Curious about "maintenance"

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Faithandpeace

Curious about "maintenance"

Postby Faithandpeace » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:12 pm

Any stage IV's out there been put on Xeloda for "maintenance?" My husband starts tomorrow after his latest scan showed some of his many tumors shrunk and the rest stayed stable. He's pretty nervous about it. He'll take 2000 mg twice a day for 2 weeks then be off for one week.

The onc said that the expected amount of time this protocol should control the cancer is 6 months but she's had patients on it for 12-18 months and as little as 3 months.

1. How long did this protocol keep your cancer at bay? What did you do when it stopped working?
2. How much Xeloda did you take; how many days on and off; and did you also have Avastin infusions? His onc said he could have the Avastin if he wants to come in for the infusion every 3 weeks...seems weird to make that a choice. Thoughts?
3. Did "maintenance " cause any reduction in your tumors or just stability?

Thanks for your input.
DH dx 12/16, age 56, stage IV, mets to liver and lungs
5 tx Folfox + Avastin + clinical trial, 1/17-3/17, good results
Immunotherapy in Germany + 3 TACE, 2 TPCE (3/17-6/17)
Folfox + Avastin 8/17, 4 tx
10/17 xeloda + Avastin
12/17 PET negative in liver and lungs. Primary tumor thriving
1/6/18 LAR, temp loop ileostomy, horrible complications, 10 weeks in hospital, still recovering, 4/18.
4/30/18: Y90 to left lobe of liver
6/18: ablations to liver + lung mets

rp1954

Re: Curious about "maintenance"

Postby rp1954 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:43 am

That's a conventional Xeloda maintenance plan.

Wife uses continuous daily chemo with extra adjuncts like celebrex and heavy duty supplements, slowly changed until the various markers improve. We have picked off several scanned objects each in the peritoneum, liver and lungs at different times with changing off label extras guided by lab work. We track some extra markers beyond CEA. We improve formulation based on bloodwork and pound on any markers that rise.

Markers recede and lesions seem to shrink, breakup, dissolve or petrify in distinct eras or episodes, following chemistry changes. With some variation in the mild off label drugs and heavy duty supplements over time, we have managed to keep the 5FU chemo portion active for well over 7 years with a few, mild side effects.
watchful, active researcher and caregiver for stage IVb/c CC. surgeries 4/10 sigmoid etc & 5/11 para-aortic LN cluster; 8 yrs immuno-Chemo for mCRC; now no chemo
most of 2010 Life Extension recommendations and possibilities + more, some (much) higher, peaking ~2011-12, taper chemo to almost nothing mid 2018, IV C-->2021. Now supplements

mhf1986

Postby mhf1986 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:28 pm

DH hopes to go on Xeloda next week, wish he could have back in June when he discontinued the OX. If the CT scan shows nothing major on Monday, then it's maintenance Xeloda for as long as he can. Dr. did not give an option about the Avastin, he's getting it every 3 weeks. If there is some growth, I expect OX to be added back with the Xeloda. I guess that's known as CAPOX? Insurance company has approved Xeloda so we are just hanging out waiting for the scan now.

M
Caregiver to DH, dx @ 50, mets to liver/lungs, MSS, wild
9/16 CEA 114, blockage, left hemi, perm. colostomy
11/16 port in, FOLFOX + Avastin
6/17 CEA 15, 5FU + A only due to neuropathy
11/17 CEA 38, CAPOX + A
1/18 CAPOX = hi bilirubin/bad hfs, back to FOLFOX + A
5/18 growth; Vectibex + 75% Irinotecan
7/18 CEA 23, shrinkage
10/18 CEA 28, growth of 2 liver tumors/shrinkage of few and lung nodes
11/18 Lonsurf, looking at spheres, proton, trials
11/19/18 Peace

NHMike

Postby NHMike » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:54 pm

mhf1986 wrote:DH hopes to go on Xeloda next week, wish he could have back in June when he discontinued the OX. If the CT scan shows nothing major on Monday, then it's maintenance Xeloda for as long as he can. Dr. did not give an option about the Avastin, he's getting it every 3 weeks. If there is some growth, I expect OX to be added back with the Xeloda. I guess that's known as CAPOX? Insurance company has approved Xeloda so we are just hanging out waiting for the scan now.

