I did it!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
sun569OH

I did it!

Postby sun569OH » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:49 pm

Hi. I joined here a little over a year ago, and had been diagnosed with colon cancer. I came here for support as I was scared, and lost, and confused, etc. Most of you that are on here know exactly how you felt when you heard those words..you have cancer! Your entire world changes!

I wanted to update you all, since I have not been on here since a little after introducing myself, and asking a few questions, which was about 8-27-16. I did end up having surgery 8-28-17 because my red blood count dropped dramatically, and I was feeling very worn out. It was time to get the tumor out of my body. Surgery went very well.

I have been since been labeled stage IIa colon cancer, which does not require chemo, which I would have opted out of anyways.

They removed a total of 25 lymph nodes which all showed no inflammation, nor did any of them show any cancer cells.

The only reason I am coming back here after a year is to tell of my story, of taking many natural supplements, drinking organic herbal teas, and eating a whole food diet. I beat cancer by doing so! When I came on this forum to have a support from other cancer patients that could give me help, encouragement, and guidance. Instead what I got was ridiculed and told that anyone that went the natural route is dead!!! Now, for a person just diagnosed with cancer, hearing that made me even more scared, but my faith prevailed, and I left this forum that night not to return until now to say that is not true. This forum did a huge disservice to me, and I am sure many others out there that just needed help. The natural way did help me, helped me so much that I don't have to have chemo. I still have to keep up what I was doing but the prognosis I was given is a 95% survival rate 5 yrs post opt surgery!

I found help, encouragement in other places, and the person that said those cruel words to me, should be banned from this site! I am a cancer survivor! I did it! Anyone out there don't give up, and yes natural supplements do work, with lifestyle changes also, but if you have faith in yourself, and are willing, it is possible! Good luck to all that are suffering, I did not come on here to rub anything in anyone's face, but to tell many that may come here looking for advice, it can be a solution for you as it was for me!

It won't surprise me if my post is taken down for expressing my opinions, and my ideas, but I hope not! Again, good luck to all of you that are suffering. Thanks for listening. SG

Maddielolo

Re: I did it!

Postby Maddielolo » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:23 pm

SG,

Very glad to hear that you are currently cancer free. Here’s to staying there!

Second, you did not cure cancer naturally. You were stage II and rightly had surgery to remove your primary tumor. You had your colon cancer surgically removed, not cured naturally. As the American Cancer Association says clearly on their website “Surgery to remove the section of the colon containing the cancer along with nearby lymph nodes (partial colectomy) may be the only treatment needed.” Now some patients, who are higher risk, may demand additional treatment (chemo, although doctors debate this for stage II) and/or closer monitoring.

It is great that you also changed your diet and lifestyle. Had you framed your advice to patients as simply getting tumors quickly removed surgically when possible and living healthy, I’m sure you’d get nothing but support. But stage, aggressiveness, genetic testing and a variety of other factors should play a part in all patients’ treatment analysis (and certainly doctors).

Robino1
Facebook Username: Robin.lawthers

Postby Robino1 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:58 am

I had surgery to remove my cancer. It was the right ascending portion. Also stage II. I did not need chemo but wish now that I had done it. The resection was done in 2014. My recurrance was almost 3 years to the day.

Not having chemo after is my only regret in life.

I'm now stage IV and fighting for my life. I will prevail, there is no other option. I'm doing chemo and also some of the things that you are advocating but I would not trust just supplements, organic, green tea etc... to 'cure' me. I do believe that in conjunction with chemo it can help me.

As you can see by my signature, it is working.

I do hope what you are doing will keep the cancer from recurring. Some people are very lucky that all they did need was the one surgery. I truly hope you are one of the lucky ones.
At 54 2014 1st colonoscopy colon cancer detect
Colon resect margins clear. No chemo Stage II
Distend abd, pain in intestines.
CT scan seeding & Ascites
Lap diag - cancer on the omentum
CEA 217; 219
FOLFOX started 6/17
CEA 202
8/29/17 CT melting of tumor.
Latest CT scan shows 2 new tumors and return of ascites.
CEA: (2017)9/30 -109; 10/12 -99.1; 11/4 -90.7; 11/30 -70.7; 12/14 -83.4; (2018)1/4 -73.3; 2/1-84.2; 89.2; 89.8; 88.5; 81.8: 93.5; 107; 119
BRAF V600e

