New here. Just found out I have stage 3

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
heiders33

Re: New here. Just found out I have stage 3

Postby heiders33 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:29 am

I asked my nurses about the numbing agent, but they recommended against it because they wanted me to be able to feel if something went wrong with the infusion. I actually didn't need it - there was less pain with the needle than with a regular IV.
40 year-old female
May 2017: Dx rectal cancer T3N2M0
MSS, KRAS G12D
6/17: 28 days chemorad
9/17: LAR/loop ileostomy, CAPOX six rounds
3/18: reversal
9/18: liver met, resection/HAI pump, 11 rounds 5FU, 1 round FUDR
11/19 - local recurrence, brachytherapy, 3 weeks targeted radiation
12/21 - end colostomy

susie0915
Facebook Username: Susan DeGrazia Hostetter

Postby susie0915 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:14 am

I also had 6 rounds of Xelox. I didn't get a port, the nurses looked at my arm at the oncologist office and said she thought I could try with just an IV in the arm. I thought I would try since it was only 6 infusions and there was three weeks in between. I figured if it was a problem I could always get the port. There was only a couple times the nurse had a little trouble getting the IV inserted. I was probably dehydrated. My side effects weren't too bad. I did have first bite syndrome for a couple days after infusion. The first bite you take of food sends a pain from your ear down your jawline, then the next bite is fine. Also some cold sensitivity right after infusions, but it was December-April in Michigan. Diarrhea was an issue as well. Right now I am dealing with neuropathy which really didn't kick in until about a month after I finished treatments. For the most part, I think I handled chemo pretty well. Just be sure to contact your oncologist with any side effects, there are many things they can do with medications and reduction in dosage levels. I hope your port placement goes smoothly, and good luck with your oncology appointment.
58 yrs old Dx @ 55
5/15 DX T3N0MO
6/15 5 wks chemo/rad
7/15 sigmoidoscopy/only scar tissue left
8/15 PET scan NED
9/15 LAR
0/24 nodes
10/15 blockage. surgery,early ileo rev, c-diff inf :(
12/15 6 rds of xelox
5/16 CT lung scarring/inflammation
9/16 clear colonoscopy
4/17 C 4mm lung nod
10/17 pel/abd CT NED
11/17 CEA<.5
1/18 CT/Lung no change in 4mm nodule
5/18 CEA<.5, CT pel/abd/lung NED
11/18 CEA .6
5/19 CT NED, CEA <.5
10/19 Clear colonscopy
11/19 CEA <.5

Hopegirl

Postby Hopegirl » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:59 pm

So tomorrow is the day I will get the port put in. Feeling a little nervous . I hope I won’t have too much pain after . Than Tuesday I see my oncologist to find out when I will start chemo . That’s the one that’s giving me so much anxiety. Ugh it sucks to have anxiety disorder also. Thinking of all the side affects that’s gonna happen . Can someone please tell me about your experiences and who just started on chemo . What are you feeling or how are u feeling . Sorry so many questions . How tired or weak are you . Are you able to drive , clean , cook. Am I gonna be able to take my kids to school or how long does the side affects last . I think I’m doing the xelox . Sorry I’m still learning about this . Thank you

P.s how do I start a new post topic
I’m really not good at this stuff
Diagnosed 10/11/17 at 46 years old . Now 50,4 kids 29, 25, 15, 13
Colon cancer Stage 3b 5/26 lymph nodes positive
Surgery 10/19/17
Cea 0.6 11/15/17
Finished last Xeloda pills 6 cycles 4-10-2018
Did only 3 infusions of oxilaplatin due to bad neuropathy
5-8-2018 Cat Scan clear
5-8-18 Cea 0.6
5-10-18 Port removed
8-7-2018 Cea 0.7
11-13-2018 Clear Scan
11-13-2018 Cea 1.4
12-11-2018 Clean colonoscopy
3-13-2019 Cea 0.8
7-19-2019 Clean scan
7-19-2019 Cea 0.7
1-14-2020 Cea 0.5 :D
Pray for NED Always

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:27 pm

Hopegirl.....

go here:
viewforum.php?f=1

Right above ANNOUNCEMENTS....left hand side, near the top, you'll see NEW TOPIC
Click on that.....and start a new topic.
Give your topic a title
then start typing what you want into the body of the post.
Since you are new, your topic/post will have to be moderated.
One of us will see it and moderate your post.

Pretty simple.
Let me know if you need more help.
weisssoccermom (one of the mods)
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

heiders33

Postby heiders33 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:43 am

Good luck today, Hopegirl! I hope the port placement is smooth and easy for you, as it should be.

As to your other questions, I can only speak for myself, as everyone experiences side effects to different degrees. I take the infusion day off completely, and then I work from home the next four days. I am fortunate that I have a generous work policy where I can work from home and take extended sick leave days so I don't use up vacation. Honestly, I am not good for much for those five days, beyond typing on my computer and doing basic things like showering. I am extremely fortunate to have people around me to take care of meals and cleaning during those days. Do you have anyone who can help you, perhaps with driving the kids to school, and with making sure you are getting proper meals? It is so much better, both mentally and physically, to have someone. If you're not able to, I won't say that those things aren't doable (although I don't think I could drive very well given my cold sensitivity). If you wear gloves and slippers around the house and stay on top of your anti-nausea drugs, you should be fine. However, as my onc says, this is the most important thing you will be doing for the next few months. Having someone else around to take care of other things helps me to focus on recovery.
40 year-old female
May 2017: Dx rectal cancer T3N2M0
MSS, KRAS G12D
6/17: 28 days chemorad
9/17: LAR/loop ileostomy, CAPOX six rounds
3/18: reversal
9/18: liver met, resection/HAI pump, 11 rounds 5FU, 1 round FUDR
11/19 - local recurrence, brachytherapy, 3 weeks targeted radiation
12/21 - end colostomy

horizon

Postby horizon » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:05 pm

Hopegirl wrote:So tomorrow is the day I will get the port put in. Feeling a little nervous . I hope I won’t have too much pain after . Than Tuesday I see my oncologist to find out when I will start chemo . That’s the one that’s giving me so much anxiety. Ugh it sucks to have anxiety disorder also. Thinking of all the side affects that’s gonna happen . Can someone please tell me about your experiences and who just started on chemo . What are you feeling or how are u feeling . Sorry so many questions . How tired or weak are you . Are you able to drive , clean , cook. Am I gonna be able to take my kids to school or how long does the side affects last . I think I’m doing the xelox . Sorry I’m still learning about this .

I was really scared about starting chemo (xelox). I was more worried about it than the surgery. You're already doing one thing better than I did by getting a port. My first infusion started badly because they couldn't get an IV started after multiple failed attempts and I *hate* needles. The port was a lifesaver for me. Everyone reacts differently so one person's experience might not match yours. I would get an infusion on Wed, work from home Thurs and Fri, and Monday I was back at work and back at the gym. The actual process of getting an infusion is boring as hell. Lots and lots of sitting. Once I got one under my belt and the fear of the unknown was gone it was better for me tackling it. I had lots of symptoms (first bite pain, cold sensitivity, some hand/foot) but I was really lucky in that they were frustrating but manageable.
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 12 years NED). Is this real life?

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”