Digestive issues after rectal cancer treatment

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
KCP

Digestive issues after rectal cancer treatment

Postby KCP » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:06 pm

I was diagnosed in July 2015 with stage 3 rectal cancer. I had a colostomy and underwent treatment until June 2016. Radiation and 5FU, tumor removal, and 5FU and oxaliplatin. My colostomy was reversed in December 2016. Since then, I have had ongoing issues with food. I can no longer eat any form of tomato, including all sauces with tomato. I have trouble with any skinned fruit and any raw vegetables. My diet has gone to almost all carbohydrates and protein with my weight going up.
Does anyone else have this issue? I would like to have a more balanced diet, but every time I try, the subsequent 20 to 30 bowel movements the next day, along with the severe irritation of anal tissue isn't worth it. My colon doctor says every rectal cancer patient is different.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
59 yo female
Diagnosed July 2015 with stage 3 rectal cancer
Colostomy
Radiation and 5 FU
Surgery to remove tumor in December 2015
Chemotherapy until June 2016 with gall bladder removal during treatment
Colostomy reversed December 2016
June 2017 CAT scan all clear :D

Lee

Re: Digestive issues after rectal cancer treatment

Postby Lee » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:31 pm

So sorry you are dealing with this problem. I have a permanent colostomy because of radiation damage, and having to spend 3+ hours on toilet anytime I ate, so I do feel for you.

BRAT (Bananas, Rice, Apple, Toast) has been known to help people with bathroom issues. Many people have found daily enemas to also be successful. Use the search bar and look up daily enemas. There are a few people here who logged there experiences with daily enemas. Tammylane (sp?) is one such person.

I know of a few people who chose to get there colostomy back due to bathroom issues.

Hope this helps, hopefully others will chime in shortly,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

susie0915
Facebook Username: Susan DeGrazia Hostetter

Postby susie0915 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:49 pm

I am one of the daily enema people Lee speaks of. I was diagnosed around the same time as you and finished treatment in April 2016. I did have my reversal 4 weeks after my resection due to a bowel blockage and the surgeon had to do surgery to remove scar tissue. Made it tougher during chemo but I made it though. I tried different things for 10 months and ended up at the bowel control clinic at the university of Michigan. The Dr there did some tests recommended pelvic floor physical therapy and meeting with the dietician. Which I did and was helpful.
I told him my issue wasn't so much diarrhea but frequent small bms. He asked if I ever considered suppositories or enemas to to get full evacuation of the large bowel. I had to do a tap water enema for one of the tests and felt good all day. I began doing them every morning and empty enough that I'm good all day until the next morning. It has become part of my daily routine and takes about 30 minutes. It has changed my life. I'm not afraid to eat most things, I don't stress about going places and having to go to the restroom, I don't need to take Imodium or lomotil, my bottom feels much better, and I have been able to gain some weight back.
It is quite simple but takes time to get comfortable and make a part of your routine. There are many on this forum that use the daily enema with great success. If you plug daily enema into topics you will get a lot of information. It's safe and has given me my life back.
58 yrs old Dx @ 55
5/15 DX T3N0MO
6/15 5 wks chemo/rad
7/15 sigmoidoscopy/only scar tissue left
8/15 PET scan NED
9/15 LAR
0/24 nodes
10/15 blockage. surgery,early ileo rev, c-diff inf :(
12/15 6 rds of xelox
5/16 CT lung scarring/inflammation
9/16 clear colonoscopy
4/17 C 4mm lung nod
10/17 pel/abd CT NED
11/17 CEA<.5
1/18 CT/Lung no change in 4mm nodule
5/18 CEA<.5, CT pel/abd/lung NED
11/18 CEA .6
5/19 CT NED, CEA <.5
10/19 Clear colonscopy
11/19 CEA <.5

O Stoma Mia

Postby O Stoma Mia » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:54 pm

KCP wrote:... Does anyone else have this issue? I would like to have a more balanced diet, but every time I try, the subsequent 20 to 30 bowel movements the next day, along with the severe irritation of anal tissue isn't worth it...

