Bowel resection recovery

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Katzak
Facebook Username: Kathryn Davidson

Bowel resection recovery

Postby Katzak » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:13 pm

Hi I had part of my sigmoid colon out 2 weeks ago, resection no stoma.It was unplanned so didn't really look into it and its not easy finding out the relevant stuff! Am doing pretty well except ive developed constant lower back pain which radiates to my legs and knees,its relentless. Quite a large lump under the abdominal incision too.Bowels are OK working wise so I dont think its constipation. Am determined not to go docs unless I really have to...!Thanks advance

Lee

Re: Bowel resection recovery

Postby Lee » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:40 pm

Hi and welcome, sorry for the reason you are here. Since you are 2 weeks out from surgery and experiencing pain, call the surgeon's office. Could be nothing serious, or something that needs medical attention.

Do you know what stage you are,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

MissMolly

Re: Bowel resection recovery

Postby MissMolly » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:54 pm

Katzak:
I would recommend that you place a call to your surgeon.

The bump under the incision line is likely a seroma.

A seroma is a collection of interstitial fluid and white blood cells and macrophages - all cellular components that your body recruits for repair and healing but which are not adequately recirculated back into the bloodstream and lymphatic vessels.

Some seromas disappear in their own as the body refinds the means to clear the fluid accumulation by absorbing the fluid and excreting through action of the kidneys and liver. Some seromas require tapping and draining by interventional radiology (to assure placement of the drain).

The sciatic nerve and femoral nerve bundles lie in the lower pelvis. Post-operative inflammation and the trauma of surgical handling can cause nerve root irritation.

It would be wise to see your physician to get a hands-on evaluation. Sensory nerves once irritated can become a source of chronic pain. It is always best to identify the source of nerve irritation as early as possible so that treatment/remedies to ease pressure/irritation are minimised and quell pain before it becomes eatablished and chronic.

Gentle walking up a mild/slight incline might help to stretch the posterior leg structures and ease your pain if it is due to sciatica.
Karen
Dear friend to Bella Piazza, former Colon Club member (NWGirl).
I have a permanent ileostomy and offer advice on living with an ostomy - in loving remembrance of Bella
I am on Palliative Care for broad endocrine failure + Addison's disease + osteonecrosis of both hips/jaw + immunosuppression. I live a simple life due to frail health.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”