Possible hernia post surgery?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
ocstacy
Facebook Username: stacy

Possible hernia post surgery?

Postby ocstacy » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:07 pm

Hi all,

Did anyone experience getting a hernia after laparoscopic colectomy surgery? I was hoping that my mother would be home by now but she is staying longer due to her condition. Her hospital is about an hour away so I will be seeing her tomorrow. The nurse mentioned something about her possibly having a hernia. I feel so bad for my mom, as it's her first surgery in her life. She was feeling very well on day 2, walking around and getting ready to come home. She realized that when she stopped the narcotics that is when her pain level got to a 9 and I mentioned to her that Tylenol is not strong enough for the surgery pain. Now she is taking Oxycontin (Percocet) for Pain as needed and her pain is more managed. It looks like she will stay again tomorrow night. I will have a conference call tomorrow with her surgeon. I hope that he will order an X-ray and U/S just to see what is going on in there. I know the hospital is where she should be right now, just worried about the bulge. I understand that surgery takes awhile to heal, but I am also very concerned. :?
. PS) she has a temp ileostomy, and has a c-section incision that is 3 inches below naval, and two small circular incisions on each side of the naval. I believe they went through her belly button too.
Last edited by ocstacy on Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caregiver/daughter to dear mother age 78, dx 5/09/17 because of me!! :wink:
Rectal CA Stage 3 low-grade adenocarcinoma- 6 cm
Neoadjuvant start 7/10/17 ended 08/16/17
3D Lap. surgery @ Keck USC, Dr. Sang Lee 10/17/17 temp ileostomy
11/1 hospitalized abscess/hernia - home 11/06/17 antibiotics
NO LYMPHS INVOLVED! NEAR PATHOLOGICAL RESPONSE! YAY! :shock:
Took her last chemo med 05/10/18! Ileo reversal 07/24/18
1st BM after reversal 07/25/18 Anal Fissure 8/15/18
Me:1st Colonoscopy age 38. 08/17 Benign polp.

Lee

Re: Possible hernia post surgery?

Postby Lee » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:18 pm

ocstacy wrote:Hi all,
. . . just worried about the bulge. I understand that surgery takes awhile to heal, but I am also very concerned. :?
. PS) she has a temp ileostomy, and has a c-section incision that is 3 inches, two on the side of her belly button, and I believe they went through her belly button too.

Could the bulge be due to gas (still in her body) as a result of surgery. I have hernia around my stoma, there is NO pain, so when you talk of a pain level 9, I'm wondering if something else is going on. Maybe that very gas could be the culprit for her pain. Do follow up with Dr.(s).

Good luck,

Lee

P.S. My hernia is due to power walking. Had surgery in 2014 to correct a very large hernia, my current hernia is very small and I wear a special belt (for people who have bags). Because I know of them (hernia), I know I have one. Butt even with a very large hernia, there was NO pain.
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

ocstacy
Facebook Username: stacy

Re: Possible hernia post surgery?

Postby ocstacy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:00 am

Could the bulge be due to gas (still in her body) as a result of surgery. I have hernia around my stoma, there is NO pain, so when you talk of a pain level 9, I'm wondering if something else is going on. Maybe that very gas could be the culprit for her pain. Do follow up with Dr.(s).

Hi Lee,

The pain level of 9 is when my mom declined taking the narcotic. The pain escalated from there. She thought the Tylenol would manage her pain, but obviously it did not. My mom is afraid of narcotics because her sister had a complication at the hospital and ended in bad news. Now that she is taking the Oxy as needed, her pain level has gone down tremendously thank goodness. I remember taking those after my C-section giving birth. I had to take them for a couple of week after surgery as it was the only med that helped with the pain. I also had no appetite as so does my mother.

I will be talking to the Dr. tomorrow to see what his thoughts are. I would like to request for them to do an U/S and X-ray too. I think the bulge is right around the stoma too but not too sure. I haven't seen her in two days. It all started within the last 24-48 hours. I know this is a big surgery so I don't imagine her to heal in no time but just weird how this allhappened in a matter of 24 hours. :(
Caregiver/daughter to dear mother age 78, dx 5/09/17 because of me!! :wink:
Rectal CA Stage 3 low-grade adenocarcinoma- 6 cm
Neoadjuvant start 7/10/17 ended 08/16/17
3D Lap. surgery @ Keck USC, Dr. Sang Lee 10/17/17 temp ileostomy
11/1 hospitalized abscess/hernia - home 11/06/17 antibiotics
NO LYMPHS INVOLVED! NEAR PATHOLOGICAL RESPONSE! YAY! :shock:
Took her last chemo med 05/10/18! Ileo reversal 07/24/18
1st BM after reversal 07/25/18 Anal Fissure 8/15/18
Me:1st Colonoscopy age 38. 08/17 Benign polp.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”