Yes, I have had the same problem for over 5 years now. If I knew of a general solution to this problem I would post it so that others might benefit from it.

The way I deal with the problem is by maintaining a list of banned foods/beverages that I don't eat or drink anymore. This works for me, but as you say, it results in a very unbalanced diet, unfortunately.

You might try going through some of the solutions proposed by the major hospitals that have bowel management programs. You might find something there that works for you.

Some of the major bowel management resources are mentioned in this post:

http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=58897&p=464365#p464365

Buckeye

Postby Buckeye » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:17 pm

I had most of my rectum removed due to Rectal cancer. After my reversal I was like you 20+ time a day. You can try this. It has worked for me as I now only go about 3x a day . Some days are better than others.

1. Start a probiotic like ALIGN. They are expensive but they work. Costco sells a 2 month supply for 55 dollars.
2. Take Metamucil sugar free everyday with your biggest meal. I drink mine with dinner.
3 my doctor told me to take an Imodium every day. Ever sense I have done these three things together my bowels are predictable. There may still be some things that make you go more often, avoid them as you learn.

Hope this helps. God bless .
Dx 10/20/15 stage 1 T1N0M0 1.3cmx1.1cmx1cm low grade ( well to moderately differentiated) Rectal cancer age 47
Loving Husband and father of two girls age 19 & 15 Sole income provider
CEA <0.5
CT, MRI and PET show no metastatic spread
LAR Laparoscopic TME 11/30/15 with Illo
Pathology clean no lymph node or vascular involvement. Confirmed Stage1
No chemo/rad cancer free now and forever.
Illo reversal 01/26/16

tarheelmom

Postby tarheelmom » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:19 pm

You may have LARS (Low Anterior Resection Syndrome). Unfortunately for me, it seems to be an individual trial and error journey to find what foods are tolerable. Those tolerable foods seem to vary. I also feel as if my diet is more carb heavy since many vegetables and salad are on my "bad" list. There are other ways to manage bowel issues including pelvic floor PT, biofeedback, and enemas. Good luck.
52 y at dx, mom to 4
DX: RC on 2/22/2016
Stage I, T2N0M0, 0/32 LN
23 mm x 7 mm moderately differentiated invasive adenocarcinoma
3 cm from anal verge
4/12/16: ULAR, TME, & temp ileostomy
6/14/16: ileo reversal

zephyr

Postby zephyr » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:51 am

Try smaller meals and eat only cooked fruits and vegetables. In my experience, it won't solve the problem but it will help.
Nov-2009 Early stage CRC, routine colonoscopy
2010-2014 F/U colonoscopies, all clear
Jun-2016 CRC during F/U colonoscopy, surgery, Stage 4, KRAS, MSS
Aug-2016-May-2018 Folfox, 5FU, Folfiri & Avastin
Aug/Sep-2018 YAG laser surgeries (Germany), 11 nodules removed
Nov-2018 clean CT scan
Mar-2019 New lung nodules
Apr-2019 Dec-2020 Xeloda/Avastin, SBRT, cont. Xeloda/Avastin
Mar-2021 Forfiri/Avastin
Mar-2022 Ablation & Thoracotomy
Feb-2023 Folfiri & Avastin
Nov-2023 Xeloda & Avastin

chemo sabe

Postby chemo sabe » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:23 pm

Both the ascending and descending parts of my colon were resectioned. The upper portion was due to an area of flat polyps. the lower part had already become cancerous. So my colon is quite a bit shorter than it used to be. Lots of stuff that if I eat it, I am headed for a bathroom. I can eat Fresh salad is one, a couple glasses of that fancy tomato juice is another, a bowl of Life cereal might do the trick as well. I can eat canned beans and grilled chicken breast is a favorite of mine. so there are things I can eat and still maintain a healthy weight. My surgeon told me that I have had a very good outcome - that tells me something. You will have to experiment and find a good path. I wish you well.
64 year old male
Diagnosed Stage 3 Rectal Cancer - T3N1M0 - Oct 2011
28 radiation treatments with xeloda
Colon resection with ileostomy Feb 2012
8 Rounds of Xelox completed Sept 2012
Ileostomy reversal surgery Oct 2012
Incisional Hernia Repair Nov 2013