Swirdfish

Postby Swirdfish » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:06 am

Then why did you even have the surgery in the first place.. :cry:
06/2016 Went in for colonoscopy came out with a tumor. Age 35
12cm from verge at junction. Rectal cancer.
Clinical stage T3 NO MO
Temp illestomy
Completed 5FU and Radiation
LAR surgery planned 13 Oct 2016
Completed ULAR surgery 11-10-2016.
0/22 nodes
pT3 N0 M0 R1
Stage 2A

Pathology reviewed and changed
ypT3 N0 M0 R0

Started folfox 21-11-2016
5-4-17 NED
Reversal 12-4-17

Bina

Postby Bina » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:12 am

I don't think anyone doubts that diet is a big part of helping your body fight cancer. BUT, even at stage 3, doctors tell you that surgery alone might be curative. Chemo at that point is just a back up, to prevent recurrence. So, there's a huge chance that at stage 2, you were cured by surgery alone. However, to tell people with advanced disease that they probably shouldn't do chemo is just misleading. When the disease has spread to distant organs, surgery and chemo become huge factors for survival. I think you might have some of the facts mixed up. I am happy though that you have done well and are cancer free.
1/16- DX w/ Stage 3A CC @ 26 F; surgery & treatment@MSK
2/16- Colon resection; 2/19 positive LN
3/16-8/16- FOLFOX/FLOX
8/16- Dad diagnosed w/ Stage 2A (surgery only); Shock & confusion; genetics testing: negative for Lynch & no genetic connection found
9/16- Clear CT/colonoscopy
10/17- New spot on liver seen on CT scan; 1.0 CEA
11/17- Follow up MRI; 2 subcentimeter spots; too small to characterize; "suggestive of cysts"; plan is to wait & scan again in Feb

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:46 am

SG, the reason you're cancer free is because your surgeon removed it.

Whether your diet and supplements will help prevent a recurrence is another matter. Possible, butt difficult to prove.
female, diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

mypinkheaven
Facebook Username: Sally Cunningham

Postby mypinkheaven » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:05 am

sun569OH wrote:
I have been since been labeled stage IIa colon cancer, which does not require chemo, which I would have opted out of anyways.

The only reason I am coming back here after a year is to tell of my story, of taking many natural supplements, drinking organic herbal teas, and eating a whole food diet. I beat cancer by doing so!

SG

I sincerely hope you are right, SG. IIa can be a little tricky.

You must have used a different username when you first came to this forum since the search shows only 1 post (this one) from you, so I can't address what was said to you in 2015.
MSS, KRAS Wild NRAS Mutated
9/2012 CRC IIB Lft Colectomy 0 lymph nodes 0 Chemo
10/2013 CT clear
11/15 CEA 2.7 to 4.6
11/15 Spread to uterus. Hysterectomy
2/16 Pelvic radiation 25, brachytherapy 3
4/16 - 6/16 Xeloda
6/16 CT Several lung nodules 5 mm
8/16 CT Nodules still present. Most stable. Some growth
11/16 Transfer to UCSD Moores
12/16 Folfox + Avastin failed
2/17 Folfiri + Erbitux
8/17 5FU+Erbitux No 5FU bolus
7/18 Spread to vagina
6/18 Folfiri + Avastin + Trametinib
6/18 CEA dropping

CaliforniaBagMan

Postby CaliforniaBagMan » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:07 am

Very impressive story. But I have a question.

All surgery exposes a patient to risk, due to use of anesthesia, and more. Do you regret having your surgery, and exposing yourself to those risks, considering that you cured yourself with diet?
CT guided biopsy on mass - still NED !!!
CT scan finds new 2x3cm mass on 10/09
APR surgery 11/07; NED thereafter
Folfox/radiation 9/07-10/07
DX Stage III rectal cancer 7/07

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:25 pm

sun569OH wrote: . . . .Anyone out there don't give up, and yes natural supplements do work, with lifestyle changes also, but if you have faith in yourself, and are willing, it is possible!

Count your blessings. I KNEW 2 people personally who tried it with "natural supplements". One was a stage I, no surgery or chemo until she was a stage IV with tumor blocking her 100%. They had to give her a colostomy (they never did remove the tumor), she died a few months later. If she had opted for surgery when first diagnosed, 95% survival rate. That "natural supplement" route actually killed her.

The other was a stage II, she had surgery butt opted for natural supplements vs chemo. She too died.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”