similar to what you have).
All of them were removed during colonoscopy.
Afterwards right hemicolectomy was performed for "prophylactic purposes".

I would recommend to get a 2nd opinion - find and talk to a colonoscopy expert.
In my case 1st GI surgeon was able to remove 2 small polyps during my 1st colonoscopy and referred me to another guy (who was doing only colonoscopy/gastroscopy and nothing else) for removal of a bigger sessile polyp.
58 yo male at diagnosis: T1bN0M0, 0/15 nodes, low grade/moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma
03/2016 colonoscopy: 2 small polyps removed in left colon; CEA = 1.3
04/2016 colonoscopy: caecum sessile 3.5 cm polyp piecemeal removed with kind of clear margins
05/2016 "prophylactic" laparoscopic right hemicolectomy - bleeding, leak, infection
06/2017 CT scan, colonoscopy OK; CEA = 1.6
A lot of funny stuff discovered by CT scans in liver, kidney, lungs, arteries, gallbladder, lymph node, pancreas

Deb m

Postby Deb m » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:08 pm

My husbands main tumor was also in his cecum. He had his cecum, ascending colon and appendix removed along with 24 lymph nodes. He also had a polyp in his transverse colon which was NOT positive for cancer and was removed during the colonoscopy.

I agree with getting a second opinion from a MAJOR cancer center. I'm not sure if removing your entire colon is over kill or not. Are you lynch positive?

Debbie

rockhound

Postby rockhound » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:40 pm

I considered it due to Lynch positive diagnosis, but surgeon basically talked me out because of quality of life issues... I figure (and his point) was that it could always be something I could do in the future. I'm glad I did not but would be ok if I need to in future.
45 yr old male
Diagnosed December 2016, age 41
Stage 1/IIA rectal cancer - T2/3N0M0 via MRI (MRI indicates stage 1; onc/surgeon = stage 2a)
Lynch syndrome, MSH6 mutation, MSI
2 to 3/2017 Xeloda + Radiation
5/10/17 - Robotic LAR with temp. loop illeostomy, 0/20 lymph nodes
6 to 7/2017 - Six cycles Folfox @ full strength
9/20/17 - Ileostomy takedown
10/17 - CT, NED
5/18 - CT, NED
11/18 - CT, NED
5/19 - CT, NED..moving to yearly CT scans
5/20 - CT, NED
5/21 - CT, NED (4 yr. scan)

chrisca

Postby chrisca » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:35 pm

Second opinion definitely called for. Surgeons can neglect long-term quality of life consequences when they don't consider the individual patient's situation carefully. If you feel like you're being treated like a statistic, find a doctor who treats the person, not the disease.
Male, false negative colonoscopy age 48
DX: 12/2010 rectal cancer age 51
Stage T3N0M0 2 cm from anal verge
neoadjuvant rad/chemo Xeloda
Rectal resection (open surgery) straight anastomosis
Xeloda round 2
ileostomy reversal 11/2011
Successful adhesion X-lap 8/2013
Ongoing LAR syndrome but NED 10 years

RobinD

Postby RobinD » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:53 pm

Thanks for all your thoughtful replies. I saw my surgeon again yesterday and she is going to do a colonoscopy to remove all the smaller polyps and then take out the large tumor the next day. I am far more comfortable with this scenario. While I may still seek a second opinion, I trust her and she is at a hospital associated with MD Anderson.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”