M

XELOX I think.
6/17: ER rectal bleeding; Colonoscopy
7/17: 3B rectal. T3N1bM0. 5.2 4.5 4.3 cm. Lymphs: 6 x 4 mm, 8 x 6, 5 x 5
7/17-9/17: Xeloda radiation
7/5: CEA 2.7; 8/16: 1.9; 11/30: 0.6; 12/20 1.4; 1/10 1.8; 1/31 2.2; 2/28 2.6; 4/10 2.8; 5/1 2.8; 5/29 3.2; 7/13 4.5; 8/9 2.8, 2/12 1.2
MSS, KRAS G12D
10/17: 2.7 2.2 1.6 cm (-90%). Lymphs: 3 x 3 mm (-62.5%), 4 x 3 (-75%), 5 x 3 (-40%). 5.1 CM from AV
10/17: LAR, Temp Ileostomy, Path Complete Response
CapeOx (8) 12/17-6/18
7/18: Reversal, Port Removal
2/19: Clean CT

Faithandpeace

Postby Faithandpeace » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:09 am

rp1954 wrote:That's a conventional Xeloda maintenance plan.

Wife uses continuous daily chemo with extra adjuncts like celebrex and heavy duty supplements, slowly changed until the various markers improve. We have picked off several scanned objects each in the peritoneum, liver and lungs at different times with changing off label extras guided by lab work. We track some extra markers beyond CEA. We improve formulation based on bloodwork and pound on any markers that rise.

Markers recede and lesions seem to shrink, breakup, dissolve or petrify in distinct eras or episodes, following chemistry changes. With some variation in the mild off label drugs and heavy duty supplements over time, we have managed to keep the 5FU chemo portion active for well over 7 years with a few, mild side effects.

How I wish I could sit down with you, rp1954, and pick your brain! My gut tells me your approach is the right approach for us. I just don't know how you know which supplements and off-label drugs to use and what dosage. I've been combing the Life Extension website for a few months and right now I have him on Vit D3, Vit E, magnesium ascorbate, glutamine, curcumin, folic acid, Vit B6 and Tagamet. I'd like to add modified citrus pectin, aspirin and Celebrex but he's on enoxiparin because of blood clots (so aspirin is questionable) and I'm worried about the cardiac side effects of the Celebrex. Our onc is very dismissive of anything other than the treatment she prescribes so she's not going to order the extra blood work or prescribe off-label drugs at our request or help us figure out dosages, etc.

Do you have a doctor that helps you with all this? If so, where can I find such a doctor? I'm not willing to go the total naturopath route because I believe he needs some chemo.

Anyone know of such a doctor in Southern California?
10/17 xeloda + Avastin
1/6/18 LAR, temp loop ileostomy, horrible complications, 10 weeks in hospital, still recovering, 4/18.

NHMike

Postby NHMike » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:31 am

Faithandpeace wrote:

How I wish I could sit down with you, rp1954, and pick your brain! My gut tells me your approach is the right approach for us. I just don't know how you know which supplements and off-label drugs to use and what dosage. I've been combing the Life Extension website for a few months and right now I have him on Vit D3, Vit E, magnesium ascorbate, glutamine, curcumin, folic acid, Vit B6 and Tagamet. I'd like to add modified citrus pectin, aspirin and Celebrex but he's on enoxiparin because of blood clots (so aspirin is questionable) and I'm worried about the cardiac side effects of the Celebrex. Our onc is very dismissive of anything other than the treatment she prescribes so she's not going to order the extra blood work or prescribe off-label drugs at our request or help us figure out dosages, etc.

