CEA and thyroid

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
dianetavegia
Facebook Username: Diane Weldy Tavegia

CEA and thyroid

Postby dianetavegia » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:35 am

While searching for a reason for my CEA to have risen to 5.8, I found an article about hypothyroid and false elevations in CEA. I asked my onc for thyroid testing and the results came back that I do have an under active thyroid. I can't get in to see a doctor for over a month so have asked my oncologist to start me on the med. The papers said it takes 4 to 9 months for the CEA to return to your norm AFTER your thyroid is under control.

I have a lung CT and MRI of abdomen and pelvis on 11/21 with results the next day. PRAYING it's just my thyroid causing this rise and not anything else.

If you have an elevated CEA and no cancer is found, ask for a thyroid check. Also, there are a number of papers on this so push your doctor. Mine had no idea but I had taken the article to him.

Elevated concentration of serum carcinoembryonic antigen in hypothyroidism

In this case-report we describe two patients with hypothyroidism and increased carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA) serum concentration. CEA serum concentrations reverted almost completely to the normal range values after the patients were given the hormonal replacement therapy with L-thyroxine. Although the association of hypothyroidism with elevated CEA serum concentrations has been already reported in the literature, hypothyroidism is usually disregarded when a physician is facing with a patient with increased CEA levels. On the contrary, our data suggest that hypothyroidism should be taken into account in the diagnostic work-up of these patients, such as smoking, cholestasis, impaired liver function, chronic inflammatory bronchial and bowel disease.
Stage III cc surgery 1/7/09. 12 tx FOLFOX
Stage IV PET = 1.5cm liver met. HR 4/11/12

14 years since dx and 11 years post liver resection.
Pronounced CURED and discharged by onc

“O Lord my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me.” Psalms 30:2

Detox

Re: CEA and thyroid

Postby Detox » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:41 pm

Happy to hear that your getting your scans next week, just for the sake of peace of mind.

I'm still optimistic you'll be fine as the circumstantial evidence is in your favor after being NED for so long.

dianetavegia

Postby dianetavegia » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:41 pm

Yeah, Detox. My onc had said six months ago that to be 8 plus years out with only one met 5 years ago would put me at about a 1 % chance of having a recurrence. He also felt that because of my age, I'd not live long enough to develop cancer from my umpteen dozen CT's, MRI's, PET scans.

I can't get in with a regular doctor until mid December and my onc ignored my phone call/ email asking if he'd start me on a low dose thyroid med so we can see if that brings my CEA down.

Scans are a week from today. I'm not anxious this time! It might start later, but this is a first for me.

Jan. 7th 2018 will be 9 years since my original surgery. April 11, 2018 will be six years since my oligo/ metrochronus solitary met was removed along with 80% of my liver and no follow up chemo. I would LOVE to make it that far and be pronounced cured.

lpas

Postby lpas » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:10 pm

Thinking of you, Diane. Keeping fingers, toes and everything else crossed that this turns out to be nothing!
11/14 Dx sigmoid CC @ 45yo
12/14 Colectomy + hysterectomy
Stage IIIB, T3N1bM0, 2/20 nodes, MSS, G2, KRAS(A146T), TP53, SMAD4, ERBB2, CEA 1.0
2/15-7/15 XELOX & celecoxib
2/19 clean scope
11/19 clean CT
Ongoing cimetidine & other targeted supplements
Mom to a 6 & 8yo

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:57 am

Diane...I can understand why your onc won't start you on a thyroid medication. Just because your blood levels are low, most docs want to know WHY your thyroid is low. Do you Hashimoto's or something else? When I was dxd with Hashimoto's, it was after many blood tests and a nuclear scan of my thyroid. The endocrinologist wanted to know just exactly what he was dealing with. There are many reasons for an underactive thyroid....the most common being an automimmune problem like Hashimoto's but certain medications can cause an underactive thyroid, as can a temporary inflammation of the thyroid. You may or may not have a goiter....not all are noticeable.

Just like we don't want a surgeon to Rx chemo, I personally wouldn't want an oncologist prescribing thyroid medication. After years of seeing an endocrinologist for my condition (I have been diagnosed for well over 30 years), my GP regulates my dosage. You don't just Rx a low dose....thyroid medication needs to be tweaked to each individual. Metabolism, weight, condition, etc. all have to be taken into consideration. In addition, the brand names and the generics (for example, Synthroid (brand) and levoxyl (generic)) may have the same formulation but can react differently with the same person. Every year, I have my levels tested and almost always, my dosage is changed. Losing/gaining weight can have an impact on your medication dosage. I've become very astute at knowing if and when my thyroid medication needs adjusting.....sometimes it is just the most minutest of change....but it's evident to me. My meds had to be adjusted while I was on chemo....not sure why but the chemo had its effect on everything....including my thyroid.

I know its hard but please wait until the doctor who has more experience with the thyroid can see you and possibly run more tests to determine exactly what you are dealing with.
Good luck with your scans. It isn't too much longer until they are done.
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

MissMolly

Postby MissMolly » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:56 am

Diane:
I echo Weissoccermom’s advice and comments.

