Hello....

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
sryall
Facebook Username: Shauna Giles Ryall

Hello....

Postby sryall » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:09 pm

First post... Forum seems to be very uplifting and supportive.

I had a colonoscopy late September but the cleanse wasn't enough. Came back for round 2 late October... I woke up towards the end and the doc looks at me an says "it's a good thing you came back" A bit later he says I need to have another colonoscopy at a different hospital which has some equipment needed.

He then showed us a picture with what looked like a yellow worm near my old appendix site... I'm still a bit dopey from the procedure but he emphasizes that it will be higher risk.

I saw my GP and asked him for the results... Be said they were doing a lap (they aren't) and the legion is 3-5 cm in size...

I'm thinking that seems pretty big from what I have read... likely past stage 0???

I know he took polyps but I didn't get any info. My GP is new to me so I'm not sure if he was evading answering me or didn't think I could handle it or thinking the surgeon should tell or??

My colonoscopy is scheduled for December 7. I have a 2 week cleanse I start later this week...

Any feedback appreciated. I'm still floating around in a boat but the land is in site...
I'm a Cardiology tech so I understand quite a bit on med info
Shauna Ryall Christian
Wife, Mom, Grandma
Cardiology Technologist
https://christiandepressionlife.wordpress.com
3-5 cm lesion Oct 27/2017

Surgery scheduled for January 16/2019

Maggie Nell

Re: Hello....

Postby Maggie Nell » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:54 am

Welcome to this forum, Shauna.

It is helpful that you have more than a layperson's understanding of anatomy, physiology and medical 'stuff',
however this can work against you with being on the same page as your general physician, surgeon and every
other medical professional you might encounter. Allow for a reality in which your new GP may have difficulty
with relaying unpleasant news or fear an emotional reaction from you that they are not so well trained to
handle.

However, if you sense that this particular GP is taking an old-fashioned paternal stance and being overly
protective, then dump his ass and get yourself a switched-on physician who will not leave you to doubt and
wonder. Your body, your call.

Other fora folk will be helpful with suggestions as to medical centres in your neck of the woods.
DX April 2015, @ 54
35mm poorly diff. tumour, incidental finding following emergency R. hemicolectomy
for ileo-colic intussusception.
Lymph nodes: 0/22
T3 N0 MX
Stage II CRC, no adjuvant chemo required.

O Stoma Mia

Right-side vs. left side

Postby O Stoma Mia » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:45 am

If you have a tumor on the right side (near the appendix) then you might want to read up on the right-sided vs. left -sided tumor issue. There are several members here who have looked into this issue.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2016/05/18/whether-colon-cancer-is-on-the-left-or-right-side-can-help-predict-survival-time/?hpid=hp_hp-more-top-stories_tyh-coloncancer515p%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.629ce73119d8

Utwo

Re: Right-side vs. left side

Postby Utwo » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:49 am

O Stoma Mia wrote:If you have a tumor on the right side (near the appendix) then you might want to read up on the right-sided vs. left -sided tumor issue. There are several members here who have looked into this issue.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2016/05/18/whether-colon-cancer-is-on-the-left-or-right-side-can-help-predict-survival-time/?hpid=hp_hp-more-top-stories_tyh-coloncancer515p%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.629ce73119d8

Sryall
, please disregard this article.

1. "Correlation doesn't mean causation" and medical doctors are notorious for poor math knowledge.
Also (even if this claim is true) it doesn't provide any guidance for you.

2. Your TNM score is the most important metric for you.
Without TNM you have very limited understanding of what awaits you.

Disclaimer: I may be wrong with my interpretation and prediction.

I assume that they want to get your polyp out during your next colonoscopy.
If 1) it's successfully removed and 2) you have "clear margins" you may not even need neither laparoscopic nor open surgery.

The fact that they scheduled one more colonoscopy looks like a good sign to me.
Please stop worrying. You do not have any reason to be really concerned so far. :)

sryall wrote:He then showed us a picture with what looked like a yellow worm ...

It's the best picture possible.
I wish I were that lucky.
Please read about sessile vs. pedunculated polyps.
58 yo male at diagnosis: T1bN0M0, 0/15 nodes, low grade/moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma
03/2016 colonoscopy: 2 small polyps removed in left colon; CEA = 1.3
04/2016 colonoscopy: caecum sessile 3.5 cm polyp piecemeal removed with kind of clear margins
05/2016 "prophylactic" laparoscopic right hemicolectomy - bleeding, leak, infection
06/2017 CT scan, colonoscopy OK; CEA = 1.6
A lot of funny stuff discovered by CT scans in liver, kidney, lungs, arteries, gallbladder, lymph node, pancreas

sryall

Postby sryall » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:26 am

My GP seems good enough, I don't think he fully realizes that I'm a cardio tech and smarter than your average bear...he was evasive I still don't will wait

Right vs left... Different physiological or less found, missed?

Polyps... I think that there is just the big one left... They were removed during the last colonoscopy... I'm assuming of "regular" size. From what I remember and seeing it was flat on the colon cecum are...
Shauna Ryall Christian
Wife, Mom, Grandma
Cardiology Technologist

sryall

Postby sryall » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:10 am

I had my colonoscopy on Thursday... He marked it with Indian ink and will schedule surgery. It was too big for just a colonoscopy.