tammylayne

Postby tammylayne » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:41 am

Daily enema all the way!!!! 20 to 30 was my norm. too. Now...30 minutes and done. I can eat almost anything,,,,big salads I save for home consumtion just un case. PM if you want deets
51 F
'06 Stage 1 CC,
'10 Stage 3 Rectal

"You never know how strong you are until you have to become your own hero."

KCP

Postby KCP » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:00 am

Thank you all for the great advice. They give me quite a few options. I'm meeting with a nutritionist on Thursday. This is a wonderful site; I've been looking for a place where I can get some answers.
59 yo female
Diagnosed July 2015 with stage 3 rectal cancer
Colostomy
Radiation and 5 FU
Surgery to remove tumor in December 2015
Chemotherapy until June 2016 with gall bladder removal during treatment
Colostomy reversed December 2016
June 2017 CAT scan all clear :D

susie0915

Postby susie0915 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:51 pm

KCP wrote:Thank you all for the great advice. They give me quite a few options. I'm meeting with a nutritionist on Thursday. This is a wonderful site; I've been looking for a place where I can get some answers.

I found it helpful when I met with the dietician. She started me on a FODMAP diet. It is somewhat restrictive. No gluten, dairy, high fructose corn syrup. Then foods are added slowly to see what may give a bad reaction. It helped me identify certain foods I may want to avoid. Once I started doing the enemas though, I have been able to eat pretty much what I want, but I do still try to be careful and not overdo it. Good luck, I hope you find some answers and success. But, if you have any questions about the daily enema you can pm myself or Tammylayne. It may sound like a strange solution to you, but it really isn't bad at all. Kind of like patients that have a permanent colostomy and irrigate rather than wear a bag. But many do find solutions with time, diet, meds, and physical therapy. Again, good luck.
58 yrs old Dx @ 55
5/15 DX T3N0MO
6/15 5 wks chemo/rad
8/15 PET scan NED
9/15 LAR
0/24 nodes
12/15 6 rds of xelox
9/16 clear colonoscopy
4/17 C 4mm lung nod
10/17 pel/abd CT NED
11/17 CEA<.5
1/18 CT/Lung no change in 4mm nodule
5/18 CEA<.5, CT pel/abd/lung NED
11/18 CEA .6
5/19 CT NED, CEA <.5
10/19 Clear colonscopy
11/19 CEA <.5

ozziej

Postby ozziej » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:21 pm

I've found that blitzed soups are an excellent way of getting the nutrients from vegetables that would otherwise cause problems in their raw or even whole cooked state. Start out with safe ones like potato sweet potato and pumpkin and then add in a new vegetable when you make a fresh batch. I have LARS but can now tolerate broccoli capsicum eggplant zucchini baby squash carrot and mushroom when blitzed in a soup. Try to eat small meals. Lactose free milk cheese yoghurt and ice cream can help. If you're not on it already there is a Facebook page called Living with low anterior resection syndrome where you will be made most welcome.
F 56 dx 11/14 Stage 1 RC (post EMR)
No neo-adjuvant or adjuvant chemo/RD
3/15 ULAR (open) temp loop ileo
5/15 ileo reversal
NED and hoping to stay that way!! : )

rockhound

Postby rockhound » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:43 am

Buckeye wrote:I had most of my rectum removed due to Rectal cancer. After my reversal I was like you 20+ time a day. You can try this. It has worked for me as I now only go about 3x a day . Some days are better than others.

1. Start a probiotic like ALIGN. They are expensive but they work. Costco sells a 2 month supply for 55 dollars.
2. Take Metamucil sugar free everyday with your biggest meal. I drink mine with dinner.
3 my doctor told me to take an Imodium every day. Ever sense I have done these three things together my bowels are predictable. There may still be some things that make you go more often, avoid them as you learn.