While I can appreciate your over-riding focus on your CEA value and wanting to see the CEA score lower to normal range, adding thyroid replacement is a more delicate and complex science than calling your oncologist to prescribe a low dose of thyroid medication.

There are two different manifestations of low thyroid function: a. Central (pituitary gland based); and b. Secondary or Hashimoto’s (auto-immune thyroid based).

I have central hypothyroidism (thyroid failure due to pituitary failure). Treatment for central hypothyroidism is different than for secondary hypothyroidism. Why your thyroid is underperforming is important to diagnosis in order to know which thyroid replacement options are appropriate for you.

There are several different thyroid replacement medications, each with a different mechanism of action and effect on free T3 and free T4 serum levels. Because the thyroid communicates with other endocrine glands based on serum blood levels and feedback loops, it is important to have a knowledgeable endocrinologist make an assessment. There are downstream effects as one begins to treat a low performing thyroid gland.

Do not rush into instigating a thyroid replacement medication. The endocrine system plays a vital role across in the physiology of ALL of the body’s organs and body systems. Take the time necessary to consult with an endocrinologist.
Karen
Dear friend to Bella Piazza, former Colon Club member (NWGirl).
I have a permanent ileostomy and offer advice on living with an ostomy - in loving remembrance of Bella
I am on Palliative Care for broad endocrine failure + Addison's disease + osteonecrosis of both hips/jaw + immunosuppression. I live a simple life due to frail health.

lpas

Postby lpas » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:04 am

dianetavegia wrote:While searching for a reason for my CEA to have risen to 5.8, I found an article about hypothyroid and false elevations in CEA. I asked my onc for thyroid testing and the results came back that I do have an under active thyroid. I can't get in to see a doctor for over a month so have asked my oncologist to start me on the med. The papers said it takes 4 to 9 months for the CEA to return to your norm AFTER your thyroid is under control.

I have a lung CT and MRI of abdomen and pelvis on 11/21 with results the next day. PRAYING it's just my thyroid causing this rise and not anything else.

If you have an elevated CEA and no cancer is found, ask for a thyroid check. Also, there are a number of papers on this so push your doctor. Mine had no idea but I had taken the article to him.

Best of luck today, Diane--you are in my thoughts. Please let us know how it goes.
Stage IIIB, T3N1bM0, 2/20 nodes, MSS, G2, KRAS(A146T), TP53, SMAD4, ERBB2, CEA 1.0
2/19 clean scope
11/19 clean CT
Mom to a 6 & 8yo

Detox

Postby Detox » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:46 am

Hope your scans are all clear and you can breathe a sigh of relief.

dianetavegia

Postby dianetavegia » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:51 pm

Scans were all good news. NED!!! I’ll have another set in 6 months and we’ll see if my CEA has gone back to normal then move to yearly. I’ll see a new doctor for my thyroid on December 16th. The doctor ran some other tests that I know nothing about but one included parathyroid. All were normal.

Detox

Postby Detox » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:59 pm

SWEET!!! Knew you were gonna be fine considering you've been NED for so long.

Now you can take it easy and enjoy the holidays..

susie0915
Facebook Username: Susan DeGrazia Hostetter

Postby susie0915 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:06 pm

Good News. Have a Happy Thanksgiving
58 yrs old Dx @ 55
5/15 DX T3N0MO
6/15 5 wks chemo/rad
7/15 sigmoidoscopy/only scar tissue left
8/15 PET scan NED
9/15 LAR
0/24 nodes
10/15 blockage. surgery,early ileo rev, c-diff inf :(
12/15 6 rds of xelox
5/16 CT lung scarring/inflammation
9/16 clear colonoscopy
4/17 C 4mm lung nod
10/17 pel/abd CT NED
11/17 CEA<.5
1/18 CT/Lung no change in 4mm nodule
5/18 CEA<.5, CT pel/abd/lung NED
11/18 CEA .6
5/19 CT NED, CEA <.5
10/19 Clear colonscopy
11/19 CEA <.5

zx10guy

Postby zx10guy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:15 pm

This is good news.

I'll be creating a separate topic about high CEA and my year long challenge.

lpas

Postby lpas » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:25 pm

Yay!!! So happy for you!
2/19 clean scope
11/19 clean CT
Mom to a 6 & 8yo

Robino1
Facebook Username: Robin.lawthers

Postby Robino1 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:55 am

Great news! Enjoy a very thankful Thanksgiving! :)
At 54 2014 1st colonoscopy colon cancer detect
Colon resect margins clear. No chemo Stage II
Distend abd, pain in intestines.
CT scan seeding & Ascites
Lap diag - cancer on the omentum
CEA 217; 219
FOLFOX started 6/17
CEA 202
8/29/17 CT melting of tumor.
Latest CT scan shows 2 new tumors and return of ascites.
CEA: (2017)9/30 -109; 10/12 -99.1; 11/4 -90.7; 11/30 -70.7; 12/14 -83.4; (2018)1/4 -73.3; 2/1-84.2; 89.2; 89.8; 88.5; 81.8: 93.5; 107; 119
BRAF V600e

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”