Do you have a doctor that helps you with all this? If so, where can I find such a doctor? I'm not willing to go the total naturopath route because I believe he needs some chemo.

I don't know anyone in California but know two in Massachusetts. One is at Dana Farber and he was referred to my by my radiation nurse and it turns out that my oncologist interned with him (if that's the proper term). I think that the guy is an oncologist but does a lot of lab stuff as well. The other guy was referred to by my sister. She has two friends that are Stage 4 but doing fairly well with the help of this guy. He has had cancer himself and is a doctor but specializes in the nutritional aspects of cancer treatment and he's in Lexington MA.
7/5: CEA 2.7; 8/16: 1.9; 11/30: 0.6; 12/20 1.4; 1/10 1.8; 1/31 2.2; 2/28 2.6; 4/10 2.8; 5/1 2.8; 5/29 3.2; 7/13 4.5; 8/9 2.8, 2/12 1.2
MSS, KRAS G12D
10/17: 2.7 2.2 1.6 cm (-90%). Lymphs: 3 x 3 mm (-62.5%), 4 x 3 (-75%), 5 x 3 (-40%). 5.1 CM from AV
CapeOx (8) 12/17-6/18

Faithandpeace

Postby Faithandpeace » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:02 pm

NHMike wrote:
Faithandpeace wrote:

I don't know anyone in California but know two in Massachusetts. One is at Dana Farber and he was referred to my by my radiation nurse and it turns out that my oncologist interned with him (if that's the proper term). I think that the guy is an oncologist but does a lot of lab stuff as well. The other guy was referred to by my sister. She has two friends that are Stage 4 but doing fairly well with the help of this guy. He has had cancer himself and is a doctor but specializes in the nutritional aspects of cancer treatment and he's in Lexington MA.

Thank you, NHMike. I would love to have those two names from you. It's definitely a place to start and, who knows, maybe one of them will know of a similar doctor out here in the west or maybe we'd be able to consult with him a few times, etc.
10/17 xeloda + Avastin

NHMike

Postby NHMike » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:27 pm

Faithandpeace wrote:
Thank you, NHMike. I would love to have those two names from you. It's definitely a place to start and, who knows, maybe one of them will know of a similar doctor out here in the west or maybe we'd be able to consult with him a few times, etc.

The first is at: http://www.lexingtonnaturalhealth.com/index.html

I couldn't find the name of the second but I just sent an email to my oncologist for the name.

Mike
MSS, KRAS G12D
CapeOx (8) 12/17-6/18

rp1954

Postby rp1954 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:19 pm

duplicate, please delete
Last edited by rp1954 on Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
watchful, active researcher and caregiver for stage IVb/c CC. surgeries 4/10 sigmoid etc & 5/11 para-aortic LN cluster; 8 yrs immuno-Chemo for mCRC; now no chemo
most of 2010 Life Extension recommendations and possibilities + more, some (much) higher, peaking ~2011-12, taper chemo to almost nothing mid 2018, IV C-->2021. Now supplements

rp1954

Postby rp1954 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:35 pm

Faithandpeace wrote: I just don't know how you know which supplements and off-label drugs to use and what dosage. I've been combing the Life Extension website for a few months and right now I have him on Vit D3, Vit E, magnesium ascorbate, glutamine, curcumin, folic acid, Vit B6 and Tagamet. I'd like to add modified citrus pectin, aspirin and Celebrex but he's on enoxiparin because of blood clots (so aspirin is questionable) and I'm worried about the cardiac side effects of the Celebrex.

The supplements look pretty incomplete to boost the chemo benefits for what we've seen work.
Folic acid is a serious mistake with 5FU drugs, other folate choices have been discussed here on the forum several times. High gamma tocopherol (extracted natural vitamin E mixture) and d-alpha tocopheryl succinate are usually the preferred vitamin E for integrative medicine; the common d,l-alpha tocopheryl acetate is not considered favorably, with known and suspected interferences.