I agree with all this- I'm now ~5 weeks from my stoma reversal surgery and everything keeps getting better (tumor was ~6 cm from anal verge). I still have clustering, but over the last 1.5 weeks has transitioned mainly to morning. I take a probiotic, plus the metamucil (wafers or powdered drink- take in morning). I actually just traveled for ~6 days to a professional conference, which included two 3.5 hr plane flights. Took immodium on the flight home and did not have to leave the seat!!! All was totally manageable with the travel, etc. and I ate whatever I wanted to while out at the conference (lots of veggies, etc. Actually had a gigantic salad yesterday and no problems). Things have gotten continuously better since the reversal and I went from 20+ times a day to this - just try different routines and do what your surgeon/nurses suggest.
45 yr old male
Diagnosed December 2016, age 41
Stage 1/IIA rectal cancer - T2/3N0M0 via MRI (MRI indicates stage 1; onc/surgeon = stage 2a)
Lynch syndrome, MSH6 mutation, MSI
2 to 3/2017 Xeloda + Radiation
5/10/17 - Robotic LAR with temp. loop illeostomy, 0/20 lymph nodes
6 to 7/2017 - Six cycles Folfox @ full strength
9/20/17 - Ileostomy takedown
10/17 - CT, NED
5/18 - CT, NED
11/18 - CT, NED
5/19 - CT, NED..moving to yearly CT scans
5/20 - CT, NED
5/21 - CT, NED (4 yr. scan)

rockhound

Postby rockhound » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:35 pm

rockhound wrote:
Buckeye wrote:I had most of my rectum removed due to Rectal cancer. After my reversal I was like you 20+ time a day. You can try this. It has worked for me as I now only go about 3x a day . Some days are better than others.

I agree with all this- I'm now ~5 weeks from my stoma reversal surgery and everything keeps getting better (tumor was ~6 cm from anal verge). I still have clustering, but over the last 1.5 weeks has transitioned mainly to morning. I take a probiotic, plus the metamucil (wafers or powdered drink- take in morning). I actually just traveled for ~6 days to a professional conference, which included two 3.5 hr plane flights. Took immodium on the flight home and did not have to leave the seat!!! All was totally manageable with the travel, etc. and I ate whatever I wanted to while out at the conference (lots of veggies, etc. Actually had a gigantic salad yesterday and no problems). Things have gotten continuously better since the reversal and I went from 20+ times a day to this - just try different routines and do what your surgeon/nurses suggest.

Spoke too soon- the salad is making me pay today!!! Just lots of bathroom stops... still worth eating it though :)
45 yr old male
Diagnosed December 2016, age 41
Stage 1/IIA rectal cancer - T2/3N0M0 via MRI (MRI indicates stage 1; onc/surgeon = stage 2a)
Lynch syndrome, MSH6 mutation, MSI
2 to 3/2017 Xeloda + Radiation
5/10/17 - Robotic LAR with temp. loop illeostomy, 0/20 lymph nodes
6 to 7/2017 - Six cycles Folfox @ full strength
9/20/17 - Ileostomy takedown
10/17 - CT, NED
5/18 - CT, NED
11/18 - CT, NED
5/19 - CT, NED..moving to yearly CT scans
5/20 - CT, NED
5/21 - CT, NED (4 yr. scan)

susie0915

Postby susie0915 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:29 pm

rockhound wrote:
rockhound wrote:

Spoke too soon- the salad is making me pay today!!! Just lots of bathroom stops... still worth eating it though :)

You're still doing really well. Even before resection bad days can happen. So happy to hear you are having such success.
58 yrs old Dx @ 55
5/15 DX T3N0MO
6/15 5 wks chemo/rad
8/15 PET scan NED
9/15 LAR
0/24 nodes
12/15 6 rds of xelox
9/16 clear colonoscopy
4/17 C 4mm lung nod