After-Chemo NOT "walking on sunshine"

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
CAGirl

After-Chemo NOT "walking on sunshine"

Postby CAGirl » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:54 pm

Hi Guys,
Boy, I'm 5-weeks done with my 12-rounds of Folfox, and my emotions are all over the place.
I guess I'm "processing" now that I'm no longer focused on treatment/surgery/getting through chemo.
So glad to be done with infusions, but I am struggling with the uncertainty of life and next steps for me, etc. Kind of like an existential crisis -- which probably happens to many 46-year-olds, anyway -- but this cancer-thing sure does wallop you upside the head.
In another post, someone said there's a lot of ups and downs, and I guess I just wanted to say it continues and ask the longer-term folks if they went through this, too.
I've already been doing tons of therapeutic stuff throughout -- therapy, sound bowl therapy, yoga, meditation (not as regularly as I should), walks, dance, etc. -- and will continue to do so, but I'm trying to figure out what's gonna make me happy on a daily basis (besides focusing on the kids)...
Dx 2/2017, age 45, 2 kids: 6 yrs & 3 yrs
History of Crohn's disease - dx in 1997; in remission, thus no colonoscopy in over 10 years
Anemia dx 11/16: GI doc assured me "the likelihood of colon cancer" was "very low".
Stage 3C - T3N2b
8/64 lymph nodes; clear margins surgery 3/17
12 cycles of Folfox 4/17-9/17
3-month CT scan midway through chemo, no changes
2-3-mo CT scan post chemo 11/17 slightly larger lung nod (incr. from 7mm to 8 or 9mm)
CT scan 3/18 - NED
clear CT scan 1/2019 NED

NedPlease

Re: After-Chemo NOT "walking on sunshine"

Postby NedPlease » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:36 pm

So very normal. Some depression (and at the very least anxiety and confusion) post treatment is real.

Think about it. You've been in a war of sorts. You're aware and trying out different coping strategies. Plain old distraction of any kind (exercise, painting, reading..) is basically the key for me. Thinking I should, I've yet to volunteer in the hospital but PTSD might be keeping me away. Surviving cancer (knock on wood) is still sinking in.

The point is I'm still figuring it out. I'm happy and productive but I still have looming cancer thoughts despite my fortunate NED status and probably always will. Guess it's - as much as I hate to say it- a "new normal".

Best to you,
N
F-54- St 4- Ascend Colon, 2 Liver mets, Poorly dif, Mutant
6/10- Folfox
9/10- R Liver Resect/Colon/Gall/Appendix
11/10-3/11- Folfox
11/11- R Lung, 1 met, VATS
3/12- 9/12- Xeloda
2/12- 6/18 Clear Scans
6/19- first time no scan
Today- NED

susie0915
Facebook Username: Susan DeGrazia Hostetter

Postby susie0915 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:55 pm

I'm 18 months out of treatment and there is not a day that goes by I don't think about my dx. Most days are pretty good but there are times when I'm alone I tear up just thinking about my year of treatments. Dealing with some of the side effects from surgery and chemo doesn't help. I did meet with an oncology counselor to talk and that was helpful. We are so used to focusing on our treatment and fighting this disease we're not prepared to handle emotions when we're done. Not as many Dr appointments, chemo sessions, and blood draws to focus on. Just our thoughts. Staying busy helps but cancer is always in my head. Good Luck. It will get better, but can't say it's ever totally out of your head.
58 yrs old Dx @ 55
5/15 DX T3N0MO
6/15 5 wks chemo/rad
7/15 sigmoidoscopy/only scar tissue left
8/15 PET scan NED
9/15 LAR
0/24 nodes
10/15 blockage. surgery,early ileo rev, c-diff inf :(
12/15 6 rds of xelox
5/16 CT lung scarring/inflammation
9/16 clear colonoscopy
4/17 C 4mm lung nod
10/17 pel/abd CT NED
11/17 CEA<.5
1/18 CT/Lung no change in 4mm nodule
5/18 CEA<.5, CT pel/abd/lung NED
11/18 CEA .6
5/19 CT NED, CEA <.5
10/19 Clear colonscopy
11/19 CEA <.5

O Stoma Mia

Postby O Stoma Mia » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:36 pm

There's a 46 page NCCN booklet on "Distress" and how to deal with it. You might want to read it to see if there is anything there that might be of help to you.

https://www.nccn.org/patients/guidelines/distress/index.html

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”