We used LEF dosages as a starting point and grew from there. We are dependent on bloodwork for many aspects of adjunct selection, additions and higher dosages.

Blood clot and cancer issues often have overlap on both diagnostics (bloodwork) and natural therapies. We managed to avoid enoxiparin with enough natural components to work out hypercoagulability periods, my wife wouldn't handle the shots well for very long. However your husband may have bigger clot issues - that's why you need professional support, preferably several opinions early in any issues. In your situation we would be adding fibrinogen and quantitative d-dimer to the bloodwork more frequently, for both cancer and clot related assessments.

Our onc is very dismissive of anything other than the treatment she prescribes so she's not going to order the extra blood work or prescribe off-label drugs at our request or help us figure out dosages, etc.

We pretty much fire and forget about those (not-so-)kind of providers. One route is to find other drs with active interests in cancer patient support. We have an internal medicine dr who has an integrative approach and supports reasonable requests - pretty much everything we've asked for, even a specific chemo prescription. We also took control of our lab work long ago, although insurance interactions might be an issue. I would use a truncheon to discuss separate blood tests for those covered by insurance and those not covered, instead of all in one go.

The other common arrangement is doctors in tandem, the regular oncologist for chemo and a cancer oriented alternative MD or naturopath. However, the answers will be different (e.g. cyclic chemo instead of metronomic options) than with a cooperating MD.

where can I find such a doctor? I'm not willing to go the total naturopath route because I believe he needs some chemo.

I think most integrative doctors anticipate combined therapies with chemo.
Asking around friends and family, asking owners of health food stores and looking for professionals' cards.
Riordan Clinic does free phone conferences, and often will try to help find local doctors that do IV vitamin C; such IVC drs probably have other cancer support options.
Life Extension Foundation's cancer naturopaths are nominally free for 30 minute callback consults.
The Lexington outfit has a paid phone consultancy, charged by 10-15 minute increments.
You may be close enough to the border that the best of the Mexican clinics might help if they do consulting, but there are a lot of bells and whistles that I question the costs and effectiveness on.
There are several clinics that might available nationally, like Block.

mariane

Postby mariane » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:10 pm

Dear LifeandPeace,
I am a stage 4 cancer patient of Dr. Kemeny from MSKCC in NY. Have ever consider to consult her? I met many of her new patients and their disease often involved more than just liver. She is the "liver mets whisperer". Even without HAI pump usage , she has the greatest experience in treating colon cancer especially with multiple liver mets. Lung mets usually grow much slower.
Your husband responded well to chemo which is fantastic.
I had good results with FOLFIRINOX. I supported myself with curcumin, tones of green tea and cimetidine.
Aspirin and curcumin increase LDH. I saw it very clearly, especially post chemo with my sensitive organism. Dr. K did not recommend me curcumin. Each patient is different. Hard to find the best way.
I crossed the ocean to see Dr. K and it was the best decision in my life.
Good Luck!
mom of now 14 years old twins, dx @ 40 in 6/2015 with upper rectal cancer, 10+ liver mets, CEA 140
chemo: 8/2015 - 10/2016 - 4xFOLFIRINOX, 2xFOLFOX, 8xFOLFIRI, 10x5FU, HAI pump -12xFUDR
4 surgeries, complete pathological response
CEA<2 since 10/2015
NED since May 2016

I praise God for every day with my family!

zephyr

Postby zephyr » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:33 pm

Faithandpeace wrote:I'm not willing to go the total naturopath route because I believe he needs some chemo.

I started seeing a naturopath whose practice focuses on oncology. She never, ever suggested that I give up chemo; to the contrary, her recommendations were all clearly in addition to chemo and worked around my chemo schedule. Her primary goal was to help me with the side effects of the chemo which were on the edge of the intolerable cliff. My oncologist was supportive of this move and even helped me find a reputable resource where I could do research if I had questions about herbs and supplements, the science behind them, and how well they played with cancer and chemo.

