Diagnosed stage 4 cc from CT

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
AdamC

Diagnosed stage 4 cc from CT

Postby AdamC » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:56 am

Hi All,

I have just recently been diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer with liver mets, this was diagnosed from results of CT scan, 3 days after diagnosis I suffered from a stroke as a result of non infective endocarditis caused by I’m told the underlying malignancy which causes blood to clot. I have yet to meet oncologist as my colonoscopy biopsy produced a negative result for cancer which doctors seem pretty sure is incorrect due to spots on my liver and clotting. I guess I’m just wondering is it possible to diagnose stage 4 cancer from CT scan alone?

Thanks
Adam

stu

Re: Diagnosed stage 4 cc from CT

Postby stu » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:30 pm

Hi ,
Welcome to the forum . I am sorry about your diagnosis. My mum was diagnosed by a cat scan . The liver tumours were clear even to me. Although they nearly missed the bowel tumour as it had folded over on itself and it was a junior doctor who asked the consultant to go back a little and then they noticed it had banded round her colon and folded over . When they sent her for a cat scan they then found the spread to her liver . As you will see from my signature on her behalf she had responded well to treatment and once she got over the initial shock and a treatment plan put together things eased a bit .
I wish you every success getting your treatment pulled together .
Take care ,
Stu
supporter to my mum who lives a great life despite a difficult diagnosis
stage4 2009 significant spread to liver
2010 colon /liver resection
chemo following recurrence
73% of liver removed
enjoying life treatment free
2016 lung resection
Oct 2017 nice clear scan . Two lung nodules disappeared
Oct 2018. Another clear scan .

NedPlease

Postby NedPlease » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:46 pm

Hello Adam
I'm very sorry you've had to come on board here but it's a supportive and informative place to be. I do believe late stage cancer can be diagnosed from only a scan.

This waiting for more information is a particularly terrible time. Things should soon fall into place with a plan of action making you feel more settled with the situation.
Certainly a stroke complication plus an inconclusive scope isn't helping here.

Educate yourself to be your own best advocate and know that you may make it out of this cancer chaos. Many stage fours have with myself being almost six years from a recurrance.

Look at creating a signature for yourself once you know more details so members can be more helpful in responding to any questions.

Best to you,
N
F-54- St 4- Ascend Colon, 2 Liver mets, Poorly dif, Mutant
6/10- Folfox
9/10- R Liver Resect/Colon/Gall/Appendix
11/10-3/11- Folfox
11/11- R Lung, 1 met, VATS
3/12- 9/12- Xeloda
2/12- 6/18 Clear Scans
6/19- first time no scan
Today- NED

Lee

Postby Lee » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:55 pm

Hi and welcome,

You might want to get a PET scan, if that tumor is cancerous, that test should confirm it. An MRI might be better for determining if the spot in your liver is cancerous. Since you are dealing with a (possible) stage IV diagnoses, I would recommend getting a 2nd opinion at a major cancer treatment center.

Have you recovered from the stroke? How old are you? When do you see the Onc? Is surgery an option?

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

AdamC

Postby AdamC » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:21 pm

Thanks for replies.

I’m 35 years old. Yes I have recovered quite well from stroke just a small bit of weakness on left hand side but should make full recovery, I’m now being injectors daily with blood thinner to avoid recurrence. I am currently in hospital under care of stroke team and have not met an oncologist yet they want to do another colonoscopy this week before I meet an oncologist they are reluctant to take biopsy of liver due to fact I am on blood thinners, it’s been over two weeks since I was given diagnosis by ER doctor who examined CT scan. All doctors seem pretty sure it’s malignant due to clotting and spots on liver I guess I’m still hoping they are something else but don’t think doctors would have told me I’ve stage 4 cancer if they weren’t sure. They also said it was inoperable because I had spots on both sides of liver.

Lee

Postby Lee » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:46 pm

AdamC wrote:Thanks for replies.
They also said it was inoperable because I had spots on both sides of liver.

Not sure where you are at, butt at some major cancer treatment centers, many people have had great success with a HAI (Hepatic Arterial Infusion) procedure. A round disc that is actually put in the liver and chemo is delivered directly to the liver from this disc.

Memorial Sloan Kettering in New York City is one of those hospitals. Butt yes you will need chemo first. MD Anderson is also another good hospital. Butt there are many other major cancer treatment centers. Butt not many hospital do the HAI procedure, butt it is gaining in popularity.

One of the reasons for getting a 2nd opinion at a major cancer treatment center is because you want team of Dr.(s) who are up on the newest procedures and a team that will treat your cancer aggressively. You are young.

Hope this helps,

Lee
46 yrs old at diagnoses
radiation - 6 weeks
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX

Lee

Postby Lee » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:02 pm

Educate yourself to be your own best advocate and know that you may make it out of this cancer chaos. Many stage fours have with myself being almost six years from a recurrance.
Best to you,
N

That is some pretty good advice there. There are a few sticky at the top of this forum you might want to look at. Especially if you are bored in the hospital.

