Results of PET scan and questions about the liver!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Achilles Torn

Re: Results of PET scan and questions about the liver!

Postby Achilles Torn » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:29 pm

I'm sorry to hear about the stage IV diagnosis. It is far more likely that the PET scan picked up what the other scans did not (rather than rapid growth). I am a PET scan believer as my mets were only diagnosed via PET.

Being confirmed as stage IV means that he will get the most aggressive treatment and the most comprehensive surveillance (scans + bloodwork). While its tough to hear it is far better the sooner Stage IV is identified, rather than being incorrectly staged at III.

For both liver and lung mets there are treatment options which have led to long term NED in a not insignificant number of patients. While it is devastating you are at a point where there is every reason to hope for a good outcome.

Hope that helps
AT
Diagnosed as 40 yo Male. BC Canada. Sigmoid Colectomy Dec. 2016
Pathology T3N2bM1 19 of 24 Nodes Positive + tumour deposits
PET scan - Para-Aortic and Iliac Lymph node spread. Stage VI.
Moderately differentiated. MSS. KRAS/BRAF Wild.
Mutations: TP53, ERBB4, MLL3, PDCD1LG2, PRKDC, SMAD3
FOLFOX + Bevacizumab Commenced Jan 9/2017 PET Scan July 2017 - on maintenance 5FU/Bev every 2 weeks.
Progression after Covid19 induced break June 2020. Resume Maintenance chemo of Capecitabine and Bev

prayingof3

Postby prayingof3 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:16 pm

Thank you so much! Your post is so encouraging! I'm still really in shock a little from all of this. Trying so hard to remain positive though for my husband and our family.
Caregiver to husband age 49-stage IV
09/17: Colonoscopy and mass found at rectal sigmoid junction partial obstruction
10/17: Laparoscopic LAR surgery
10/17: Pathologic staging from surgery pT4a N1c with 4 tumor deposits, perineural invasion present,14/14 lymph nodes negative, clear margins, moderately-differentiated
11/17: PET scan performed-lesions found in liver and lungs
11/17: Met confirmed to liver
11/17: Restaged to stage IV
11/17: Started FOLFOX-Avastin
12/17: Confirmed KRAS G12V

Lee

Postby Lee » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:34 pm

Achilles Torn wrote:I'm sorry to hear about the stage IV diagnosis. It is far more likely that the PET scan picked up what the other scans did not (rather than rapid growth). I am a PET scan believer as my mets were only diagnosed via PET.

Being confirmed as stage IV means that he will get the most aggressive treatment and the most comprehensive surveillance (scans + bloodwork). While its tough to hear it is far better the sooner Stage IV is identified, rather than being incorrectly staged at III.

For both liver and lung mets there are treatment options which have led to long term NED in a not insignificant number of patients. While it is devastating you are at a point where there is every reason to hope for a good outcome.

Hope that helps
AT

Ditto, to what AT said. Yes there is still hope. KNOW there are many options available today that were not available as of 5 yrs ago. Find the best team that will treat your husband aggressively. Know that you will find information and support here. Know that you are not alone, we have your back.

(((hugs to you and your DH)))

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

prayingof3

Postby prayingof3 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:39 pm

Thanks Lee!
Caregiver to husband age 49-stage IV
09/17: Colonoscopy and mass found at rectal sigmoid junction partial obstruction
10/17: Laparoscopic LAR surgery
10/17: Pathologic staging from surgery pT4a N1c with 4 tumor deposits, perineural invasion present,14/14 lymph nodes negative, clear margins, moderately-differentiated
11/17: PET scan performed-lesions found in liver and lungs
11/17: Met confirmed to liver
11/17: Restaged to stage IV
11/17: Started FOLFOX-Avastin
12/17: Confirmed KRAS G12V

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”