It's only been about two weeks but my experience has been nothing short of remarkable. I haven't had energy levels like this since before the cancer, my gastrointestinal issues are more controllable and tolerable, and I just plain feel better. A lot better. I think it's an individual thing and this is just my experience. The downside is that my insurance covers almost none of the expense and it's pricey, but my quality of life is so much better that we have decided to continue as long as we can or until the treatments stop working or until the cancer is gone, whichever first occurs.

I hope this helps.
Nov-2009 Early stage CRC, routine colonoscopy
2010-2014 F/U colonoscopies, all clear
Jun-2016 CRC during F/U colonoscopy, surgery, Stage 4, KRAS, MSS
Aug-2016-May-2018 Folfox, 5FU, Folfiri & Avastin
Aug/Sep-2018 YAG laser surgeries (Germany), 11 nodules removed
Nov-2018 clean CT scan
Mar-2019 New lung nodules
Apr-2019 Dec-2020 Xeloda/Avastin, SBRT, cont. Xeloda/Avastin
Mar-2021 Forfiri/Avastin
Mar-2022 Ablation & Thoracotomy
Feb-2023 Folfiri & Avastin
Nov-2023 Xeloda & Avastin

Faithandpeace

Postby Faithandpeace » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:14 pm

mariane wrote:Dear LifeandPeace,
I am a stage 4 cancer patient of Dr. Kemeny from MSKCC in NY. Have ever consider to consult her? I met many of her new patients and their disease often involved more than just liver. She is the "liver mets whisperer". Even without HAI pump usage , she has the greatest experience in treating colon cancer especially with multiple liver mets. Lung mets usually grow much slower.
Your husband responded well to chemo which is fantastic.
I had good results with FOLFIRINOX. I supported myself with curcumin, tones of green tea and cimetidine.
Aspirin and curcumin increase LDH. I saw it very clearly, especially post chemo with my sensitive organism. Dr. K did not recommend me curcumin. Each patient is different. Hard to find the best way.
I crossed the ocean to see Dr. K and it was the best decision in my life.
Good Luck!

Thank you, Marianne, MSK keeps coming up for s so I do think I will check with your doctor. I was impressed with their "About Herbs" database.
10/17 xeloda + Avastin

Faithandpeace

Postby Faithandpeace » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:40 pm

Thank you, rp1954,

You've given me a lot to go on and I very much appreciate it. I may have more questions and I hope you don't mind me asking. But with your response and mariane's response and zephyr's response, I have enough research to keep me busy for a while.
10/17 xeloda + Avastin

Faithandpeace

Postby Faithandpeace » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:41 pm

zephyr wrote:
Faithandpeace wrote:I'm not willing to go the total naturopath route because I believe he needs some chemo.

I started seeing a naturopath whose practice focuses on oncology. She never, ever suggested that I give up chemo; to the contrary, her recommendations were all clearly in addition to chemo and worked around my chemo schedule. Her primary goal was to help me with the side effects of the chemo which were on the edge of the intolerable cliff. My oncologist was supportive of this move and even helped me find a reputable resource where I could do research if I had questions about herbs and supplements, the science behind them, and how well they played with cancer and chemo.

It's only been about two weeks but my experience has been nothing short of remarkable. I haven't had energy levels like this since before the cancer, my gastrointestinal issues are more controllable and tolerable, and I just plain feel better. A lot better. I think it's an individual thing and this is just my experience. The downside is that my insurance covers almost none of the expense and it's pricey, but my quality of life is so much better that we have decided to continue as long as we can or until the treatments stop working or until the cancer is gone, whichever first occurs.

I hope this helps.

Yes, zephyr, thank you, it does help. I did not know there were naturopaths that focus on cancer patient support.
10/17 xeloda + Avastin

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”