Lee
46 yrs old at diagnoses
radiation - 6 weeks
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX

AdamC

Postby AdamC » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:30 pm

I had another colonoscopy today surgeon informed me mass was on the right side which I believe is worse than left. Hopefully I will now get to meet oncologist for the full story although I’m not expecting good news. I’m researching chemothermia in Istanbul which is getting posive results metabolically and als M.D. Anderson for HAI, I’m based in Dublin, Ireland but will travel anywhere in the hope of cure

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:12 pm

I'm sorry you're going through this and hope you don't have to wait long to see an oncologist!*hugs*
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:21 pm

AdamC wrote:I had another colonoscopy today surgeon informed me mass was on the right side which I believe is worse than left. Hopefully I will now get to meet oncologist for the full story although I’m not expecting good news. I’m researching chemothermia in Istanbul which is getting posive results metabolically and als M.D. Anderson for HAI, I’m based in Dublin, Ireland but will travel anywhere in the hope of cure

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis Adam. Since you're able to travel for treatment, you may want to consider MSKCC in NYC. Dr. Nancy Kemeny uses the HAI treatment, and gets amazing results. She has an 80% survival rate at the 5 yer mark with her patients. I'm including a link referencing a previous thread which discusses this.

viewtopic.php?t=51430

Best Wishes,
peanut
female, diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

Lee

Postby Lee » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:34 pm

Ditto to what peanut said,

Lee
46 yrs old at diagnoses
radiation - 6 weeks
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX

NedPlease

Postby NedPlease » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:36 pm

It's been a few years for me, but Dr Kemeny at MSK saw me right away once she knew I hadn't yet started treatment under another oncologist. If I had, she'd have seen me much later. Just something to consider/investigate since you're at the earliest stage of treatment decisions.

Ultimately, I did not receive treatment directly from her but I was thrilled to have her opinion as I navigated through the process with my doctors.

Do-overs are not likely in a stage four situation so I was determined to get the best opinions.

Patients from all over the world are in that MSK waiting room.

N
F-54- St 4- Ascend Colon, 2 Liver mets, Poorly dif, Mutant
6/10- Folfox
9/10- R Liver Resect/Colon/Gall/Appendix
11/10-3/11- Folfox
11/11- R Lung, 1 met, VATS
3/12- 9/12- Xeloda
2/12- 6/18 Clear Scans
6/19- first time no scan
Today- NED

AdamC

Postby AdamC » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:18 pm

I got my histology report today and it’s not great I have invasive poorly differentiated adenocarcinoma with rare signet ring forms which also has liver and peri mets. This diagnosis terrifies me as this type ofcancer is rare and prognosis is bleak.

susie0915
Facebook Username: Susan DeGrazia Hostetter

Postby susie0915 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:04 pm

I am so sorry for your diagnosis. There are many here that have responded positively to treatment with stage IV cancer. Now is time to get all information you can about treatment options. As many here will recommend find a top rate cancer center. If you are willing and able to travel, I am sure there are many that can be recommended by members of this forum. I received treatment from a good cancer hospital in Michigan, but my treatment was pretty standard. I still did seek 2nd opinions and went with the a different hospital than where I was originally diagnosed. I met with surgeons, oncologists, and radiation oncologists from each hospital and even though treatment was going to be the same at each cancer center, I chose the one I felt most comfortable. Good Luck with your search for treatment options and use all the knowledge from this forum to help you.
58 yrs old Dx @ 55
5/15 DX T3N0MO
6/15 5 wks chemo/rad
7/15 sigmoidoscopy/only scar tissue left
8/15 PET scan NED
9/15 LAR
0/24 nodes
10/15 blockage. surgery,early ileo rev, c-diff inf :(
12/15 6 rds of xelox
5/16 CT lung scarring/inflammation
9/16 clear colonoscopy
4/17 C 4mm lung nod
10/17 pel/abd CT NED
11/17 CEA<.5
1/18 CT/Lung no change in 4mm nodule
5/18 CEA<.5, CT pel/abd/lung NED
11/18 CEA .6
5/19 CT NED, CEA <.5
10/19 Clear colonscopy
11/19 CEA <.5

Shana

Postby Shana » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:13 am

AdamC wrote:I got my histology report today and it’s not great I have invasive poorly differentiated adenocarcinoma with rare signet ring forms which also has liver and peri mets. This diagnosis terrifies me as this type ofcancer is rare and prognosis is bleak.

Adam,

I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I know the prognosis is frightening but you must fight this and find the right treatment center. I was diagnosed from a CT in the ER last December, then confirmed with biopsy through colonoscopy but the CT was very clear of both colon mass and liver metastasis. My cancer is more run of the mill but the location isn't good and I have not been a candidate for removal as yet. Lots of chemo ahead of me and a lot of uncertainty.

I know a positive attitude won't cure you but maybe it will help you cope while you seek and undergo treatment. Go for the best doctors and cancer center that you can travel too for the best possible outcome. I hope you have famiy and friends to support you, let them help anyway they can and stay strong!

Sending you hugs and positive thoughts!
DX - 12/16
MSS - KRAS wild
Well-differentiated adenocarcinoma at splenic flexure
Stage IV CC with liver mets
5FU - Failed twice - 1/17 and 3/17
Irinotecan + Cetuximab: 8/17
Irinotecan and Erbitux ran it's course. CEA rising
Primary tumor invaded tail of pancreas and spleen. Liver mets major concern
Y-90 radioembolization on 9/17/18, liver enzyymes have dropped. 10 Radiation treatments to primary tumor completed too. CT scan Nov to assess overall situation...

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”