I was awake and saw it. To me it looked more like cauliflower... Several heads lumped together. Some of the tops looked like they has brains inside... wiggles visible... The bottom of the polyp was not straight... Several rounded parts but not a stalk...
He said it looked good when I asked him regarding cancer... I see him Wed and book a surgery date.
Thanks in Advance
Shauna Ryall Christian
Wife, Mom, Grandma
Cardiology Technologist

sryall

Postby sryall » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:55 am

Update... Had the 2nd colonoscopy... The polyp was too big to remove. I see him in his office on Wednesday to schedule surgery.
When I asked him how it looked he said it looked good and from our conversation he thinks it is not cancerous.
Time will tell...
Thanks for all the info
Shauna Ryall Christian
Wife, Mom, Grandma
Cardiology Technologist

sryall

Postby sryall » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:42 pm

I'm scheduled for surgery Jan 16th. The right side will be removed. Surgeon states it doesn't look like cancer. He said biopsy were not back yet (since the Oct colonoscopy?)

When I went to the front desk to book a surgery day my doc followed and looking over her shoulder bumped somebody out of the place I now have... That I found interesting seeing as it doesn't look like cancer...
The other interesting thing was his description of the polyp and it's location. Previously he had shown us a picture and pointed out my appendix scar... This time he said it had infiltrated the appendix area... Which doesn't make sense seeing as colon cancer is a slow developing cancer...
Am I wrong to be thinking like this?
My polyp looked like many polyps mashed together and the visible tops were not really the same...
So an interesting day yesterday :)
Shauna Ryall Christian
Wife, Mom, Grandma
Cardiology Technologist

LPL

Postby LPL » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:07 pm

sryall,
Best of luck on the surgery Jan 16th !
If it was me (or my DH) I would ask/want to see and read the biopsy report! Is it normal at that hospital that it isn’t ready after >1.5 months?!? I live in France and we got my DH’s biopsi report in approximately a week.
Last edited by LPL on Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DH @ 65 DX 4/11/16 CC recto-sigmoid junction
Adenocarcenoma 35x15x9mm G3(biopsi) G1(surgical)
Mets 3 Liver resectable
T4aN1bM1a IVa 2/9 LN
MSS, KRAS-mut G13D
CEA & CA19-9: 5/18 2.5 78 8/17 1.4 48 2/14/17 1.8 29
4 Folfox 6/15-7/30 (b4 liver surgery) 8 after
CT: 8/8 no change 3/27/17 NED->Jan-19 mets to lung NED again Oct-19 :)
:!: Steroid induced hyperglycemia dx after 3chemo
Surgeries 2016: 3/18 Emergency colostomy
5/23 Primary+gallbl+stoma reversal+port 9/1 Liver mets
RFA 2019: Feb & Oct lung mets

sryall

Postby sryall » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:47 pm

I'm not sure. I wonder if he's holding it back? I read on our Health authority web sight and it can take up to 3 weeks.

I did the rate my doctor website and there was nothing but praise for him so that gives me solitude... I would think the small polyps would have been...
Time will tell and I need to have patience... Worry will only add stress...

It's Christmas...
Thank you for the support
Shauna Ryall Christian
Wife, Mom, Grandma
Cardiology Technologist

LPL

Postby LPL » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:12 pm

sryall wrote:
...I did the rate my doctor website and there was nothing but praise for him ..

That is very nice to hear :)
To be treated by a doctor you trust is great.
Probably the time it has taken for the biopsi result is normal and nothing to worry about - your doctor did not sound worried. Sending good vibrations for success.
Again best of luck at your surgery !
DH @ 65 DX 4/11/16 CC recto-sigmoid junction
Adenocarcenoma 35x15x9mm G3(biopsi) G1(surgical)
Mets 3 Liver resectable
T4aN1bM1a IVa 2/9 LN
MSS, KRAS-mut G13D
CEA & CA19-9: 5/18 2.5 78 8/17 1.4 48 2/14/17 1.8 29
4 Folfox 6/15-7/30 (b4 liver surgery) 8 after
CT: 8/8 no change 3/27/17 NED->Jan-19 mets to lung NED again Oct-19 :)
:!: Steroid induced hyperglycemia dx after 3chemo
Surgeries 2016: 3/18 Emergency colostomy
5/23 Primary+gallbl+stoma reversal+port 9/1 Liver mets
RFA 2019: Feb & Oct lung mets

O Stoma Mia

Right hemicolectomy

Postby O Stoma Mia » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:48 am

sryall wrote:I'm scheduled for surgery Jan 16th. The right side will be removed...

Good luck on your surgery.tomorrow.

sryall

Re: Right hemicolectomy

Postby sryall » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:37 pm

O Stoma Mia wrote:Good luck on your surgery.tomorrow

Thank you very much. The truth be told... I had pre-op blood work done... Some for transfusion... And I'm pretty sure they quietly took a vial with my last colonoscopy... I'm guessing the CEA?

I'm praying that my surgeon was correct in saying it doesn't look like cancer... But a 3-5 cm polyp? I haven't Googled anything that really supports that... But there are exceptions!

Thanks for remembering. I really appreciate it.
Shauna Ryall Christian
Wife, Mom, Grandma
Cardiology Technologist

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”