Tough recovery post LAP surgery :-(

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
ocstacy
Facebook Username: stacy

Tough recovery post LAP surgery :-(

Postby ocstacy » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:48 am

Wanted to reach out. My mom isn't doing well with recovery at home . Today I almost took her in to the E.R as she said her pain was a level 9 and
She has little energy and no appetite :-( She was doing better at the hospital with pain control than at home because the nurses were on top of it. At home, I can't be with her 24/7 so she opts out for the meds at times then your pain escalates. Today, she became a little dehydrated so I gave her Gatorade and that seem to help a little. I called the Dr. "on call" and he suggested if she keeps feeling worst, take her in. I ended up watching her over night very carefully and she was fine.

My mom wanted me to reach out to you and ask some question:

1.) How long did it take for you to recover from LAP surgery
2.) what really helped with your post pain besides drugs
3.) She keeps complaining how big her abdomen is . Maybe possible hernia? Just thought I'd ask some questions as I'm concerned. I know that it takes a long time to recover from surgery and don't expect her to bounce back right away. I guess I am just worried. Any advice would be AWESOME!

Exhausted caregiver,

Stacy
Last edited by ocstacy on Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Caregiver/daughter to dear mother age 78, dx 5/09/17 because of me!! :wink:
Rectal CA Stage 3 low-grade adenocarcinoma- 6 cm
Neoadjuvant start 7/10/17 ended 08/16/17
3D Lap. surgery @ Keck USC, Dr. Sang Lee 10/17/17 temp ileostomy
11/1 hospitalized abscess/hernia - home 11/06/17 antibiotics
NO LYMPHS INVOLVED! NEAR PATHOLOGICAL RESPONSE! YAY! :shock:
Took her last chemo med 05/10/18! Ileo reversal 07/24/18
1st BM after reversal 07/25/18 Anal Fissure 8/15/18
Me:1st Colonoscopy age 38. 08/17 Benign polp.

KimT

Re: Tough recovery post LAP surgery :-(

Postby KimT » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:23 am

I was 31 at the time of my first resection and my recovery was awful. In my experience as patient and a nurse, it is better to take the pain medicine around the clock for the first week or so after surgery. When pain gets to a 9, it can be difficult to get it under control. But take some colace with the pain meds as they are constipating. Try some gas tablets. She might have a lot of air in her guts and that is painful. Have her up and about walking as much as possible to help pass the gas. I would take her in if she starts vomiting, or is unable to pass gas or have a bowel movement. But try the pain meds as directed around the clock and see if that helps. Also she can take over the counter ibuprofen with the narcotic pain medicine.

I hope she is feeling better soon.
2/10 dx colon cancer
right hemicolectomy 3/19/10
Stage 2a 0/43 nodes
Lynch syndrome
3/14/10 colon resection/ removal of metal clips
Nov 11 dx ovarian cancer

Tdubz

Postby Tdubz » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:17 am

I had a lot of pain after my surgery as well. I had thought it was gas pain and it was so bad I could hardly move, but I noticed if I stretched out it would feel a bit better. Turns out it was my abdominal muscles cramping up really bad. The surgeon gave me Valium to relax my muscles and the pain was gone.

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:37 pm

KimT wrote: . . . Also she can take over the counter ibuprofen with the narcotic pain medicine.

I hope she is feeling better soon.

I agree with the ibuprofen (or Motrin). I worked it out with my surgeon prior to my surgery I would take a higher dose of Motrin than normal (and no presc pain meds) when I was discharged from the hospital. For me this is the wonder drug. Get the swelling down, for me that reduces the pain. For your mom, regular dose with pain meds.

Yes walking is very important. Yes it hurts especially in the beginning, but it really does help with the healing process. I suspect too she probably still has gas in her, thus walking is even more important. Make sure she understand how important walking is right now. Butt also make sure she has pains medicine in her system prior to walking. Plan the walking around her pain medicine schedule.

Make sure she does NOT get dehydrated, that will put her back in the hospital with other issues going on.

Is she on a special diet? I would highly recommend a "low fiber diet" for the next several weeks. Also Ensure on a daily bases until she gets over this pain hump.

Hope she is doing better soon.

Lee

P.S. Edit to add this. Maybe the BRAT diet might help "Bananas, Rice, Apple, Toast".
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”